Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pm
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

EVERYDAY USE

Post by pm »

hi all

just wanted to get an idea how much everybody uses their minor .

i have a 4 door in the garage that needs some work to get roadworthy but i am thinking of replacing my wifes new beetle with a traveller to use everyday to work and general use .

Seems like a great idea , room for the dog and golf clubs , reliable , good fuel economy , cheap insurance and free tax !

Will have about £2500 to spend so should be able to get something nice hopefully .

What do you think ?

phill
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s244/PIP0999/DSC00113.jpg[/img]
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Re: EVERYDAY USE

Post by alex_holden »

pm wrote:just wanted to get an idea how much everybody uses their minor .
In the past year, about 12500 miles in the Traveller and 3500 in the Saloon.
i have a 4 door in the garage that needs some work to get roadworthy but i am thinking of replacing my wifes new beetle with a traveller to use everyday to work and general use .
Seems like a great idea , room for the dog and golf clubs , reliable , good fuel economy , cheap insurance and free tax !
I agree! :)
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

The minor will easily make a useable everyday car, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who use them daily.
The car doesn't have to be modified to make it a suitable daily runner, it can easily be used as standard, however, i'd suggest a better security system be fitted (eg. a fuel pump switch).

As soon as I can pass my test I'm planning to use my minor as my daily car because of all of the reaons you've stated above and of course the fact that a minor is different and it's nice to be driving around in something other than a saxo or a corsa!
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Biggest problem will be keeping the rust at bay if it's used/gets wet every day - especially if it's out on salted roads. So - when buying - inspect carefully underneath, and when it's yours kill any rust and treat what you can't see with lashings of Waxoyl!
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I've used Minors as a daily driver (currently using a Trabant) and for a while was doing 20k per year in the Minor. My only advice is to make sure you have a spare car available as problems WILL happen. Don't let that dampen your spirits - just bear in mind that repairs can be needed when it's not convenient.

A standard minor is not ideal if you expect to drive down the motorway as if you're in a modern car. It never worried me much when I was younger but these days I prefer something quicker & quieter if I'm on a long journey. A 1300 A series and 5 speed box would fix that pretty well - and noise can be reduced with extra sound deadening.

Classic car insurance is very good value as a 2nd car - If it's the main car any you are commuting it will change the price, but it'll still be good. Also make sure you keep up your previous no claims if/when you're on a classic policy. I forgot for a couple of years and let 6 years no claims slip away :roll:
Last edited by rayofleamington on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
benmagoo
Minor Friendly

Post by benmagoo »

Our 4 door splittie is a daily driver and works well with our other two classic dd's

The only thing to keep in mind is that if you buy a Moggie that has only been used occasionally by the previous owner, you may find some parts wear quite quickly in the first few weeks of daily use - like we did:

In the first 2 months we had to replace the front wheel bearings and all the front bushes, I also managed to neglect the diff and had to temprarily "fix" the bodged wiring. All whilst learning a harsh lesson about people with "big windows"
[sig]8373[/sig]
pm
Minor Friendly

Post by pm »

thanks for your support and advice .
we have a mondeo also so i could use the minor on the nicer days and the mondeo on the not so nice and leave it at home for my wife to take the kids to schooll
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

My wife has sold her Freelander and uses the Moggie as her daily driver. She doesn't go on motorways, so that's not an issue. She does the normal running around the kids, shopping, work, coffee mornings lunch etc without any problems. It's totally standard 950cc and is cheap and reliable....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

I've been using my Traveller as my main car for quite a few years now. It's needed welding every couple of years and the woodwork should be revarnished every year (or two) but it's pretty reliable as long as I don't get lazy with the routine maintenance (and rustproofing :oops: ). Minors do need more maintenance than modern cars though but if you're prepared to do that yourself it's very cheap motoring. I don't often do long trips as I find it tiring after a couple of hours but for a 20 mile commute I really enjoy driving it.
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Apart from a year off for a new rear end, I used my minor every day as a daily driver covering around 60k miles in 5 years. It had it's moments, I gave up on the electric fuel pump and switched to a mechanical one, the ignition's gone electronic (and now I'm on a 1300 ital engine anyhow). Most problems are easy to resolve because you can get most parts quickly, but you do have to spend some time fettling the car every week or two, or the preventative maintainance will mount up and pounce in one big heap of it not starting or running rough...

