Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

roundabouts

Post by les »

The latest highway code seems to skirt round this one as far as I can make out----- Take a roundabout with five roads exiting. what lane should you be in for A--1st exit(pretty obvious l/h lane) B--2nd exit (again l/h lane) C--3rd exit( which also as it happens straight on) D and E ( pretty obvious r/h lane). In other words what lane for C?
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dean »

It's usually written on the road on the approach, or better still on a green traffic sign. Some islands now use that spiral approach, which does confuse some drivers.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

If you live in Weston-Super-Mare, the answer's 'the wrong lane'
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

We don't have roundabouts here - they are called circles :lol:

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
benmagoo
Minor Friendly

Post by benmagoo »

I understood LH lane is for all exits up to 12 o'clock, the RH lane after that - unless marked otherwise.

Although if you live in Peterborough it seems that the LH lane does all exits and you only use the RH lane for overtaking wildly round the outside - and during rush hour you use the lane with the shortest queue regardless of who you chop up :)
[sig]8373[/sig]
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

There is a useful aid available on most cars to ensure safety at roundabouts. Most hatchbacks constructed after 1995 do not appear to have it fitted. Its called the indicator switch.

Recently I saw a lorry at a mini roundabout indicate left and pull out slightly to the right to improve the angle.

Johnny Smartboy in the said hatchback saw his chance and charged up the inside only to be pushed onto the pavement by the irresistible force. He, like me, was behind the lorry and could have seen him indicate but presumably his stereo was so loud that he couldn't see straight.

He might have gained 5 seconds, but in fact he was lucky that it was only his car that was written off.

By the way does any one know what happens when the irresistible force meets the immovable object? My brother wrote a philosophy essay on it in the 70's.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

hummm the highway code says use the most appropriate lane, that's not definitive if you have no signs to guide you.

Generally as quoted above I believe in left lane up to straight on the right lane for anything further round. But also follow the rule that it is your responsibility to cross a lane of traffic so you should take care doing so i.e. moving from right lane outwards I guess that's why they have marked many roundabouts with spirals to prevent this, Also that you should not undertake so do not outpace the traffic in the right lane when on the roundabout unless it is stationary, but even then do it with care as someone may pull out of that queue for an eairlier exit.
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

RogerRust wrote:There is a useful aid available on most cars to ensure safety at roundabouts. Most hatchbacks constructed after 1995 do not appear to have it fitted. Its called the indicator switch.

Recently I saw a lorry at a mini roundabout indicate left and pull out slightly to the right to improve the angle.

Johnny Smartboy in the said hatchback saw his chance and charged up the inside only to be pushed onto the pavement by the irresistible force. He, like me, was behind the lorry and could have seen him indicate but presumably his stereo was so loud that he couldn't see straight.

He might have gained 5 seconds, but in fact he was lucky that it was only his car that was written off.
My bus home from Bedford was delayed an hour then diverted because of that 'incident'!

Unless there has been more than one! :roll:

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually
Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

I wish some drivers would realise that a roundabout is effectively a 'blind corner'...

I often enter a roundabout after very careful checking [knowing 918cc doesn't result in a quick getaway] to find some fool just missing joining me in the driver's seat.

Of course I get glared at!

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

By the way does any one know what happens when the irresistible force meets the immovable object? My brother wrote a philosophy essay on it in the 70's.
Well as they are both theories and neither actually exist :wink: I would hate to be in on the opposite side in an argument with your brother Roger.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

I remember that he told me that everything happened - sounds right to me!

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I thought time stopped everything happening at once.