Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Fuel pipe problem

Post by ndevans »

I'm probably not the first to have this problem, so hopefully someone here will have the answer.

I am replacing the fuel pipe betwwn tank and pump, and thought it would be a good idea to get the tank out to swill it out. Apart from that it makes getting the pipe union out of the tank easier.

The problem is that the union is so tight that first the flats rounded off after a lot of persuasion with various spanners & a mole wrench, then after trying to chisel if off the hexagonal flats broke off. See attached photos.

So how do I get the remains out of the tank? And before anyone suggests it, no, heat would not be a good idea. The tank is empty by the way.

cheers,
Neil.

Last edited by ndevans on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

cut the old pipe and new one and put a flexible petrol grade pipe to link up there was a long discussion recently re this topic do a search and you should find it.One thing for certain if you keep pulling at the union you will eventully tear the tank and will be forking out for a new tank as well.Iv'e had three minors over the years each one had the same set up.Personally if I needed to change the pipe,I would do this if the nut wouldn't move at the first couple of attempts.Its too late for you now but if you had cut the old pipe you may have managed to get a ring spanner onto the nut,you might still be able to but watch out for damage to the tank good luck
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Neil,

if the fuel pipe has been cut short, then either a second hand tank or else the union will need drilling to remove the remainder of the steel fuel pipe then a good quality stud extractor may shift it (soak with Plus gas first for a few hours) However as the tank is empty it is a potential bomb so I would fill it completely with water first.

A tip for those who have not gone so far, use flare spanners for pipe unions such as these or brake lines. :- http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... 1&ie=UTF-8

Alec
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

OK, progress update.

I have cut the remains of the pipe off as flush as I can get it to the union. Then I tried using a stud extractor (similar to a LH tap for cutting threads). The problem is that it doesn't get a proper purchase on the union because the pipe is in the way and just rotates. I can't push the remains of the pipe through into the tank-something is stopping it.

Tried drilling as well to no avail. Also tried drilling between the side of the union and the boss it screws into, again no help and I think I will end up damaging the boss if I go much further down that route.

So any more ideas anyone? Please....??? :o :o
cheers N

Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Neil,

I think that you could spend a lot of time and still fail so a second hand tank would be my suggestion.

Unless you can get a good grip with stud extractors, which means the pipe stub has to be removed (and if it is loose then the drill will not work, as you have found out) then you have little chance of removing it.

Alec
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I'd try using needle files to put four notches in it so you can use a really big Philips screwdriver on it. If it's completely seized solid you're probably out of luck unless you want to try completely filling the tank with water then welding a nut onto the union (assuming it's made of steel).
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

UPDATED 26/4!!! SUCCESS!!! :-) :-))

After 20 min banging away with a hammer and chisel this afternoon (sorry nextdoor & anyone else within 200m trying to listen to Man U-Chelsea), it finally shifted!! Yeee--HAAAAA!!!

I now have two fuel tanks, having just successfully bid for one on ebay.

I suppose I could take the spare with me to Orkney-maybe I will retain the prize for "Most Unusual Spare Part Carried", after carrying a spare exhaust pipe with me from Somerset on last years run!!

Am a happy man now.
cheers N