Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sixdogsisback
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Insurance

Post by sixdogsisback »

I have just renewed my Aon policy with Footman James which took over Aon. I see that breakdown cover is no longer with RAC, but AXA Assistance UK Ltd, although there was no mention of this in the renewal schedule. This looks a bit like cheapening down the cover to me. Has anyone had any experience of this breakdown company? Is it time to look for a different insurer perhaps? Is Footman James still good value for money? I would welcome any comments or experiences, although I appreciate this subject has probably been covered in the past.

Cheers, Clive.
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Re: Insurance

Post by 8009STEVE »

AFAIK , my policy still covers full breakdown/recovery for UK and europe with F/J. i might be wrong though. give the a ring to find out
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

FJ insurance still provides full breakdown recovery, the difference is that whereas Aon used the RAC FJ use Axa Assistance. At last weekend's Branch Liaison meeting one of the members present said that someone from their branch had recently experienced the FJ breakdown service and were impressed - it was "very good and very quick". Incidentally a representative from FJ was at the meeting to answer members insurance queries - see report in the 'members only' area.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
sixdogsisback
Minor Friendly

Post by sixdogsisback »

How can I see this report? I have tried to find a link, but failed.

Clive.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Can you see a forum headed "Club Liaison Meeting" in the main index under the 'restoration projects' forum? It's in there, under the thread titled 'responses'.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
sixdogsisback
Minor Friendly

Post by sixdogsisback »

Yes thanks, I have now found the responses and read them.

Thanks, Clive.
britab1967
Minor Fan

Post by britab1967 »

Hi,
I had need to use FJ's breakdown service on the way back from the web rally last spring and they were quick and curteous at getting to us and putting Sky on the flat bed and driving home.
The guy didn't have a clue about Morris mechanics, saying that it must be the motor bearings in the fuel pump that had gone. (The points had given up and I couldn't get it working again on the roadside).
Not had to use it in Europe though although Europe cover is still included.

Brian
Knebworth 2011 National Rally
Sky and Molly

sixdogsisback
Minor Friendly

Post by sixdogsisback »

I had the same problem with points. The RAC guy took the cover off the fuel pump and discovered that one of the two point contacts had come adrift from the spring assembly and it had turned sideways, a common problem I believe. He skillfully manipulated the contact back into position ( with hindsight he could have just flicked it out of the unit altogether, as the other contact would have worked the pump) I drove the car home and he followed me all the way to make sure I got home. I was so pleased with the service that I wrote a commendation letter to the RAC praising him. I bet FJ could not beat that!

Clive.
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

i am with rac but , last time i used them was when the seal failed in my brake cylinder, they said it would be an hour before some one could come and try to fix it so i said there is nothing you can do, they said no they have to. so he came out and told me what i told them then had to wait for 4 hour for a flat bed :evil:
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Thats bad. Most breakdown services won't touch brakes due to potential comebacks and claims should a 'fixed' car go wrong. Normally reporting brake failure is the quickest way onto a flatbed... Last time I had brake failure (about 10 years ago) I was with RAC and was an immediate ride home. Perhaps times have changed now and they don't trust the 'idiot owners' to recognise brake problems...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
lottieisdamned
Minor Friendly

Post by lottieisdamned »

im with Footman James and found them very helpful, particularly with the free included breakdown cover. I had to call for assistance on Monday night when Megan broke down and it was sorted out very quickly, im very pleased. Plus its the cheapest insurance quote i got especially for my age and the fact that ive only been driving since December.
sixdogsisback
Minor Friendly

Post by sixdogsisback »

I would be interested to know what a young driver has to pay. I'm an old driver and I think I'm being ripped off at £115 including breakdown cover. I just forked out £20 to fill petrol cans for the mowers and had the thought that in the 60's, I turned cars down for a tenner because they had a bald tyre. Things have a habit of moving on, not for the better. i think.

Clive.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

As far as insurance premiums are concerned no 2 people have the same driving history, therefore you cannot compare one person's premium with another.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Somehow I have 2 breakdown covers. I hadn't realised until my renewal that breakdown was offered with FJ. And I am already an RAC member which was free for the family with clubcard points. If I breakdown who should I use. AXA or RAC?
Also Clive, my renewal (18 year old, own car with both parents added) was £796 this year. Not too bad compared to modern cars.

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Like you Stephen I am covered under the Club scheme and with the RAC. I used the RAC last time, but I know of many people who have used the FJ insurance breakdown and have found it very good. If you need them I'd ring each and find who is a) nearer and b) who can get to you quicker.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Good point. Last time it took 45 mins for the RAC to arrive. That was the estimated time, we got it running, drove down the road and it broke again so we called them out again. 30 mins arrival time then. From what I;ve read though AXA are quicker. Give them both a challenge next time.. I mean there won't be a next time :lol:

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
linwinn
Minor Friendly

Re: Insurance delay F/J

Post by linwinn »

I have recently changed my policy with Footman James from laid-up to on road, last month. I was told I needed to talk to another department to cancel laid-up policy. I have been trying ever since - sometimes for as long as 20 minutes. It appeared to be value for money, but in retrospect is not, as service so poor. Have sent two emails - no response. I am very concerned about how I would make a claim if this is the standard of service. I have not received any paperwork. I have since looked at a review site and I am not the only one unable to get any response from the company. This is rather worrying. I know that the insurance has been paid as I was able to tax my morris on-line. However if I were to have an accident I have no insurance documents!
linwinn
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hi Lin, welcome to the messageboard. It's not clear whether you are an MMOC member or not but if you are, take a look at the Club Liaison Meeting - Responses thread in the members only area. Procedures are in place to assist members who have any complaints about the service provided by FJ so please contact the Club directly if you have any complaints.

Eric - 1971 Traveller