Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Spotted today.

Post by MCYorks »

I'm going to guess 1962 from the clap hands wipers and the Oct 62 tax disc :wink: Probably just had the later indicators fitted for improved visibility. It's a very tidy looking traveller though.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

You've got much better eyesight than this old man has if you can read that tax disc! I agree, it is probably an older car which has been repainted in a later colour :wink:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

An odd combination though: You've blanked the reg number so maybe it is an earlier car painted in a late colour(?) but, on the face of it, I assumed it was a late production model (late colour, late interior mirror and front lights) but then spotted the early clap hands wiper pattern! Mix and match!
One of those 'split personality' Minor 1000's that became the subject of conversation / debate on here a few years back.
So early 1000 in a late colour.
I think it looks good but then I'm not one of those that dislike 'Limeflower' green, though I do understand it's a bit of a marmite colour choice, a bit like the pink Minor Millions...................... :wink:
The electric conversion looks well done but I bet it wasn't cheap to do.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Spotted on programme Highway to the sun White Traveller LOR 196F
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

On antiques road trip aired 4 jan 2016 saw HOC 402 yellow soft top
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:47 am The electric conversion looks well done but I bet it wasn't cheap to do.
I agree it probably wasn't cheap. I'm under the impression that most of the electric conversions are more than the cost of buying a very good standard Minor. Of course you need a good example to start with, as there's no point converting a wreck. Hopefully the conversions will get cheaper eventually. The question is, by how much :-?
I was trying to work out what all the various parts are in the photo. I assume the power electronics are in the box on the battery tray and there's a 12v battery hiding behind the wiper motor. It may have had a lot of money spent on it, but it's still got the good old Lucas Voltage regulator and wiper motor fitted :wink:
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

This today, Drive It Day, in Rawtenstall as I passed whilst on a rally.

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

That is very striking 8) An odd combination though: You've blanked the reg number so maybe it is an earlier car painted in a late colour(?) but, on the face of it, I assumed it was a late production model (late colour, late interior mirror and front lights) but then spotted the early clap hands wiper pattern! Mix and match!
Just looked at my original photo. The reg. no. does not have any suffix or prefix letters so could well be a 'transitional' model.... same as my 4 door.

Just as an aside, a few of us from our local group went out today (Drive-it-Day) and saw loads of other classics - mainly MGs who ended up at the same tea shop as we did!! Oh, and a couple of Ferraris for good measure.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Owlsman wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:56 pm
That is very striking 8) An odd combination though: You've blanked the reg number so maybe it is an earlier car painted in a late colour(?) but, on the face of it, I assumed it was a late production model (late colour, late interior mirror and front lights) but then spotted the early clap hands wiper pattern! Mix and match!
Just looked at my original photo. The reg. no. does not have any suffix or prefix letters so could well be a 'transitional' model.... same as my 4 door.
I'm not sure what your definition of "a transitional model" is? The Morris Minor was produced over many years and there were regular updates to the specification - often annually to coincide with the London Motor Show each October. The "clap hands" wiper arrangement ceased in 1963 and the Limeflower colour was introduced late in 1970 which is why it was only seen on Travellers. Saloon production ending around the same time :wink:
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I was given to understand that the so-called 'transitional' models were from Sept/Oct '62 after the introduction of the 1098cc engine up to late '63/early '64 when all the old parts bins were finally empty and production proceeded with all the new upgrades, including the pivotal/radial style windscreen wipers that continued until production ceased...........but I could be completely wrong.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

There were upgrades/changes in specification quite regularly. Parts bins on the mass production lines certainly didn't contain a supply of parts to last 12months which had to be used up. Don't forget that over 40,000 Minors were built per year at that time!
The 1098cc engine was indeed introduced towards the end of 1962. The later wiper arrangement, lights containing amber flashing indicators, the fresh air heater and passenger door external lock were among the upgrades at the end of 1963. 12months after that, at the end of 1964, we saw the introduction of the heat formed seat and door trim along with the later dashboard arrangement with the black speedo dial, toggle switches and key start and fitment of a passenger side glovebox lid and plastic "safety" steering wheel. As I said earlier, car manufacturers tried to have an improved model range to present at the London Motor Show each year. This being the most important event in the motoring calendar in those days. After those updates, improvements slowed rather as the Minor took a back seat in production and the more modern BMC 1100 was given more importance in the range.
COMMANDER
Minor Fan

Post by COMMANDER »

Yesterday, Drive It Day, while on a jolly, saw two Austin 7s, two Healy 3000s, three Morris 8s, two saloons and one tourer, one MGA, one Austin 10 Clifton tourer and a very nice green Morris Minor Traveller. The latter very local to Dulverton though I had never seen it before. The couple in it said they had only brought it out because their modern would not start!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’m tempted to remark on the parking, — but i won’t.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

COMMANDER wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 am Yesterday, Drive It Day, while on a jolly, saw two Austin 7s, two Healy 3000s, three Morris 8s, two saloons and one tourer, one MGA, one Austin 10 Clifton tourer and a very nice green Morris Minor Traveller. The latter very local to Dulverton though I had never seen it before. The couple in it said they had only brought it out because their modern would not start!
That was a good total! Generally we have taken part in a Drive-it-Day event. This year we had a family commitment for which we needed the capacity of a large modern estate car so no classic car driving for me yesterday I'm afraid. I did expect to see a few classics running around but saw NONE despite covering some distance there and back :( I would have been a beautiful day for it.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Thanks MM for the 'transitional' explanation.

Whilst I've got everyone's attention.......just for the record, what is the form or etiquette on showing registration numbers on this particular thread? Or is there none at all?

I have posted a couple of snaps before but they have either been exhibition vehicles or museum exhibits. I was just conscious that the owner of said lime-green traveller might not be best pleased to see or hear about a photo of his beloved car posted for all the world to see, which some ne'er-do-well could then possibly be able trace and/or 'clone'.
COMMANDER
Minor Fan

Post by COMMANDER »

"I’m tempted to remark on the parking, — but i won’t." So you saw it too!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

:D

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

COMMANDER wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:19 pm "I’m tempted to remark on the parking, — but i won’t." So you saw it too!!
Looking at the fresh chalk marks, the council had painted that around the car..... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That would be a laugh — and then issued a ticket for parking in a reserved bay!!

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Anyone who sees a car on a public road can see its registration mark.