Ideas to attract new young blood into the MMOC

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dean »

Les i'm getting the impression membership is falling.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

luridhue
Minor Fan

Post by luridhue »

I think a Calendar would be one idea. There is seeming lack of of suitable calendar, what about a minor calendar, some customs some gorgeous unmodifieds in it with some cool backdrops. I think it is a matter of instead of it being biscuit tin style it is a little more 'so cal' (as frank has said). I think small things such as this are the first steps. The thing would be getting it out into wider distribution.

I have plenty of free time that any organisation needed I will be willing to help out as much as possible. I also have a very close link with a printing firm if that helps, along with a baby safety firm but I don;t think that would be relevant... unless we use indoctrination from a very young age!
[sig]8974[/sig]It's not broken... it's British!
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

I'm not really suggesting getting a door open for young members only
what I'm saying is something to attract more members, from the younger generation to add to the current members, to be honest I'm following another forum, and I'm happy to see some young guys modifying Morries! and getting good feedback, this is not a one marque forum so other members are seeing Morris Minors and might get interested in the car :)

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

luridhue, my son and daughters nappies have pictures on them. Why not have nappies with a cartoon moggy with a happy face on the front or something? Now that is getting them in young :lol:
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

like the clear lenses,
Got some already ;-) (from the national)
I did chuckle when another memebr went "oh - they're clear. What do you want those for then" :lol:
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

When I attended the 2 fast ford days at Crail drag strip this year, there were folk of all ages participating in the event (I was the only Minor there - and oldest car), but I do find that a ford person is a ford person if you know what i mean (didn't get to race against any traditional fast fords though - they didn't seem interested in racing a Minor).
Don't see why a BMC day wouldn't be as successful - maybe not up here, but in the more populated areas.
Probably best to tag on to a Retro event though.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
luridhue
Minor Fan

Post by luridhue »

My OH is still adamant that the Little Red Thing looks like noddy's car... that really hurts me :(

We should sort out about getting a childrens show commissioned that has a moggy as it's main character! hehe. Or perhaps get in touch with Michael Bay and find out what we need to do get a Moggy transformer in the third film.
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

les wrote:If for example the Minor club 'door' tends to open later at, say 40, then everyone will get there at some point, and that's when they will come in,(or not) so what's the issue.
The thing is that most adults nowadays remember minors clearly from their childhood therefore the memories brought back by the minor are probably what brings a lot of adults to the club. The younger folk don't have that, we don't see that many minors on the road now so most of the young were never associated with them and never will be.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

BMC day sounds good! very good en if not enough get a BMC/BL day! clubs are arising for "new" classic cars! has to be open though modified original what ever!

FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

ANdy most of us like Minors as they look good, I do remember Minors when I was a child but they were already starting showing their age! when I was born the newest Morris Minor was already 13years old! so we have to attract young people by cool looks of a Minor not by an old picture of a traditional picnic with standard car :D (though I do like those :D) I started liking Morris Minors when I was 14 for the looks but when I saw a V8 Minor van on Street Machine, I said hey these cars can mean some real fun! :D

luridhue
Minor Fan

Post by luridhue »

Frank, same is for me, my family did not have morris minors, my dad had a gt6, and many many minis along with audis. My nan had cortinas, a vitesse a few austins. I fell in love with the moggy for it's damn good looks especially at a time when I was starting to get interested in cars (4-6 yrs old) Although the first drive in a minor was a few weeks ago I still love the looks of the minor and have no nostalgia attached to them. For me they are the ultimate in retro organic styling.
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

for me give me a roof chopped, shaved , custom rear end pick-up everyday :D

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

No - I'll sell you one though :D

I'll need 5 years or so to get one of them done, though
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

I do have 2 pick-ups and 2 vans :D but any other would be welcome when I have space! would be nice to have a UK back ended pick-up :)

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

Always read the small print.... :D

Jon Rocke
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

I did :D probably we'll get them ready together than!

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Yes I agree withyou, I fell in love with a minor at about age 7, my family had no links at all to the classic car world. I just feel in general that memories of childhood is the case, I feel that in 10-20 years time there will possibly be a thriving saxo or pug 106 owners club (if those cars havent fallen apart by then!)

One of my ideas is that maybe we should try to organise a general rally for youngsters with classic cars, these can range from minors to beetles or cortinas to early fiestas, whatever people would deem as a classic (and whoever people deem to be youngsters). I think it would be great if we could all move together as one big group without restrictions. I feel this would help broaden young people's minds as to what classic cars are out there and show people it's not just about beetles and minis.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

luridhue
Minor Fan

Post by luridhue »

I think you've got a good idea on the young classic car owners thing. It could make it possible to have some inter car transfers. (I hope that last bit makes sense, lol.)
luridhue
Minor Fan

Post by luridhue »

(I'd like to make it clear that when I say younger I do not necessarily mean age as in number of years alive, more so age as in interests/behaviour/culture)
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

a show with modified classic cars is good, but how can you keep out adults, what I'm actually thinking is a show as you're saying open to everyone but advertised in youngsters clubs! and youngsters places, I'm ure many youngsters don't know what a Morris Minor is! but maybe if they do come to this type of show they will get interested