Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MinorMoments
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Opinions please

Post by MinorMoments »

Still looking for that elusive Moggy Minor and have found this today on Autotrader. It's the Silver car at the dealer Dalton & Blaber priced at 2K

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... ns=&page=2

I know it is not the Tourer that I wanted but finding a Tourer appears to be very difficult so I thought I might also look at salooons to get me into Moggy ownership and then in future find the Tourer.

What do you guys think of this car, I wondered about the price. Maybe because if seems cheap to me but then I have based my values on Tourers which obviously command more money.

I asked the guy these questions :-
Hi,

Can you please tell me some more regarding the Minor you have advertised in Autotrader, assuming it is still for sale.

Has it ever been restored and if so when and by whom? Does it still have the original 1098cc engine and are you aware of any problems with the engine or gearbox. What upgrades and modifications has the car had done, I can see it has seat belts in the rear but the pictures does not show whether they are in the front as well, presumably they are. Has the engine had an unleaded head put on it or servo brakes?

And generally I appreciate this car is now 40 years old but how is the bodywork and structure of the car. I do not want to waste my time and yours coming to view a car which does not match my requirements so I hope you do not mind me asking these questions.

and he replied:-

hello, yes the car has been restored to a good standard for which i have documentation. it also had a reconditioned engine that has now done about 30,000 miles also unleaded., it has the original front seat belts. the brakes have recentely been serviced, but are not with a servo.i dont think there are any upgrades to the car, as you will see in the photo, it is painted silver, but was originaly grey,to give you some confidence the car would come with a new mot., i have a lot of history with the car, that goes back to the first service, if you would like to call me i will give you as much information as i can, i understand you may be a distance away but feel you would not be disapointed with the condtion of the car, my name is Garry & look forward to your call.

Not sure if this has made me a bit uneasy about the car as he did not directly answer my question of when and who did the restoration etc. Also did Moggy's have front seat belts when they were built at the end of production, I did not think they did.

As ever guys, rip this to shreds for me with your opinions...

Thanks
MM :-?
mrbenn
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by mrbenn »

Looks like a really nice car. Of course, looks can be deceiving so I would go and see it. If it has as much history as it sounds, that would be fantastic. I wish I knew a little more about my car!

Re the dealer not being specific about who did the resto, maybe an oversight? He/she says they have the docs to support it so that will have all the info on there.

I've never seen a silver Moggy, should have been an option though 8)
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I think that year would have been fitted with front 3-point static seat belts from new. It isn't difficult or expensive to upgrade them to modern inertia-reel belts.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

Post '65 that seatbelts were required I think so yes it should have been.

Also, with it being from a dealer, you should have more comeback in the event of any problems.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Right, seat belts were fitted from 1965 onwards as a legal requirement and many before.
Obviously Silver is a non standard colour and the car does appear to be clean and tidy and the price seems reasonable from a trader (the price might be flexible) and a full history is a good sign.
You can always ask for more details on the restoration which may have been done by an enthusiast rather than a garage restoration, and they should also be able to put it up on a ramp for you to check that the underside is good and that any underside repair work that has been done is of a good standard.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MinorMoments
Minor Friendly

Post by MinorMoments »

Many thanks gents for this info.

What valuation would you put on the car. Is 2K lots more than it is worth?

Cheers
MM
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Is 2K lots more than it is worth?
Not for a really good car with lots of history and no work needed, recent service, MOT and possibly a bit of warantee.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

And a good genuine history is something you can't buy, its either there or it isn't!

Agree though, do haggle a bit, it would be rude not to :wink:
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Just go and look at it - it's not far from you, and you should get to drive it to see if you like it.
As always, take cash and haggle.
Seems to be plenty Minors not far from you - spoiled for choice (compared to up here).
It's always an idea to look at quite a few though, and don't jump in unless it is exactly what you want. If you can, take someone knowledgeable with you.
As you are looking to move it on in the future, buy carefully with this in mind.

Good luck.
Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
MinorMoments
Minor Friendly

Post by MinorMoments »

Thanks guys for your comments. managed to scrounge a half day at work and popped off to see the car. £1750 later, she's mine. I am told the towbar never towed anything... and they have given me a month or 1000 miles warranty for what they are worth, lol! He is going to give me a 12 month MOT and get the free RFL disc for me if I give him the insurance - saves me having to do it. Change the oil and filter - his choice, plus deliver it to me an hours drive from him. The OSF door needs some attention and there are a few minor (Excuse the pun) blemishes but this is an old car after all. The history folder was something else, some of the bills were so old I felt lilek I should have had cotton gloves on to protect the paper.All in all I am happy with this.

Not the car I really wanted but I feel a good usable classic Moggy to get me started. I think it may have belonged to a MMOC member as it has a sticker on the front windscreen. All I have to do now is start a thread on how to drive and look after it...
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

Congratulations 8) 8) 8)

Looks like a really nice car, and well done for haggling :D

Hope you spend many happy miles behind the wheel :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It does look neat and tidy - good luck with it. I would remove the dangerous headlamp 'eyelids' - but it's your car!
ImageImage
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

bmcecosse wrote:It does look neat and tidy - good luck with it. I would remove the dangerous headlamp 'eyelids' - but it's your car!
Sorry to butt in, what aspect of them do you think is dangerous? Genuine question, not being funny or owt :)
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

I'm guessing their 'kidney cutter' reputation. Could happen, I guess, but usually they're about as strong as tin foil. Personally, I'd say take them off, they look daft, but each to their own :D
a
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well done :D and you can always take it over to Chertsey Minors to give it a once over especially if its got a one month warranty just for peace of mind.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The eyelids are often dangerously sharp - could be pulled by the Cops for 'sharp edges'. Imagine the damage if you hit someone - even at low speed. And -I too think they look daft! They certainly don't serve any useful purpose.
ImageImage
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

I have heard that there are some out there that are sharp. The ones on my car at least have been folded over at the front so are quite blunt.
superchargedfool
Minor Fan

Post by superchargedfool »

headlight eyebrows like these should technically fail the mot on sharp edges and yes they are dangerous.

It is always a good idea when having bought a car with a warranty to get it checked out by your local trusted man before the warranty expires so as to get any faults cured under warranty.

well done on properly joining the fold.

happy motoring.
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x17/superchargedfool/DSCF0024-1.jpg[/img]

cool cars don't die they just get cooler as they get older!
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

Fair do's, food for thought to be sure.

Back on topic, been for any trips in the new Mog yet? Got any pics?
MinorMoments
Minor Friendly

Post by MinorMoments »

No pics yet, should have her by middle of next week and then I have to sort a few jobs on her first before a spit and polish and pics.