Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

What should I do?

Post by Sidney'61 »

My car is currently missing it's front end and suspension. When I finish my exams I'm going to respray it and rebuild it over the summer, I hope it will be finished some time in august before I go to uni in september.
It's currently MoTed and taxed till october however the MoT expires mid June :o . Does this mean I'll have to declare it SORN for the couple of months over the summer or will I be able to get away with it as it's still taxed?
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

kep within the law and sorn it, it does not cost anything
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

hi sidney
try to get as much done as possible (late nights) so you can meet your dead line without having to declare it sorn (if possible). is there anyone else that can help you out with it???????????
[sig]9671[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Obviously you're not allowed to use it on the road without MOT (or insurance) even though it is taxed, but that's it. If it's taxed till October then you don't need to do anything regarding SORN until October.
If the car is still not MOT'd when the tax runs out then you'll need to SORN it but that's completely painless if you do it via the internet.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

So it's definitely legal to just leave it taxed with an expired MoT? I won't be driving it at all until it goes to the MoT station.

Andrew, I'm not doing any big jobs on the car until my exams are over (16th June), once i start working on the car I will be putting in many late nights however I want my paint job to come out looking half-decent so I really don't want to end up rushing the prep work etc (and I need to rely on weather conditions :roll: )... Besides, I have the other car for shows in the summer so that's another reason not to rush it.
Good idea though...
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

SORN only relates to the tax :)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

...although entirely dependent on whether it's OFF ROAD or not - hence the name. If it is, you're laughing. AFAIR, it has to have an MOT to be even parked on the street - please shout if I'm wrong.
R_Parr
Minor Friendly

Post by R_Parr »

Sidney'61 wrote:I'm not doing any big jobs on the car until my exams are over (16th June)
I'm counting down the days! My last exam is on the 16th too - Can't wait till the end of these exams, then I get to fiddle with the moggy all summer long!
[sig]8601[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

So it's definitely legal to just leave it taxed with an expired MoT? I won't be driving it at all until it goes to the MoT station.
As BG said - as long as it's OFF ROAD there is no problem - which is good as I seem to get into that situation a few times every year. :roll:
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
canterburyalan

Post by canterburyalan »

you only have to fill in a SORN when the TAX runs out
A car can be left on the road with no MOT or Insurance but no not have any Ignition Keys with you when you get near the Car

The government are hopeing to introduce continious Insurance but thats in the future
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

That's good news. I'll be leaving home before the tax runs out anyway so I really have to get the car finished before then.
Not declaring it SORN will make it easier when I finish just to get an MoT and be off with the old insurance and tax.
Thanks all for your input.

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

canterburyalan wrote: A car can be left on the road with no MOT or Insurance but no not have any Ignition Keys with you when you get near the Car
Is this really the case , it goes against all other advice I have been given.
We have had a customer who had his traveller in a brick garage, taxed and insured but with no MOT . Unfortunately the car caught fire and the insurance company washed their hands of it saying that it was uninsureable due to lack of MOT. This left the customer £9K out of pocket and car less as the estimated repair cost was in excess of £12K. :-?

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

canterburyalan wrote:

A car can be left on the road with no MOT or Insurance but no not have any Ignition Keys with you when you get near the Car
I'm sure you need tax, mot and insurance for the vehicle to be on the road, whether you've got the keys or not.

Jon Rocke
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

you need tax, mot and insurance for the vehicle to be on the road
Correct. It is a criminal offence to have a car on "THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY" without a current MOT or insurance. Car can be towed and crushed.
It is a criminal offence not to display a road tax disc, but a civil offence not to buy a tax disc.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Exactly. Yet a caravan can sit on the Highway quite happily - although of course it may be deemed to be causing an obstruction.
ImageImage