It's definately very doable though.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

use it i do its great...grandad
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

everyday use

Post by StaffsMoggie »

I use my Minor every day, in all weathers. It is parked outside and is used as my daily car.

Morris Minors are suited to everyday use as long as they havent been messed with. A standard car, properly maintained is 100% reliable.

Minors are not priceless relics. They are not valuable cars. They are however dependable, reliable cars that do not suffer depreciation. For these reasons Minors make more sense as daily cars than any new car, which was boiught on the knock!

Morris Minors are always paid for, unlike most vehicles on the road.
eastona
Minor Fan

Post by eastona »

1969 four door, similar mileage to Alex.

great as a daily driver, agree with the motorway sentiments, I'm after a 1275 and higher ratio diff when I can afford one, although once or twice a month I do 200 mile round trips for work and it's fine, it just takes a little longer.

I'm thinking of getting a trav for Mrs E when the SAAB finally goes to car heaven. Then we'll be a 2 minor family :D

Go on, do it, just don't neglect the maintenance!

Andrew
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

eastona wrote:I'm thinking of getting a trav for Mrs E when the SAAB finally goes to car heaven. Then we'll be a 2 minor family :D
Sounds like an excellent plan to me. :D
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
pm
Minor Friendly

everyday use

Post by pm »

thanks all

As i said i already have one minor in the garage undergoing some work , so i have a good idea of what minor ownership is about but i only tend to use it at weekends .

My daily commute to work is 25 miles each way on dual carriageway .

Cant wait to sell the beetle and get myself a traveller , looking forward to driving something more interesting everday .

thanks again , seems eveyone uses their minors more than i thought !

phill :D
Cam

Re: everyday use

Post by Cam »

pm wrote: My daily commute to work is 25 miles each way on dual carriageway .
Sounds very similar to mine!

I used my '69 4-door (modified) car for the commute to work (20 miles each way on dual carriageway or motorway). I did this from 2001 until about 3 or 4 years ago when I switched to my '63 2-door (absolutely standard) car and that's what I use now.

In addition to travelling to work and back I also use her for club ralles at weekends and club runs (JOGLE, LEO & Roses -4,500 miles). After I fitted a towbar I also use her for moving stuff around as the 1098 engine is quite good at pulling.

So, overall, the standard Minor can clock up some mileage as well as being a very cheap and versitile car! :D
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

my 51 sidevalve is my daily. The good thing is that if something does go wrong you can usually have it back together by the next day.

really back maintenance and preventative maintenance will help a lot Uses next to no petrol, on a long trip it worked out that i was using less petrol than a 900cc bike, however it took half the time on the bike :lol:
morrisman1
Minor Fan

Post by morrisman1 »

mine probably averages about 15 miles per day. just commuting.
Fuel Injected Datsun a15 engine, 5 speed 60 series datsun gearbox
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

Just back from taking my daughter back to Uni - a round trip of 680 miles. 260 miles on Sunday - 420 miles today! Thanks to lots of hard work by me, and invaluable advice from various people on here, it drove beautifully! It also stopped beautifully by the time I got up to Durham, the brakes now having bedded in properly.
And now, to quote Zebedee.... it's time for bed! <yawn>
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
PatLazell
Minor Friendly

Post by PatLazell »

Miss Climpson is my only drive, and I love her!!! unfortunately my husband does not do cars ( I have offered him the pleasure of walking home on numerous occasions!!) so if we go any where it is usually on one of the motor bikes. But I do intend to do more in her, as I work with decorative and stained glass and have to pick up various supplies and drop of pieces which I have done. So my weekly travels so far are probably about 60 miles per week.
[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/patlazell/missC-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/patlazell/lamp.jpg[/img]