Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
purplebargeken
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Abandoned Minor in North London

Post by purplebargeken »

Can anyone help me. This car is just around the corner from where I live in North London. It has been unlicenced since 1999. According to a old boy fellow ex-merchie whom I spoke with today, the car has been sitting on the road there for a couple of years. He said that the police had a quick look at it a few days ago.

It looks like Trafalger Blue and seems fairly solid up top. It is minus an o/s rear light. It has a lock to the handbrake and gear lever and has an old alarm, don't know anything else. I knocked on a few doors but no-one knew anything. I will continue to knock and have left a note expressing my interest on the windscreen. Anything else I can do?

I would hate it to be scrapped.

Cheers

Ken
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Ask the police if you can store it somewhere while you make enquiries to find the owners.I'm suprised it's still there and not stripped after a couple of years, especially untaxed.
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Would this be worth a try?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

You'll have to try--to know if it was worth it! It's a start surely?
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Don't know but worth a try.

I'm very surprised that a car with no tax has been left on a public road in London for so long without the council towing it away :o Most London local authorities are very hot on this and are quick to tow abandoned vehicles away. Are you sure it's been there for several years? Does it look like it's been sitting outside for years? I imagine it would look pretty filthy. Are the tyres flat?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

If it has no tax disc on display the police can, and will, crush it. they are cracking down on un-roadtaxed cars, so I would take Les's advice and not hang about. Let the local police know and get a serial number to prove you've reported that you are taking action to recover. They can also inform you if it's been reported stolen by the previous owner.Then the DVLC is your next point of contact, get a V62 and a SORN in to them pronto. Good luck and keep this thread up to date, love to hear how you get on.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Phew, have done some research with help from folk in my other Club. It would appear that this is viable. As long as I inform all and sundry of my intentions, applied for the V5C, taken reasonable steps to try and identify the owner of the vehicle, etc, etc.

I should be ok as according to the Theft Act as there is a provision to be acting in the best interest of the owner depending on certain circumstances, even though the owner cannot be contacted. As long as I have taken reasonable steps, etc.

The car is shabby, dirty with flat paint, half flat tyres, rubbish around the wheels. This is a car that hasn't driven for some time.

I plan to take some photos of it in situ tomorrow, I will ask more of the neighbours about the car. I will also apply for a V5C. I'll post the pics and keep you all updated.

Hopefully not from Wormwood Scrubs.

Ken
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Ok, V62 completed, covering letter now being typed for the DVLA and local police. Will all be sent off tomorrow.

I really would appreciate peoples thoughts and opinions on this.

Cheers

Ken
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Has to be gone for, I'd say. Might be worth a call to the polis to say what's going on - they can hi-ab it away in minutes
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Hi Andrew, my thoughts exactly. I have done a letter for the local police and will take it round tomorrow. Thedy are only 5 minutes away. I will make sure to get a receipt for the letter too or some kind of reference number. I will keep a copy of every letter and form generated. Wish me luck.

Ken

Ken
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Wishing you good luck with this. lets have a picture of the car, try to obscure the reg number though.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

try to obscure the reg number though.
Why? :-? It's already mentioned in the "Do you know" thread.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Ooops. Have amended it. Sorry :oops:
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

As long as you cover yourself go for it. The police must know who the last registered owners are anyway.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

morrisfan
Minor Friendly

Post by morrisfan »

im in a simlar situation theres a car local to me that has not moved for 2 to 3 years i dont know how it has not been spotted by the police or council but i would like to claim it i have had no luck finding the owner. is there such a procedure you can go through to claim it as yours??
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Hiya, this is a first for me too. I will post full details with regards to what I have done and letters. I'll hopefully know more tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Ken
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Had another look at the car. My note on the windscreen was untouched. The car has been standing there for a minimum of one year. Spoke to several neighbours who didn't know any details. I have taken photos of the car. I did notice that there was a MMOC sticker in the o/s rear passenger window. Is there any trace of the car within the Club. I have put another notice on the car window stating that enquiries are being made to the DVLA re: ownership. I spoke to the DVLA this morning and have completed thge request for information form. I will redraft a letter to the police and take it round in the morning.

The car looks very straight indeed. Worst surface bit appears to be the boot lid. Remarkably the car was unlocked :o :o :o

One of my small Triumph keys fitted the drivers door and I locked it. The bootlid was also unlocked. I will post some photos shortly.
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Piccies as promised. Is there anyway that someone could check on Club records as you can see the MMOC sticker in the window. You never know!

[/img]Image
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Good idea, The club membership secretary should have an address on record.
Someone will be along soon with their name and address :)
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

That would be brilliant if it was possible.