Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Zack
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Why so few Minors in the USA?

Post by Zack »

Hello!

I've recently become the proud new owner of a '68 Minor 1000. The car was brought over to the US from Uxbridge in 2002, having only one owner in the UK. Obviously the car is right hand drive, and it gets an unreal amount of attention whenever on the road. It is regarded as quite the curiosity because practically nobody here has ever seen a Morris Minor before. Every time I take it for a drive I'm invariably asked what make the car is, only to receive a blank stare at the standard reply of "It's a 1968 Morris Minor......it's British." The only people who seem to know what it is are servicemen that had been stationed in the UK in the 60's or 70's, sparking much nostalgia.

So, is anyone familiar with the reasoning as to why so few Minors were ever imported to the US? I've only seen a handful of left hand drive cars, and it seems most Minors that are on the road here today were imported from England in the 80's or 90's. Was it due to US safety/emission restrictions, or was it more down to internal politics at BMC?

Anyhow, here are a few photos of the Minor to keep you interested - I really love this little car!
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

I'm not sure that BMC ever officially exported to the states.

wiglaf
Minor Fan

Post by wiglaf »

They did export them... just very inefficently. It was US regulations that put an end to the low-lights. From what I remember of my coffee table book, it was a mixture of internal politics and poor US take-up that kept export and sales levels in the states low...
--
Wiglaf
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

I think the lack of minors in the states can be ascribed to a couple of fairly simple points:

Underpowered. While the original sidevalve engine was just about adequate (and lovely and smooth) for use in the UK, in the US it was woefully inadequate. As the US threw down interstates with reckless abandon, the minor was 'improved' with an 803cc engine. I think anyone in the states would have found that inadequate.

And for the four doors - they didn't ever bother to provide a door lock on the driver's side door. That's really going to help sell a car - having to get in on the passenger side and clamber over...

I love the minor, but BMC made a complete hash of selling it in the states. 's far superior and just as interesting as a beetle, but rather than maximise their market they put the smallest engine they had in, and left the minor to die. It's a testament to the minor's design that it went through two further iterations here before being killed off :-/
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

USA was a big target for the Minor but it peaked during the late 50's and a little in the early 60's. The biggest concentration was around NYC (New England to Mid Atlantic and the west coast. San Francisco had the highest sales. The middle of the country had less exposure to imports of any kind. Sure some of the reason for lower sales was BMC sales approach but the main reason was the 'American Attitude' Big and Powerful were the requirements. Thankfully there were some people that saw some value in our cars. I only met two original owners one was an Irish immigrant and the other was the little old lady whose car,Suzie, I now care for. They were long term owners and really had an affection for their car. Sadly many cars were resold early probably due to disappointment and then typically many later owners. Keep driving you will start getting "I used to have one" and they usually have fond memories. By the end of the sixties the Northeastwas fairly sparse because rust came and got them.
As for the sales effort, we got our first two in 1967 thinking the last imported ones were 61 or 62 with the introduction of the MG1100 yet they really were still available in 1967. Then emmision and then safety regulations closed it up.
Zack
Minor Friendly

Post by Zack »

Pyoor_Kate wrote: And for the four doors - they didn't ever bother to provide a door lock on the driver's side door. That's really going to help sell a car - having to get in on the passenger side and clamber over...
:lol: I didn't know that - can you imagine trying to sell a new car out of the showroom and explaining to the customer how to lock and unlock the car! No wonder the sales were bad.

Are there any official US export numbers available on the web anywhere? I'd be interested to know how many cars were actually brought here in period. Thanks for all the great information guys!
Willie
Minor Legend

USA Minors

Post by Willie »

The majority of the early Minors were exported because,if they were not sold abroad the government could cut off the steel supply to the factory!
Most went to Australia but quite a few went to the states (the headlights
were raised in height due to the American regulations). The arrival of the VW Beetle decimated Minor sales in the US. As to why there are not too many out there now..............rust I imagine!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
downsey
Minor Fan

Post by downsey »

In the three years i've owned my car, i have seen a total of 5 other morris minors in person. One of them was a car i bought for parts. Two of them at a national car show. And two others randomly parked on the side of the road.
Willie
Minor Legend

USA Minors

Post by Willie »

The Morris cars exported to the states, mainly Minors, numbered:
Split screen period...48-56 =8,727
948cc period............57-62=46,062
1098cc period..........63-68=1,851
Willie
downsey
Minor Fan

Post by downsey »

hmm i guess my '51 is really rare. I wonder how many other 4age splitties there are in the states :o
Zack
Minor Friendly

Post by Zack »

downsey wrote:
hmm i guess my '51 is really rare. I wonder how many other 4age splitties there are in the states :o
Probably not many!

Does the number listed above include MG or is it only Morris?
Willie
Minor Legend

Morris

Post by Willie »

Those figures include "all Morris cars". In Britain we would not consider an MG to be a Morris but I don't know if that applied at the time in the US.
Re the other query, the number exported to the states in 1951 was 1,583.
Willie
dinger

Post by dinger »

If I eventually marry my American girlfriend then my Moggie will be destined for Delaware !! Watch this space.
downsey
Minor Fan

Post by downsey »

Aw man you should be coming out to Cali, the weather is beautiful every day lol.
Zack
Minor Friendly

Post by Zack »

dinger wrote:If I eventually marry my American girlfriend then my Moggie will be destined for Delaware !! Watch this space.
Good luck! Make sure you have a garage though, the salty roads on the East Coast kill old cars quick!