Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
plastic_orange
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Improvements to OUR Owners Club

Post by plastic_orange »

I've not re joined this year. No real reason other than there isn't much these days to interest me, especially as I like modified Minors.
Most events are at the other end of the country from me, and the Scottish events are very samey, plus not greatly welcoming.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The most impotant part of organising a rally is the finances. OK not much of a problem for a local branch rally but for a large event where a venue has to be paid for the books have to balance or someone is out of pocket.
[sig]3580[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

plastic_orange wrote:especially as I like modified Minors.
There is a register for modified cars, get involved and get them to organise something.
[sig]3580[/sig]
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

plastic_orange wrote: No real reason other than there isn't much these days to interest me, Most events are at the other end of the country from me, and the Scottish events are very samey, plus not greatly welcoming. Pete
I totally agree
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Sorry, I regard that as a defeatist attitude. As the saying goes "If you want something done do it yourself".
Or to misquote a biblical text "Where two or more Morris Minors are gathered together you have a rally"
[sig]3580[/sig]
santadawes
Minor Addict

Post by santadawes »

GDL wrote:OK, i am not a member, but have been in another club (not morris). Anyway what i have noticed is there seems to be little organised for South Wales (that i can find)

For example, a club site which i look at shows a list of events coming up along with their entry forms, albeit majority local, along with pictures from previous events etc, etc. not just of their club but other cars on the day. They also seem to do alot of meets/rallies.

I do know that the south wales meet is the 1st Wednesday of every month (somebody correct me if wrong) which i am sure more stuff is discussed, but maybe this should be adviertised or shown on the web to try and encourage people along.

The one thing i do like about this club (website) is the sections for Modified and concours cars, showing that everyone has their own tastes and that needs to be encouraged.

Hi GDL and everybody. I am a Sth. Wales Branch member. Our club will be meeting at "The Barn" at llantristant, Nr Cardiff on the 3rd March (1st Wed in the Month) at 8pm We now meet upstairs if you ask at the bar they should tell you where we are. You and everyone is welcome to attend. You are right in saying that there's not a lot happening in our area. this is NOT a criticism about Our Branch but as our members are almost over the age of 50 they have not been so active.
When we joined in 2006 we asked what the do club get up too. "We sit and talk about our Morrises" came the reply. I along with my wife have been able to get out and attend the 2007 Pencoed show and that has spurred them into organising a fish and chip run and a few more events to attend.
When the MMOC celebrated it's 60th. We held a branch run around the Valleys and the excitement grew. Last year we attended more events and I organised a Run along the Wye Vally. This is to be arranged again this April and other events will be on the cards. Our web site needs a lot of work but that another story.
All clubs need people who can organise events that suit all members.

GDL
Minor Friendly

Post by GDL »

Brilliant Santadawes, the Barn is only a 5 minutes trek from me and my Brother in law (beddau is our location), so hopefully i will try and meet up at this one.

Both me and my brother in law like modified moggies, so hopefully this will not cause to much of a stir.

I agree it is difficult to organise things, but a "rally around the valley" would be good, it can also turn into a family day (considering i have 2 young uns) . if you look at www.gwentmgoc.org.uk you will see what i mean by listing the up & coming events and pictures of them
santadawes
Minor Addict

Post by santadawes »

Yes I am with you on that one. I know Sandra Harris from the Gwent MGOC and use their web site on a regular basis If it moves they know about it and entry forms are easily downloaded on their site. Hope to see you there on Wednesday night.
Santa.

John C
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by John C »

I've been a member continuously since 1979 and believe that the MMOC is at a major crossroads. It needs heaps of improvements to broaden its appeal to youngsters, to those who don't have (or want) concours cars and to those who want to do more than sit on a plastic chair behind their car at a rally.

