Hello from Down Under

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Knitty
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Knitty »

Thanks Kevin :) Have to admit I am totally clueless when it comes to mechanics so am picking up a lot of good tips on here. Who knows, perhaps I will understand what I'm actually doing eventually!
"The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades, the only other time would be during a game of fake heart attack followed by naps."
sii803
Minor Fan

Post by sii803 »

I'm out there too. In adelaide as well :wink:
Knitty
Minor Friendly

Post by Knitty »

Knitty wrote:Thanks Kevin :) Have to admit I am totally clueless when it comes to mechanics so am picking up a lot of good tips on here. Who knows, perhaps I will understand what I'm actually doing eventually!
Wow!! love that colour Kevin...any more pics?? Where abouts in Adelaide are you?
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

NICE!!!! :D

sii803
Minor Fan

Post by sii803 »

Knitty,
I reccon I saw you yesterday driving along chandlers hill road. I'm guessing it was you as I dont supppose there are many MM's in your colour about these days. I'm in Blackwood. Where abouts are you?

I recon it would be a slow journey back up the hill in the MM?

Cheers,
Matt
Knitty
Minor Friendly

Post by Knitty »

sii803 wrote:Knitty,
I reccon I saw you yesterday driving along chandlers hill road. I'm guessing it was you as I dont supppose there are many MM's in your colour about these days. I'm in Blackwood. Where abouts are you?

I recon it would be a slow journey back up the hill in the MM?

Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt,

Guess that probably was me!! I live at Happy Valley and use Chandlers Hill road everymorning ....then down Happy Valley Drive.
My minor is off the road until after next Tuesday to have some work done...but my other car is a green Morris Minor....honk your horn if you see me!!!
"The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades, the only other time would be during a game of fake heart attack followed by naps."
sii803
Minor Fan

Post by sii803 »

Small world isn't it. I haven't any other picture on the website other than the one above. I'll keep an eye out for you.

I should try to sort out some more pictures soon.

Are you a member of the local club?

Cheers,
Matt
Knitty
Minor Friendly

Post by Knitty »

Not a member of the club as yet. I did phone to get some information sent out to me, but as yet have not seen anything.
As to your previous question about getting up the hill... it can be a little slow!! You should know all about that living where you do too!!
sii803
Minor Fan

Post by sii803 »

Yeh, can be a bit slow. I do my best to avoid the steep hills during the rush. I can only manage second up some parts of old belair road. I reccon I can pull third all the way up the new road though.

I am a member of the MMOC but not as of yet the local club the magazine is a good read. They are difficult to find out much about. A guy I used to work with belonged and I met another through selling things on ebay, but I thought I would be the youngest guy (at 32) so was a bit put off. I am a member of the mini club as my brother in law is the chairman. It is well worth while so I get my historic rego. We should propably join, I am sure they would love to have two MM's for there 60th birthday celebrations.

Cheers,
Matt
Knitty
Minor Friendly

Post by Knitty »

sii803 wrote:Yeh, can be a bit slow. I do my best to avoid the steep hills during the rush. I can only manage second up some parts of old belair road. I reccon I can pull third all the way up the new road though.
I can manage to get up Flagstaff Hill road in third gear as long as I get a good speed going before I hit the slope!
sii803 wrote:We should propably join, I am sure they would love to have two MM's for there 60th birthday celebrations.
Well who woudn't love that????
sii803
Minor Fan

Post by sii803 »

In that case i recon I must have lost a few horses. Well it gives me something to look for :wink:
Knitty
Minor Friendly

Post by Knitty »

Or perhaps I am just thrashing mine :o
tonton533

Re: Hello from Down Under

Post by tonton533 »

Hi Everyone
I too from Down Under & have just bought a low light 1950.
Eng No: 60081
Chasis No: SMM58861
I have the cheese grater grill but it is one piece and painted.
My question is, was there a time when the MM Lowlight had a one piece grill and if so what colour was it painted.
I am extremely confused from all my reading. Even bought Ray Newell's original Morris Minor but still can't get a definite answer.
I wish to do some work on the grill then paint it but not sure of colours
Please help.
Cheers Tony[frame]Image[/frame]
tonton533

Post by tonton533 »

Trying to add front photo
Tony
tonton533

Post by tonton533 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Fine cars and lovely to see them in vibrant hues of blue and green, they really suit them, I don't think I've seen those colours over here.
Also good to hear they're being used regularly, regular use / maintenance keeps them fit and healthy, better than being left unused in a garage for weeks on end.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi Tony
Have you determined whether your car is UK-built or Oz-built yet?

Ray's book explains the grill colours for UK cars.

I'll have a look to see if I can find info on the Oz-built colour schemes.

Don
ferret76
Minor Fan
Location: MMOC Tropical Research Division Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia

Post by ferret76 »

G"Day Knitty,

I'm just up the road in Darwin. I'll meet you at the Todd Tavern in Alice Springs for a cold one.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Oz cars will have a Zetland plate, a number stamped alongside and no body number ID plates.

If it has a "BM" prefixed plate on the NSF firewall, it's a Cowley Build - poss "EX" or "A" prefixed alloy tags affixed to the screws that attach the chassis plate.

Hope this helps.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!