Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ndevans »

Judge wrote:
ndevans wrote: I'm really sorry to hear about Honey, I think she enjoyed this year's trip as much as we did.
Thanks Bill, we think she enjoyed sitting in her bed on the back seat being chauffered around. Queen Poodle we called her!

Anyway, since I should be a bit more prepared this year not having any last minute welding to do (touches traveller wood) or seats to put in, we should be able to stay at or near the same places as the rest of the group, we won't be limited to Travel Lodges like this year (because they are dog friendly).

And I still have an exhaust after 3000 miles!
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Bump :D
rayofleamington
MMOC Member: No

Post by rayofleamington »

Hi Bill - I just looked in the events calendar and you're not in there yet....
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/mmoc.php?page=356
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

I need to get a consensus on the start and finish dates first Ray :o

How would everyone feel about starting from Lands End on Sunday 3rd August, driving a scenic route to John O'Groats taking in as many attractions en route as possible, attending the rally on Sunday 10th August, and then either 'doing your own thing' or doing a similar scenic return trip to finish on Saturday 16th August 8)
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

That's a bit long for me, I might still have to do the shortened wednesday to wednesday version better known as BOB
Bedford , Orkney, Bedford!

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

BOB
:lol: Bedford Or Bust :lol:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

RogerRust wrote:That's a bit long for me, I might still have to do the shortened wednesday to wednesday version better known as BOB
Bedford , Orkney, Bedford!
As I say Roger, I'm still waiting for a consensus so nothing's set in stone yet.

I only wish I could get more feedback :(
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Kevin wrote:
BOB
:lol: Bedford Or Bust :lol:
Are you coming Kevin, or have you still got that mileage restrictor fitted :roll: :wink:
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Judge wrote:I need to get a consensus on the start and finish dates first Ray :o

How would everyone feel about starting from Lands End on Sunday 3rd August, driving a scenic route to John O'Groats taking in as many attractions en route as possible, attending the rally on Sunday 10th August, and then either 'doing your own thing' or doing a similar scenic return trip to finish on Saturday 16th August 8)
Those dates work fine for us. We might do our own thing on the way back.

As suggested earlier on in this thread, those that can't make the full itinerary could arrange to meet the rest of the group in Scotland for the last day's run up to JoG or just meet for the boat from Gills Bay.

Here's a thought-60th anniversary year-60 Minors on the boat??? A bit optimistic perhaps....

cheers,
Neil
cheers N

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Nothing wrong with being optimistic Neil :D Perhaps when others read this years LEO Run article in Minor Matters we'll get a few more definite entrants :D
trenowin
Minor Friendly

Post by trenowin »

It was a good report and pictures in Minor Matters glad you had a great time , look forward to seeing you all next year, keep me in touch with the dates nearer the time and we will try to arrange something this end again. :D
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Thanks Steve.

I am hoping that we can make it a very special run next year, and commerorate the Minors 60th Anniversary in style.

Hopefully the report might encourge a few more to join us :D
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

hi judge :D

thank you for organising this again :D

I will read your report, and Alex's write-up, and get back to you. As you know I'd prefer a scenic route, driving for no more than about three or four hours a day, otherwise I may pack up en route - I don't want to need rescuing! lol :lol:

Anyone else want to join a "slow-coaches" party? :D

Will also need to compute the financial aspect :-?

As I say, I'll get back to you - I'm dead keen, if I can work out a feasible way of participating! 8)
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

No problem :D

The idea this time is to use as scenic a route as possible, and include as many attractions as feasible. This will naturally depend on the number of entrants and their commitments, but hopefully we will be able to sort something out to suit everyone :D

PS It would be nice to get a few more LCV's. Russ are you reading this :wink:
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Can I suggest that we get say 2 or 3 alternative scenic routes posted up on here, then take a poll and do whichever turns out to be the most popular?

If we are planning to start on the Sunday and finish in Orkney on the Friday, then we need to be doing about 150-200 miles per day, which should be possible in 3-4 hrs driving, even on A roads.

As for costs, well we did 2300 miles at an average of 36mpg. Can't do the maths in my head, but that will give you an idea of the fuel costs.

We stayed in Travelodges which were about £55 per night for a double room. B & B's may be cheaper, and youth hostels cheaper still, but not to everyone's taste. It would be good to try to arrange to stay within say a couple of miles of each other as a group then we can meet up for a meal in the evenings.

cheers,
Neil
cheers N

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

ndevans wrote:Can I suggest that we get say 2 or 3 alternative scenic routes posted up on here, then take a poll and do whichever turns out to be the most popular?
Again no problem, but at the moment we could end up with more routes than we have entrants :o

Come on you lot, where's your pioneering spirit. Do you really prefer talking about and working on the cars to driving them :roll:

Interestingly in the latest issue of Minor Matters, in relation to attracting younger members someone has suggested "...more exciting long distance rallies...." WELL!!!!! :-?
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

I like the tiniest roads possible. B roads are like motorways to me :wink: If anyone else did want to do a loooong, leisurely, scenic route then I would be happy to make suggestions to Judge for a suitably convoluted one.

Or we could have a medium-scenic route on the LEO itself, and I'll work myself up a nice tootling route from, and to, home 8)

Youth hostels are, despite the current state of the YHA :roll: , my preferred accommodation, purely from a cost point of view (normally I like them from a social point of view too, but on an organised Club rally I'm thinking I won't want additional social burnishing :D ) The bunks are like rocks but I stack mattresses and duvets like the princess and the pea 8)

wibble xx
mal
Minor Addict

2008 LEO (Lands End to Orkney) Run

Post by mal »

Wish I was fit enough to do it :-? if only I could turn the clocks back a few year :wink: :lol:

Mal
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

I am sure you would if you could Mal, just like many of us "oldies" :wink: (to quote from the same MM contributor as I mentioned previously)

Actually, he might like to join us. Now there's an idea :D
eastona
Minor Fan

Post by eastona »

Just seen this, count us in, how do we sign up?

:D

Andrew