John C

stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Hi there. I'm 18 and I am quite happy with how the club is at the moment. I am not always available to do certain events and have only been to the Morris Minor Day at Crich. From what I have heard the rallies and other meets are fantastic and I really can't wait to go to one. Hopefully the one this year in Yorkshire.
I would quite like the idea of meeting with a few cars and driving in convoy, maybe this already happens but I don't think the club should change :lol:
Steve

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
'61Morris
Minor Friendly

Post by '61Morris »

I've been a member of the MMOC for 16 years now (since I was 17) and still like to think of myself as a "young" member at 32! I would say that from my experience of the many rallies I've been to over the years, it's been very clear that I've generally been the youngest one there! But, judging from this website, there are obviously more and more young drivers out there and we certainly need to encourage this. I use my Morris all through the year and it has always been my only mode of transport. I feel that this alone is extremely important for the future of the club, and the cars, as it means that more and more people get to see them every day on our roads. This then will hopefully encourage future owners to buy one as they can see first hand that the Morris is a very practical every day car. When I started driving my first Morris back in '94, waving to other Morris Minor drivers was a very common occurrence. Now, it seems to be a very rare occurrence as more and more cars are locked away and only come out for shows. The cars are of course that much older now, and time will have taken its toll on them, but it would be nice to see a few more of them out and about showing off the marque to potential new owners.

As far as the rallies themselves go, I've always been a great fan of the "runs" where you actually get in the cars and drive them in convoy rather than just looking at parked cars in a field. I've taken lots of friends of my age on the runs and they've always enjoyed them very much. There's nothing better than seeing a convoy of Morris Minors driving over London's Bridges or through the countryside and seeing the bemused looks & smiles on onlookers' faces!

Now that sadly the London Bridges Run is no more, and even more sadly the London to Brighton Run is no more, we've been robbed of two of the best rallies in the South East. I really do find that the rallies that work the best for younger owners involve driving in convoy through nice countryside and then finishing somewhere of interest. A day in Brighton after the run obviously appeals to people of all ages, and lunch at a nearby country pub is also a good end to a run. The main rallies I go to now are the runs organised by the Surrey Hills Branch which always involve very long and enjoyable drives through the countryside, and the Kent Branches Hop - again driving through the countryside. Whenever I've done the Kent Hop with friends, the highlight is always the run itself rather than wandering around the parked cars for hours afterwards which we tend not to do! We usually have a quick look round the cars, then go off somewhere for a nice pub lunch.

Sorry to waffle on like this, but I do feel that this is a very important issue for the future of the club and the cars themselves. So, to clarify my points: we need more people taking their cars out onto the roads generally to inspire potential owners; and more "runs" organized by the club to encourage younger members to take part.

Rob Smith.
[sig]9257[/sig]
Bluebell - 1961 Clipper Blue 948cc genuine Tourer.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

'61Morris wrote: Sorry to waffle on like this, but I do feel that this is a very important issue for the future of the club and the cars themselves. So, to clarify my points: we need more people taking their cars out onto the roads generally to inspire potential owners; and more "runs" organized by the club to encourage younger members to take part.
Rob Smith.
But we still need the input from the younger members as to what they want at the rallys, I expect the highlight for the youngsters at last years national was the JLH cars on the track even if they were a bit tame (if you kept your eyes shut and held your breath :lol: ) and I almost managed to walk in a straight line afterwards :o
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

I agree with what Rob has said. We have my car and another classic and love waving at other owners and although we only ever see people out in the summer, we still venture in the freezing cold (its a convertible :P). That was one of the main reasons for getting a minor was the community out and about. Especially the welcome on the forum.
I am the only one with a classic in my school (apart from a bug) and everyone really loves my car, however I can't see it convincing many to buy one. It is a shame but I do know a couple of younger owners.
To me, it is my car and I absolutely love driving it around even if I see no other classics about. It is always a great event. If someone wants to garage their car to preserve it, thats fine as long as it is used. More people should enjoy driving, save up and do any repairs needed. Instead of preserving it for the future when we can't enjoy it as much or it'll be sold to someone who'll just store it again.
Come out of those garages people and enjoy the British roads while there aren't TOO many speed bumps and restrictions. :D

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Rich, I'm not commenting on this post simply because I feel that until we get tangiable evidence that the committee actually read this forum and take our comments on board we are all simply wasting our time here regarding change or development of the MMOC :o :(

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

'61Morris wrote:-snip- The main rallies I go to now are the runs organised by the Surrey Hills Branch which always involve very long and enjoyable drives through the countryside, and the Kent Branches Hop - again driving through the countryside. Whenever I've done the Kent Hop with friends, the highlight is always the run itself rather than wandering around the parked cars for hours afterwards which we tend not to do! We usually have a quick look round the cars, then go off somewhere for a nice pub lunch.

