Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tonym911
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

evenin' all

Post by tonym911 »

Just a quick hello from a brand new member (sadly not a brand new person). My name is Tony, I live in Warminster (Wiltshire), and I'm the lucky buyer of Mark C's 1970 Smoke Grey 2-door. I haven't actually got the car yet, it's still up north in Mark's garage, but having spoken to Mark – who is a great fella – I've got no worries. We've been looking for a Minor for a while now and this one seems perfect. I feel bad for Mark that he's been forced out of Minor ownership by health problems but I've promised him that I'll keep Jenny's flag flying high and will keep him posted on Jenny's further adventures in the warmer south. And I've no doubt that this superb website will be a big help there. Congratulations to all of you for making it so informative and readable. :D<br>Image<br>
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

welcome
toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

Welcome tony and that looks a car to be proud of
[sig]8906[/sig]
tonym911
Minor Fan

Post by tonym911 »

Thanks – you've seen nearly as much of it as I have! :lol:
[sig]9429[/sig] Northern by inclination, southern by destination.
rob.hardy1
Minor Fan

Post by rob.hardy1 »

Welcome. If you are travelling through swindon on your way down from t'north, let me know, i never miss a photo oppertunity. :D
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum :D The car looks gorgeous, I hope you will be very happy together; looking forward to seeing more of you both around these parts 8)

tonym911
Minor Fan

Post by tonym911 »

I plan to avoid all M-ways, take the A49 or some such, not sure if it goes near Swindon though! :-? I'll check me atlas.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Motorways are quite useful if you are driving a car which you want to go gently in; the fact of there being so many lanes means that people can easily overtake you and you don't feel guilty for going a bit slow and steady like :wink: 8)

tonym911
Minor Fan

Post by tonym911 »

If I'm honest with myself I suppose I was having unworthy thoughts about the relative merits of breaking down in a town rather than on a motorway... :oops:
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

But you are a member of the AA, right?

Although the last time I "broke down" [aka "killed Holden's car - again :roll: ] I was slightly consoled in my doom-laden despair by the fact that it had happened bang next to a very fine hostelry, which was able to fulfil my every whim while I waited for the tow truck to arrive. 8)

tonym911
Minor Fan

Post by tonym911 »

The missis is an RAC member by name, ie she's covered for anything she's driving, but I've got nothing at the mo'. Anybody got any feelings as to the relative merits of the various 'collection agencies'? Does the MMOC have any deals in place?
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

I'm with the AA. But the ETA has been strongly recommended to me - and it has green credentials, if that floats your boat (it does mine). They are supposed to be pretty good in terms of response time.

I don't know whether the club has any discount deals with any road rescue organisations - I have a feeling there might be something with the RAC. You could try asking the mega-efficient head office (Liz Saxon is your woman).

8)

tonym911
Minor Fan

Post by tonym911 »

Thanks Wibble! We're quite green here so I'll look up the ETA.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Some of the Classic Insurance companies include FREE roadside assistance and recovery in the cost of the premium. My insurance with RH costs £80 for the year - and has that cover. If you get roadside/recovery elsewhere - check it covers older cars - some limit car age to 15 years !
And where possible - I avoid Motorways - so much nicer to breakdown where you can pull off the road and sort it out yourself, rather than having to take shelter behind a barrier as monster trucks hammer past.
Motorway Police will generally not allow you to fix your car on the hard shoulder - and will insist on calling Roadside/Recovery service.
ImageImage
tonym911
Minor Fan

Post by tonym911 »

Thanks for that tip, interesting. I'll be trying to sort out insurance tomorrow, I wonder if the MMOC-linked Footman policy offers that breakdown facility? Just been checking ETA, they don't reduce their £105 premium if you delete home cover (whereas both RAC and AA do, to just over £70 each). But if I can get insurance AND breakdown cover for £80 I'll be very happy!
tonym911
Minor Fan

Post by tonym911 »

RH are?
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Onne

Post by Onne »

I have always fixed my car on the hard shoulder... over a dozen occasions in my time...
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

Onne just been reading something about doing that I am the same as you but highway rules are something like get out your car regardless of weather and stand up the grass bank for your own safety ring for help so sme little 2 bob money grabbing fix it resue company can come out and rip you off. as they probablyhave only ever seen a car like ours in a book. soapbox over to you
[sig]8906[/sig]
tonym911
Minor Fan

Post by tonym911 »

Thanks Louise. Hopefully the number of hard shoulders my Moggy ends up resting on will be smaller than the number it passes by, Onne!