Post by Matt »

Yey! lets do that!!!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Matt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Matt »

its a long way to birmingham from s'oton....... how long would it take at 50mph?????????? :o
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Its 110 miles!!!! arg!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

hmm... Birmingham = Gaydon...
a bit like saying S'oton is on the outskirts of London...
not that us clever types up here would get that confused ;-)

Gaydon is middle top of the map here showing S'oton
http://www.mapquest.co.uk/cgi-bin/ia_fi ... gf-d&pcat=
Probably 20 miles further for you than Cam, so about 100 miles.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I used the RAC web thing............ i still leave about 20 miles from soton!
Cam

Post by Cam »

Did they tell porkies or are you just surprised to hear about it on here first?
Well, the last that I heard (last meeting - 15th Dec) was that we had not decided on a venue and definite date yet. They probably put the date in 'matters' as a preliminary. I will find out more at the next meeting (19th Jan - next Monday). Thanks for prompting me Ray!
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

i would be going from soton (because its out of term time) Ray!
Benjy
Minor Fan

Post by Benjy »

Doh! Didn't spot the post before, the 25th is not good for me, but I'm sure I'll be able to make another rally sometime.

Last (the only) time I went go-karting I ended up with a HUGE bruise on my leg when someone else came into the side of my kart! T'was good fun though. I'd say 4x4 is safer, but I can see me rolling one over, so perhaps not!

Soton to Gaydon isn't bad, I did Wycombe to Lichfield over Chrismas in 2 and a half hours (at 60+) and got 46.5 mpg. I was dead chuffed as I struggled to get 35mpg out of the pickup. I could still have a conversation with Liz in the back too (baby occupies front seat).

Ben
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

its slightly scary, the furthest I have ever driven is soton to the south side of london, and the furthest i have been in the moggy is 20 miles......
rayofleamington

Matt,
Sounds like the Minor needs a good run then - It'll help remove the carbon deposits from the head and keep it running nicely. Give it a normal sevice (greasing and checking all the levels), then keep an eye on the oil and water over the few weeks before hand for some peace of mind. Stopping every 30 minutes to check the oil and water is a good idea if you've never done a long run before. It doesn't pay to test the top speed until you know how the car will behave.

Taking a Minor for its first long journey can be eventful if the car is NOT properly serviced. I took Riley on a 200 mile round trip to a rally the day after it was MOT'd, and it had been off the road for a few years. As I'd been running late with the MOT work I'd skipped the servicing etc.. We made it there and back with some amusing stories to tell.

If you can drive to south London, then driving through Oxfordshire and Warwickshire will be more of a pleasant adventure than 'scary'.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

M3 all the way then some M25!, I'm not to worried about how the car will behavein terms of the engine, its barely used any oil in 3000 miles and the water has stayed at the same level (quite high) for that period of time. I used it every day last year to commute to work (12 miles each way), in fact i don't know what i'm worried about, but something! (and i will have to remove the screw from the tyre before and get a new spare...... (it's only just legal atm....) There won't be much carbon on the head we re-cond the egine about 6500 miles ago - along with the box! oh and going to london was in a ford fiesta.... only saw 3 cops on the route!
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

There's always the back roads. I'll be coming up from Warminster and will probably use the back roads as they're a bit more direct!
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

there's always the possiblity the car will be sold :( and my brother may get one..... :evil:
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Any chance we could make it the 10th July ? - I would have to take leave on the 25th and I won't be able to confirm that until a week before (because other people have already booked leave from Mid July). The 10th of July should be fine for students and it's before most people with kids go on holiday I would think?

Matt, 110 miles is no problem for a healthy Minor. The more they're used the more reliable they become. However, if you haven't got the car in July or if it's unreliable, let me know and I'll pick you up from Banbury station (there are plenty of direct trains from Southampton to Banbury).
rayofleamington

Hi Chris,
As the National is 26th / 27th June (also in Midlands) I was thinking on giving people a few free weekends in between.
Many of us will be going to both.
I've already adked Gaydon about the 25th, and am awaiting their response.
However I'm keeping an open mind for the next couple of weeks. By the time February comes time will run out for any changes as we'll need a write up in Matters done by end of Feb (closing date early March for May/June magazine)

(c) ;-) Ray.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

i know the car can make the drive...... its just me thats the problem!!!!
WebEditor
Minor Friendly

Rally Organisers

Post by WebEditor »

Hi Guys

I'm going to get all official on you now :roll:

This all sounds like an excellent idea and you have my support. But:

In order to get full recognition and make sure everyone's safe and happy, I think it would be an excellent idea to appoint a nominated "Chairperson" or (I daren't say this) a rally "committee" to take responsibility for the event.

If we're going to be representing the MMOC and the MMOC website, then this would need to be set up asap and presented to the full committee.

The rally organisers would need to be fully paid up members of the MMOC to make sure that they are covered by the Club's public liability insurance. Also the rally organisers would be accountable to the Club, it's members and anybody who goes to the rally, and may be held accountable for its finances (i.e. - who spends what on what and how much did it all cost and how much went in to the rally organisers beer funds...allegedly etc) and the inevitable complaints about toilets

It would also be worth contacting Rosie Hamilton and/or Ian Phillips Benn to gain their support, and to make sure that you aren’t going to run into any pit falls.

I do apologise if I’m teaching anyone to suck eggs or if you’ve already thought of this, but I’ve seen too many mistakes and horror stories during my eleven years on the committee.

I also think that it’s important that you get the credit for this, and that the person who’s ultimately responsible for anything done under the good-award-winning-name of the MMOC website (i.e. me) can in no way be blamed for anything that might go wrong! :-?

So, if you can get all this together I would be pleased to present it to the MMOC committee for their approval on your behalf. We can then get a virtual rubber stamp and off you go!

Will this be the first Cyber Rally? :o
Andrew Booth
MMOC Website Editor
[img]http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/Images/nov2001thu.jpg[/img]
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

probably........
WebEditor