Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MinorMoments
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Get me started please

Post by MinorMoments »

Due to get my hands on my first Minor next week as per my thread in General Discussions...

Now I need some help and tips. Are there any knacks in driving a 1098cc engine and the driving of the car in general. I now there is a main beam on the floor, do you need to have headlights/sidelights on first for it to work, or doe sit also work as a flasher too?

Also what everyday, week or month maintenance do I need to do. Basically I need the lowdown on ownership.

Can you tell I am green on all things moggy related.

I need help!

Thanks
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

The foot operated switch will only change headlights from dip to main and back again with the headlights on. Headlights off, then it does nothing. Check oil and water regularly.
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

No you cannot use the switch on the floor as a flasher. Also remember if you have the headlights on then put highbeam on and turn the lights off, they will still be on high beam when you turn them back on again! The tell-tale is a little dull on the speedo so make sure u dnt blind everyone :lol:

Driving whise, dont thrash the engine and with regular maintanance it will live forever!

If your still on the original thin tyres (the most fun :P) you may find that on wet roads the handling is a little.......different to a modern car. Can get a bit slidey if you take things to fast!

Maintanance wise you really need to get a manual or something as there are allot of things to cover from adjusting breaks to keeping an eye on rust.

hope this helps! and ask away if me/we have not covered things you want :D
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Just moving this to General as this section is for useful tips to be posted.
P.S. it will be a good idea to pop along to Chertsey Branch as they are a really nice lot and should be able to give you some hands on advice :D
They meet at
The RAOB Social Club, 136 Church Road, Addlestone, Surrey.
2nd Monday, at 8.00 p.m
and a couple of their members do post on here from time to time, where are you Lou you have been a bit quiet lately.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

remember you have to be stopped dead to put the car in first - no syincromesh in first. Really fun driving for little price. Just keep greasing everything and checking oil and water and youll be fine.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Seconded on the synchromesh. If the car is moving forward at all just use 2nd, don't crunch it into 1st.
After a while you will find out how much choke (if any)your car needs to start depending on the temperature.
The choke isn't an on-off switch it works over the whole range.
Shouldn't need any for the 2nd start of the day unless its really cold.

These are cars with character and little quirks which you will grow to love or learn how to fix in the fullness of time.

They were designed before the days of motorways and cannot really cope with prolonged bouts of 70mph much happier at 55-60mph.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

MarkyB wrote: They were designed before the days of motorways and cannot really cope with prolonged bouts of 70mph much happier at 55-60mph.
A good condition 1098 will... Though I prefer to cruise at about 60 unless I'm in a hurry because it's more comfortable and you get better fuel economy.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
MinorMoments
Minor Friendly

Post by MinorMoments »

alex_holden wrote:
MarkyB wrote: They were designed before the days of motorways and cannot really cope with prolonged bouts of 70mph much happier at 55-60mph.
A good condition 1098 will... Though I prefer to cruise at about 60 unless I'm in a hurry because it's more comfortable and you get better fuel economy.
I am not a speed freak so 60 will suit me fine.
AndrewSkinner wrote:If your still on the original thin tyres (the most fun :P) you may find that on wet roads the handling is a little.......different to a modern car. Can get a bit slidey if you take things to fast!
My car is fitted with radials currently.
Kevin wrote:Just moving this to General as this section is for useful tips to be posted.
P.S. it will be a good idea to pop along to Chertsey Branch as they are a really nice lot and should be able to give you some hands on advice :D
They meet at
The RAOB Social Club, 136 Church Road, Addlestone, Surrey.
2nd Monday, at 8.00 p.m
and a couple of their members do post on here from time to time, where are you Lou you have been a bit quiet lately.
Opps, sorry!.

Yes will pop over to a Chertsey meet sometime when I can sort babysitter. So will not be a regualr there, shame really.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

drive to the limitations of the car.go back to the 60s take your time and anticipate the road ahead.the club does a good tec manual.or go and get a haynes one to give you a serviceing programe.there are firms that deal with just morrises,charles ware,minor mainia,jlh and others,just look in the club mag to get details.
[sig]5641[/sig]
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

Something you might find useful :D

An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Grease all the grease points reguarly (follow that chart!), make sure you dont run it on choke for longer than necessary (you get excess petrol in the oil then, not good), and remember that you have rubbish brakes!!!
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!