2008 LEO (Lands End to Orkney) Run

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

No problem :D Can I put you down as a definite or just a possible :-? If a definite, welcome aboard. How many of you will there be.
alex_holden
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alex_holden »

wibble_puppy wrote:Youth hostels are, despite the current state of the YHA :roll: , my preferred accommodation, purely from a cost point of view (normally I like them from a social point of view too, but on an organised Club rally I'm thinking I won't want additional social burnishing :D ) The bunks are like rocks but I stack mattresses and duvets like the princess and the pea 8)
If I do the 2008 LEO (and I probably will but it's still too early to commit definitely), I'll be staying in YHs again, so we should make sure we coordinate to book the same ones. I left it very late last year and quite a few of them were full, hence the night I wound up staying in Underbank Camping Barn. There is a YH in Kirkwall but I might camp in Kevin's field again.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

yeah, book early, arrive early is a good rule of thumb. :D

although if you book late you can find out which ones aren't crammed to the rafters, which is a cunning plan if you need to build yourself a towering pile of mattresses and duvets.... 8)
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

alex_holden wrote:....., I'll be staying in YHs again, so we should make sure we coordinate to book the same ones. I left it very late last year and quite a few of them were full,.................
wibble_puppy wrote:yeah, book early, arrive early is a good rule of thumb. :D
Good advice here
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

are they a bit basic :D :D
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

they vary enormously, the YHA is currently set on a drive to upgrade them all and turn them into cushy bed-and-breakfast accommodation with en-suite showers for every room :evil: The best ones are still basic, yeah 8)
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

A couple of the things I like about YHs as well as the low cost are that they have shared kitchens so you can cook your own food, and they have common rooms with sofas and things where you can relax with a book in the evening and the other residents are generally happy to talk to you about their travels. It's a cosier, friendlier atmosphere than you get in a hotel. As wibble_puppy says, they do vary a great deal but I don't think I've ever been to one that didn't have a kitchen and a common room.
ImageImage
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

so no waiters , or a bar, or games room then :( :(
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

St Just YH was good, the walk to the pub in St Just is about a mile across fields which is entertaining when returning on a dark night with several pints of cornish beer in you.....
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

and now we have to walk a distance to the bar, oh boy :( :( any proper hotels on route :D :D
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

aupickup wrote:and now we have to walk a distance to the bar, oh boy :( :( any proper hotels on route :D :D
There's always a ditch if you have a bivvy bag!! :D :D
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

alex_holden wrote: the other residents are generally happy to talk to you about their travels. It's a cosier, friendlier atmosphere than you get in a hotel
Definitely. And they almost almost always are v nice, interesting people. :D
alex_holden wrote:I don't think I've ever been to one that didn't have a kitchen
There's at least one new-build one with no self-catering facilities :evil: Don't get me started :evil:

aupickup, almost all YHs now have a licence, so they sell booze (and you aren't allowed to bring, and drink, your own... :roll: ). Many have games rooms. And *NEWSFLASH* Judge has volunteered to be your personal waiter 8)
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

wibble_puppy wrote:Many have games rooms. And *NEWSFLASH* Judge has volunteered to be your personal waiter 8)
Yeh right :roll:

Time for an update I think.

Definites
Judge & Mrs Judge
Bobbins & Onne
RogerRust
Neil & Stephanie
Matt

Possibles
Alex
Lee & Family
Eastona
Wibble_Puppy
Aupickup
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Well i'm a definite as the official welcoming party :-) And will be in scabby this year - even though it was stated in Minor Matters that i wasnt this year - gimme a break i didnt trust it to get me to the local post office
:D
I'll get over to JOG next time and join you all on the ferry coming back. I'm even going to put scabby in the show too now i trust it to get there and back :-) Sides if Ray is lost in Russia it needs one honest working motor in the line up :-)

Goes without saying but if anyone wants to camp here your more than welcome for as long as you like if your staying on for however long to see the sights.
There'll be somewhere proper and next to the house this year so no range rover safaris required to pitch tent.
Garage all finished now - adjacent car ports will be in a month or two so dry parking for the first 3 to claim a spot
8)
Also if i can help if you need to find accomodation or anything really just let me know.

One thought - be nice if we could arrange a social evening in Orkney if its possible to tie in with everyones plans.

Oh and don't worry Bill I'll keep you progressively posted as and when the tourist attractions are upgraded to zimmer friendly :lol: :lol: :lol:
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Orkney wrote:One thought - be nice if we could arrange a social evening in Orkney if its possible to tie in with everyones plans.
A Ceilidh perhaps? :D
ImageImage
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Orkney wrote:Oh and don't worry Bill I'll keep you progressively posted as and when the tourist attractions are upgraded to zimmer friendly :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not worrying, but all this talk of age and senility etc makes me think that you are Grandma :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Sorry Bill - having just spent 12 days with the parents have a 'is that person going senile complex' :lol: :lol: :lol:
A Ceilidh perhaps?
well might be difficult what with the agricultural shows ending the day before - suspect most of the bands will be in 1 week hangover mode - could certainly try to arrange something though with enough notice.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Orkney wrote:..... - could certainly try to arrange something though with enough notice.
A bit like organising the LEO Run itself really :roll: :wink:
Cam

Post by Cam »

Hi Bill,

Two weeks seems a long time, but myself and Gill would like to come and join in!! Can you put us down for 'Possibles' at this stage. :D
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Cam! Long time no see! You must have ben busy. Glad to see you are still on the message board!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage