Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PSL184
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Improvements to OUR Owners Club

Post by PSL184 »

I don't want this to turn into a bashing of the MMOC. I hope this thread will list constructive improvements that can be read by committee members and hopefully taken on-board. This is, after all, OUR club and there are many younger members who want a bit more from the "club" and "events" than the older members need. I also recognise that some people will be happy with things as they are, in which case, please say so. The driver for this thread is "where will we be in 10 years time". If the club doesn't move with the times I fear it will fade away..... :(
So, pls list what you see as ways to improve and progress whilst maintaining the integrity and broad appeal - over to you all 8)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Dryad
Minor Addict

Re: Improvements to OUR Owners Club

Post by Dryad »

I entirely agree. I've been a member of the MMOC since 2005, and although not exactly young (I'm 45) I do sometimes feel that the club is aimed mainly at the 60+ group. Perhaps the MMOC should seek to get a couple of younger members onto the committee, and then we could perhaps have a club which reflects ALL of its members. I feel the situation is worse with some branch clubs, with their outings to bowling matches, fancy dress do's and visits to museums and stately homes. It's certainly put me off joining a local branch! Now, a Club outing to something like the Glastonbury Festival would certainly help attract a new generaton of Minor fans... :D

DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

just a few things to get it going.I have absolutely zero interest in concours,so rather than have a line of static ornaments that people judge could we not have some maneuvrability(cant spell that lol) events where members could have a go at their driving skills,this is always popular at the Reliant rallies ive been to,forgive me if this is something that is already done as i havent been to a national yet.

I would like to see more interest taken in rougher(for want of a better word) minors or those that do lots of miles,as generally these are the younger element like myself who might use their car as their only transport and are pretty dedicated.not sure how this would be done but it would be nice to have an alternative to the obsession with concours events,myself i find it a bit sick having cars that never get used paraded out and parked up with mirrors underneath so you can see how little dirt there is under it :lol:

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

I think (and hope) there will always be a place for concours (for those interested) but I agree a sort of "Chertsy Concours" (pls forgive my spelling) would be fun to run alongside the main event each year..... There were some driving events at last years National but this would depend on location so would have to be considered in the event of choosing the location.....
[sig]8426[/sig]

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i dont mind concourse, afterall all the makes do it in there own clubs, but a move away from the snobbery that is associated with it would be a good move
there is as much work to keep a modified car in tip top as a concourse
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

I have listed a few events on the National Rally thread. These are things we could do at the rally and I for one would be happy to help out. Things to draw in youger members are things such as..
Road runs i.e London to Brighton, Pub-to-pub etc
BBQs. A good thing for the warmer months to get people talking, especially down here in Bournemouth
Track days

I'm 21 btw and I do feel we as a club need to accomodate both the younger and older generation.
Bash's Speed Shop
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well of course the younger ones can organize some events for the area, many would turn up i am sure
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

i dont really like my local branch because they dont go in there cars and they were talking about something completly diffrent, maybe if they did go in there cars more then once a year i might,
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

I agree a sort of "Chertsy Concours" (pls forgive my spelling) would be fun to run alongside the main event each year..
we went to a "chertsey concours" with the trav a couple of years ago. the prizes were awarded for:-
most putty on exhaust
most confused morris (which we won)
worst wood
most greenery
etc
this made it a fun show
when we took the trav to its first show, we were asked to put him on branch ave,coz everyone would have "shiny" cars and we, the web branch, wanted something different.
i agree that that national is "the same" but in a different place. iots about time for a different place AND a different national. the way things are at the moment, we will not be at the national this year. sorry .
DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

well if you want someone to judge the anti concours(ie the opposite of concours cars)id be very happy to do it,im a big fan of cars that wear their age and battlescars with pride...dont get them confused with neglected wrecks,quite often you will find that the roughest looking cars are the best sorted mechanically,because their owners are more concerned with their cars running their best and being reliable than fitting lots of shiny bits :lol:

points could be awarded for:
fibreglass panels.
number of different paint shades
most collapsed drivers seat
how far rust on the bootlid extends upwards
:lol:

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Did someone mention catering for the over 60s? Hell that's almost me!
There is room for a wide spectum of activities within the MMOC, from the static rally at a stately home to a run in the country such as the late lamented London to Brighton Run, wasn't someone organising a run this year?
A local branch picnic to the British tours and the annual overseas trips.
There is concours judging for those that like to keep thier cars as they were driven out of the showroom, remembering that cars have to be driven to several events a year at different ends of the country to qualify, and room for those who manage to wipe the dirt off the hubcaps.
That about covers the activities undertaken by my local branch plus of course the monthly evening meetings which often have something going on which does not include grope bags.
Any other suggestions are welcome
[sig]3580[/sig]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

mike.perry wrote: grope bags.
I'm up for some of that - whatever it is :roll: :wink:
[sig]8426[/sig]

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

"Grope Bags" = odd shaped bits off a Minor usually in a bag 12-20 ish objects, you grope it and guess what is there.. It can prove quite difficult! :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

DanRodd wrote:well if you want someone to judge the anti concours(ie the opposite of concours cars)id be very happy to do it,im a big fan of cars that wear their age and battlescars with pride...dont get them confused with neglected wrecks,quite often you will find that the roughest looking cars are the best sorted mechanically,because their owners are more concerned with their cars running their best and being reliable than fitting lots of shiny bits :lol:

points could be awarded for:
fibreglass panels.
number of different paint shades
most collapsed drivers seat
how far rust on the bootlid extends upwards
:lol:
I think that used to called wreck of the rally - an award that seems to have fallen into disuse these days. Only award I've won at a MMOC event was wreck of the rally at the Scottish Rally in, er, 1995 which was quite fun as we were on the way north to do the JOGLE Run so the car was quite fit but we obviously scored well for grey primer and rust patches! Really must follow it up with real concours one day to get the set!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

We used to have "wreck of the run" prize at the Kent branches hop rally but too many owners were offended at receiving this prize so we had to stop it. yes, it is fun, but there are drawbacks. By the way, our rally changes place and format from year to year, unlike all the other Kent classic car rallies that stay in the same venue each year, and we feature an organised drive through a different part of the beautiful kent countryside each year as part of the rally. The prizes given out are voted for by entrants- no judges, no concours snobbery- just democratic voting- and include "best modified" so we cater for all cars, and we also have a lot of other types of classic cars (including "modern classics" and kit cars/ specials join us) as well as Morris Minors join our rally.

Maybe the National rally and other clubs could benefit from some of these ideas.

Plus, in the East Kent branch we go on holiday for a long weekend each year. This year is the beautiful Isle of Wight. A few years ago we went to hampshire and drove around the Goodwood circuit. Was supposed to be three parade laps, but a few of our members held back and then "went for it". We got a telling off by the course marshall! :oops:

I think if you want to influence and improve the club. Don't just sitback and complain, but get active, join your local branch, get involved and change things from within the MMOC!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I ruled myself out of the wreck of the rally prize by having my Series MM resprayed after 30 years of ownership. I ended up with the "most surprised the judges award" at last years nat. rally
[sig]3580[/sig]
moggie-tom
Minor Fan

Post by moggie-tom »

Well there is nothing stopping us younger members arranging a meet of our own, at somewhere 'interesting' to us. Although I feel it would seem a little unfair to the older memebers. If there was an event that was just for over 50s, for example, I'm sure we wouldn't all be too pleased. I believe the MMOC is democratic, so if we came forward with ideas for events at the National I'm sure they would me more than pleased. Although I don't know if it is too late to action ideas for this years National, but say we decided to do 'wreck of the rally' judging all we would have to do is elect a couple of judges and ask who would like to be judged. Perhaps there could be a person within the club to represent young members.

I'm not really sure what goes in to organising a rally but, like I said, I'm sure one could be arranged for younger members. Web Rallies seem to be organised rather quickly so there is nothing stopping one of us saying 'lets meet up at X on the Y of Z' and see who is interested.

I don't disagree with concours either but obvioulsy not everyone can take part so different types of judging would be good in my opinion.

Mittsy '68 2-door
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Interesting point moggy-tom, if you are keen to arrange something for the youngsters there really is no need to put an age restriction on it. Firstly, if your rally has a young theme to it, just make that plain when you advertise it, you aren't preventing people from coming and you arn't being ageist. Remember after advertising the itinerary, people can choose whether it is for them or not. Sidney-61 had a lot of ideas and seemed keen just like yourself, perhaps you could do something together. I'd like to think some of the more mature members would be willing to teach you how to organise something like a rally. You are the future of the club after all.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

GDL
Minor Friendly

Post by GDL »

OK, i am not a member, but have been in another club (not morris). Anyway what i have noticed is there seems to be little organised for South Wales (that i can find)

For example, a club site which i look at shows a list of events coming up along with their entry forms, albeit majority local, along with pictures from previous events etc, etc. not just of their club but other cars on the day. They also seem to do alot of meets/rallies.

I do know that the south wales meet is the 1st Wednesday of every month (somebody correct me if wrong) which i am sure more stuff is discussed, but maybe this should be adviertised or shown on the web to try and encourage people along.

The one thing i do like about this club (website) is the sections for Modified and concours cars, showing that everyone has their own tastes and that needs to be encouraged.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

PSL184 wrote:I don't want this to turn into a bashing of the MMOC. I hope this thread will list constructive improvements that can be read by committee members and hopefully taken on-board. This is, after all, OUR club and there are many younger members who want a bit more from the "club" and "events" than the older members need. I also recognise that some people will be happy with things as they are, in which case, please say so. The driver for this thread is "where will we be in 10 years time". If the club doesn't move with the times I fear it will fade away..... :(
So, pls list what you see as ways to improve and progress whilst maintaining the integrity and broad appeal - over to you all 8)
Sounds good to me Rich as the more the younger members that can be encouraged the better, the hard bit will be getting them to organise an event with an emphasis on their current interests and then the older ones of us can come along and find out what we need to include in our own rallys/events to attract more of the younger members :D
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706