Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
limegreen
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Just New!

Post by limegreen »

Well, my dad just bought me a Morris, she's lime green, and a 2 door coupe. I owe him washing up for the next 4 billion years, and no 18th birthday present for me! Either way, hopefully we'll collect her some time next week!
Hooray! So excited.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys knew the best way to insure a Morris - I'm 17, currently on a Provisional licence and aiming to pass my test over the summer holidays. I've already mastered parallel parking after 5 lessons!

Thanks!
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

do what i did join the morris minors owners club for 26 quid and then insurse ur car with footman james. i just passed my test and third party fire and theft is 600 quid and fully comp 900 quid !! so its worth joining. and if you ready my little moggy crash that was me lol alrady got to fix mine
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

Yeah, I did read about your crash. that really sucks. Was that your minor in your signature? I do like them in black <3
I just got some gocompare quotes, and they said £537.00 with Auto Trader before I pass my test, and £837.00 after I pass, also with Auto Trader - That's just basic insurance though.
Hmm.. Considering joining.
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

thanks and its blue but will be black in about 6 months lol but i got quoted 2300 from lv that was my cheapest before. so i joined for 26 quid and saved loads of monery which i now have to spend on parts lol to fix it
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

I can see how I've mistaken it for black xD Is he going matt or gloss? I wish you all the best of luck on getting him fixed up nicely, it must be a real bummer crashing so soon after your test.
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

ive not decided yet and he will be one i the best i hope, haha, and yes because i now cant drive it round till i put a disk break conversion on it.
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

Oooh, ouch, but it's always good to make sure your brakes are safe! I think moggies need gloss paint, personally!

My dad is swearing about buying a moggy, he absoloutely hates working on them - he used to have an old lady bring hers to his garage and ask why it wasn't working! Every single time he had to tell her that she was using the choke as a handbag hook, which is certainly not good for your car.
Silly old lady!
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

my dad told me a storie like that , he said that most woman used to pull the choke out put the handbag on it and forget it was on so they used more petrol haha. i do like gloss and i want a black and red leather interior
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

Oooh, black and red leather interior! Very nice. I've seen photos of mine so far, and all the metalwork is lime green, with lovely red leather. <3
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

well have fun driving it. they are they best thing ive ever drivin. (ive driving about 6 cars haha)
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

I will! I started driving in landrovers at about 12, now I'm learning in a Ford Focus (blegh!) ._____.
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

thats why i learned to drive in haha. there so rubish
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

yeah! I like to actually feel the bite on my clutch, please! oh and maybe know where my front end is.
aggie
Minor Friendly

Post by aggie »

not keen on your red and black leather idea,
hey im georgie, 18 and i had my moggy last year as my 17th b-day pressie, i was doing my final duke of ed gold hike and and turned 17 on the friday the 13th of june (obv last year) and as it happend miss read the map and got a bit lost, i got the blame for having an unlucky b-day date. when we got back i found her in the car park as my group pulled in and there sat aggie(1965 old english white moggy traveller) with a big red bow tied on her. she's called aggie as her reg plate is aug c so shes agartha christie, ha my friends thought i was a nut case for wanting one, have yours seen your car yet? they will say the same things, luckily you wont have the comment about how it looks like a herse!
give your car a good look over and a service when she arrives to make sure all is in order or you will be hit by big repair bills like me come the next mot.
sorry to hear about the crash hot rodder, i would be gutted if it happend to aggie.
btw moggies are the best cars to learn to drive in, especally for understanding the clucth. on your practical exam tell your examinor all about your car, it will make them smile if they know it and they will pass you because they know you wont be a speed freak with a max speed of 67mph!
g.
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

oooh, lovely, a traveller! most of my friends are classic nuts too, so have been all excited and scouring ebay for one for me since I started driving. my boyfriend prefers travellers over coupes, but i like the coupes best. xD
that's a pretty good numberplate for a moggy!
my dad is a mechanic (we're currently restoring a 1949 ford f1 pickup) so anything wrong with her hen she arrives can be fixed in a jiffy - she's been off the road since 2002, and the current owner says she's looking very good for such a long time SORN.
I do hope to do my test in her, as everyone on my mother's side has passed in a moggy <3
aggie
Minor Friendly

Post by aggie »

ha fab,
sorry to break your heart but you will not be allowd by the dsa driving test standards for the car to do it in a moggy, i tried. its something to do with the mirrors, the seat belt, not being able to adjust the seats and on top of that the air bag and headrests, hense they ask you a question about the head rest.
the travellers are just so beautiful, great for fitting my surf board in too, and for sleeping in when if had too many drinks to drive home. can gat cold in the winter through.
when i passed it was a snow day and my heather inside wasnt working, took me a while to repair so i had to drive windows down holding my breathe to stop the windows from steaming up on all the rainy days that followed!
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

darn those new regulations! Thanks for telling me though, saves me some time.
I bet they're great for surf boards O: I'd never thought of that - sadly I don't surf.

Whoa passing in the snow.. well done.
aggie
Minor Friendly

Post by aggie »

yeah i was gutted when i found out.
it was a good day to have a test on realy, hardly any traffic!
yeah, you should try surfing when ever you get the chance, only problem with my board (other than the fact its missing a fin, i took a frend out for her first time, rode it over rocks and dinged and ripped the fin clean off!) is that its 7ft 6 and so goes all the way to the passenger footwell, and my mates and i are ment to be doing a surfing/ geology tour of britain or irland this summer before uni so i need to find a roof rack, but everyone is saying they dont go on travellers and only fit at the frount, if i want one its you have to make one, so that will be fun to work out!
limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

ooh, that'd be a pretty cool little project! I'd try surfing, but it's a good few hours to the closest decent beach from here (wye valley), and I have an awful sense of balance xD
aggie
Minor Friendly

Post by aggie »

haha, its the best way to get a good core strength and learning your balance.
im heading towards your way come september for uni, going to cheltenham. i love hay on wye, its so picture-esk (however you spell it)
i had a few interviews in hereford and went on a drive afterwards around the wye vally, got lost and found so many beautiful hamlets around the area, i remember one was called grosnop? or something...
i think that theres a program on bbc 2 tomorrow night or looking at the time tonight in a few minutes with our car on! its like a vintage aa route for vintage cars around britian, wye valley was last week