Ideas & Suggestions for the future of the MMOC

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rasputin
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Rasputin »

There already is a section in the club magazine devoted just to the younger generation,"Mugs Matters".What more do you want. :wink: :D
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

Apart from the last posting :wink: :lol: I must admit that I am feeling more heartened than I have for a long time, all thanks to the positive comments made here. Long may they continue :D
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

RE Louise's comments -
How about this for a suggestion - for starters anyway ....
A page per issue of MM just for news and whats going on here on the board/site?

E.G. great thread to follow on a chap in Sweden restoring a shell of rust with mig wire ..
Free Moggies for the taking....
varous trouble shooting things solved..
etc etc

Bet you theres a fair lot of Silver Surfers out there who are members who never log on and are in fact missing out by not being able to discuss various aspects of ownership.

Would perhaps be a starting point to raise awareness of the importance of it all and hopefully change the perspective to the powers that be of the future role us 'Web Lot' have to play in the clubs underlying principle.

I must admit that I am feeling more heartened than I have for a long time, all thanks to the positive comments made here
Dont let them grind you down - if they dont change they wont survive ....
E.G. more creative (without being objctionable) suggstions aired right here on this thread than could ever be done in a 6 month of exchangng letters with the powers that be ...
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Only trouble with that Ork is that it takes at least 6 weeks for MM to some out- all the cars are usually sold/givenaway by then

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
rob.hardy1
Minor Fan

Post by rob.hardy1 »

As a relativley new member i must say i am somewhat gobsmacked at this thread. I didnt realise that there was a divide between the 'old guard' and the 'website lot'.
The divide between youngsters and older people is with is in every walk of life.
I for one am 51yr old youngster and i am quite happy that i know practically bog all about clasic car ownership and i am on a steep learning curve and the truth is, if i was 18 i would probably be more inclined to dive under the car more often ( old bones you know.).
Looking back is often usefull but more often destructive and i feel the best way foreward to try and make the club inclusive for all ages.
I have percieved, maybe incorrectly, that the website IS the club and the Minor Matters as an interesting divertion. How do people that dont access the web get to know whats happening? I agree that the some local clubs are somewhat sedate and therefore it MUST be down to the website members to push the club foreward. I hope there will be an oppertunity at the national event in June discuss this further and hopeflly come up with a way foreward.
Going back to my previous posting, i really do think that inviting EVERY local group to have an input to the website would be a good bridge between traditional groups and the 'weblot'.
Sorry for the disjointed rant but not so good at the structured way of writing as louisem, whose comments i commend very highly.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The website is a great place for everyone to ask questions and seek advice on various projects. Like you Rob (same age) I do think that its important for all ages to mingle and this board does just that. I am a very active Committee Member, and I assure you that there isn't a rift between the 'old guarde' and the 'website lot' were the same people!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
mal
Minor Addict

Ideas & Suggestions for the future of the MMOC

Post by mal »

Well said Rob..........
Reading through this post astounds me as to why 'AGE' seems to come into just about every section.
I've only a few years to go to get my buspass but still feel like a young boy ( even though I can't catch them anymore ) :wink: :lol:
I'm sick of being told by my wife, daughter and doctors to slow down as I'm not 25 anymore... but what do they know :roll:
I'm in several multi-marque clubs and they are full of Moggys and age is never mentioned or discussed, everyone gets on great...... in over 4 years of Moggy ownership I've never been to my local branch, as quite a lot of similar owners in this area don't bother, I won't go into detail on here as to the reason why, only to say Tooo clicky.....
I just enjoy the car and get out and drive it as often as I can and as most of you know I'm at shows every weekend... mixing with everyone :lol:

Mal[/quote]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Well said Mal!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

rob.hardy1 wrote:I for one am 51yr old youngster and i am quite happy that i know practically bog all about clasic car ownership and i am on a steep learning curve and the truth is, if i was 18 i would probably be more inclined to dive under the car more often ( old bones you know.).
I'm a 59 (60 next month :evil: ) youngster, and still enjoy diving under cars :wink:
rob.hardy1 wrote: Looking back is often usefull but more often destructive and i feel the best way foreward to try and make the club inclusive for all ages.
I could not agree more.
rob.hardy1 wrote: I have percieved, maybe incorrectly, that the website IS the club and the Minor Matters as an interesting divertion. How do people that dont access the web get to know whats happening? I agree that the some local clubs are somewhat sedate and therefore it MUST be down to the website members to push the club foreward. I hope there will be an oppertunity at the national event in June discuss this further and hopeflly come up with a way foreward.
Going back to my previous posting, i really do think that inviting EVERY local group to have an input to the website would be a good bridge between traditional groups and the 'weblot'.
Sorry for the disjointed rant but not so good at the structured way of writing as louisem, whose comments i commend very highly.
In no way do I see this as a disjointed rant Rob. Indeed my belief is that the more the input from people like yourself, the better chance there is of ensuring that our club has a future.
Judge
Minor Legend