Sorry to waffle on like this,-snip-.
Not waffle at all- as a member of the HOP organising committee, it is really nice to hear some favourable comments about the HOP :D :)

We do our best! It takes a lot of work to put these events on. As I'm sure it takes a lot to run the club and put on the annual national rally and impossible to please everyone all the time. We are currently trying to sort out this years venue for the HOP after a few false starts and being let down a couple of times. :(
I agree with you though, I started driving my Minor in the 1990's and there were still a lot on the road then. Now though it is getting increasingly rare to get a wave back because I hardly see any Minors on the road at all.

Say hello at the next HOP! I'll either be in the Traveller or my white convertible (weather permitting!)
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

jonathon wrote:Rich, I'm not commenting on this post simply because I feel that until we get tangiable evidence that the committee actually read this forum and take our comments on board we are all simply wasting our time here regarding change or development of the MMOC :o :(
I hear you mate. I am hoping to be able to collate this info to present formally in a structured manner to the club. Hence my initial request for constructive comment (hopefully from the full spectrum of board users). I believe the "office" do read this board although they rarely comment, however, I will present "this" information separately so I know it will be received.....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Sorry to be negative Rich, but for the past 4 years there have been substantial comments regarding the short comings of 'our' National Rallies, this has been actively persued at the AGM yet we still find ourselves dealing with the very same issues,
I simply do not believe that the committee want to listen to debate and fresh ideas.
The 'club' has a very simple remit, 'to promote the use of....' and as such we have branches,,branch rallies, regional rallies and national rallies. We have a magazine, regalia ,club spares, and 'prefered' insurance deals. The basic requirements of an owners club are being met, and for many this is enough.
I for one believe that we are left bereft of original thought when it comes to major projects such as the national rally, and we have a very entrenched belief in the committee, that they know best, and they do not need to even acknowledge the existance of this forum , by simply patricipating on it .
Please do not tell me that they are busy people and do not have time.
So if I were to suggest one improvement only, it would be an appeal that the committee, or a representative, afford us the time and respect we deserve as members of this forum.Listen to debate, ideas and our concerns and show us that they care.

DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

The exact same thing has happened to the Reliant Owners Club which ive been in on and off for a few years,same sort of issues as well,every year we suggest ideas to the comittee etc on how to improve the national rally and get more members,they are dead stuck in their ways which they have been for the last 50 years,they dont listen and arent interested,which has resulted in their membership dropping from 2500 10 years ago to below 700 now.

plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

mike.perry wrote:
plastic_orange wrote:especially as I like modified Minors.
There is a register for modified cars, get involved and get them to organise something.
I'm already involved in the 'modified' scene, and have been for over 30 years. I have organised events in the past (major headache that I won't repeat), I attend events that interest me (cars and motorcycles), I participate in drag racing locally, and keep active in the hot rodding scene in Scotland.
I've attended the MM rallies in Scotland in the past, and in all honesty they weren't inspiring, plus the last one I went to I was totally ignored by the organisers - more interested in hob nobbing with minor celebrities.
I really don't know the solution as far as the MMOC becoming a more interesting place for me, and there really isn't sufficient modded minor interest for an event to stand on it's own - especially up here.
Plenty good guys I've met in the modded minor scene though - just too far apart and too few :D

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
overider
Minor Fan

Post by overider »

jonathon wrote:
Please do not tell me that they are busy people and do not have time.
So if I were to suggest one improvement only, it would be an appeal that the committee, or a representative, afford us the time and respect we deserve as members of this forum.Listen to debate, ideas and our concerns and show us that they care.
HEAR! HEAR! WELL SAID!!!!!

I think they must be sitting back on there laurels and thinking Hu! If any one wants to join a mmoc then we are the only alternative. Therefore, We have the cat in the bag .
HAVE IT! LOVE IT! DRIVE IT!