Re: Ideas & Suggestions for the future of the MMOC

Post by Judge »

mal wrote:Well said Rob..........
Reading through this post astounds me as to why 'AGE' seems to come into just about every section.
I've only a few years to go to get my buspass but still feel like a young boy ( even though I can't catch them anymore ) :wink: :lol:
I'm sick of being told by my wife, daughter and doctors to slow down as I'm not 25 anymore... but what do they know :roll:
I'm in several multi-marque clubs and they are full of Moggys and age is never mentioned or discussed, everyone gets on great...... in over 4 years of Moggy ownership I've never been to my local branch, as quite a lot of similar owners in this area don't bother, I won't go into detail on here as to the reason why, only to say Tooo clicky.....
I just enjoy the car and get out and drive it as often as I can and as most of you know I'm at shows every weekend... mixing with everyone :lol:
Very well said Mal. Buster is 101 and taking part in this years London Marathon.

PS Unfortunately 'Too Clicky' is something I hear on a regular basis :(
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

regaliaqueen wrote:I am a very active Committee Member,
I was a very active Committee Member too :wink:
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

I don't think 'age 'is an issue, but 'attitude' certainly is.
It would appear from the few posts on this topic that the branches are not
quite all they could be.
As a first port of call for potential new members this is not good news. Still a branch will only be as interesting as its members which is why I and many others see this message board as their local.
I would encourage more of the 4000 plus visitors to this message board to take a more active part.

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

regaliaqueen wrote:The website is a great place for everyone to ask questions and seek advice on various projects. Like you Rob (same age) I do think that its important for all ages to mingle and this board does just that. I am a very active Committee Member, and I assure you that there isn't a rift between the 'old guarde' and the 'website lot' were the same people!
In general I agree Lou, but if there isn't a rift, why the diferention :wink:
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

jonathon wrote:I don't think 'age 'is an issue, but 'attitude' certainly is.
The words 'nail' and 'head' come to mind Jonathon.
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

What a refreshing thread! Thanks Judge for starting it.

MM has a new Editor so now is the time to get website page in each edition but ,if you don't go to branch meetings, how do you get the message across?

The National would seem to be the right time for the website to have a high profile, are we having a stand on Branch Avenue? One activity may be having a PC so that use of the site can be demonstrated to one and all. I'm hoping to make the National and would be prepared to help on the stand, my hair colour may attract some of those silver s........!!

I believe the Club gives grants to Branches based on numbers of members attending; perhaps now would be the time to provide a small sum of money to the website to fund the stand at the National
overider
Minor Fan

Post by overider »

How about the Minor Matters or Minor Monthly does a spread on girls that own Minors,
Then a section to find out the youngest owner. This can be done by proud entrants sending in photos of themselves with their minors and a few of the photos each week can be printed in the mag. This way if younger people actually see the mag it might just sway them to dip there toe in the water. :lol:
HAVE IT! LOVE IT! DRIVE IT!
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I just want to say I'm a member of two branches (Northamptonshire and Rugby) and I'm 16 so not even old enough to drive, but when I go to the meetings with my parents I feel welcomed every time. Nobody in these clubs is ageist, they are always willing to help, i've often been given spare parts from people and they even invited me to go and help with the club car restoration a few weeks ago.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

jon1739
Minor Friendly

Post by jon1739 »

As many of you are probably aware, Minor Monthly encourages all types of Minors and Minor owners, young and not so young :lol: This is surely the way that the club should go, i have always felt that the modified/custom Minors are frowned upon by those at the top of the club and this attitude I am sure is picked up by many people. Hopefully that is now starting to change as people realise that more and more owners are modifying their Minors. I have also found a complete contrast between club and branch, with the latter far more approachable and willing to change and help.
I have tried in vain to link my magazine and the club more closely for the benefit of both of us, but sadly its like banging your head against a brick wall, as I am sure a few who post on here will know.
The club really must move with the times if it is to survive and this includes acknowledging the importance of this forum and the people who use it.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

hear hear joni

change or the club becomes an extinct prehistoric dinasaur :D :D
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

jon1739 wrote: I have tried in vain to link my magazine and the club more closely for the benefit of both of us, but sadly its like banging your head against a brick wall, as I am sure a few who post on here will know.
The club really must move with the times if it is to survive and this includes acknowledging the importance of this forum and the people who use it.
I have also tried in vain Jon, and unfortunately must agree with you :(