Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
KeithL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Advice regarding a Traveller rebuild

Post by KeithL »

Hello everyone. I am new to the Forum and my wife and I would like to ask for your help. I hope I have put this discussion in the right messageboard.

My wife and I are looking for a Morris Traveller (Old English White with red interior) that she could use as an everyday car. I appreciate that for a lot of people the fun is buying a 'project' and slowly doing it up over time but right now we do not have the time to do that, and in any event the fun for us is in owning and driving the car rather than restoring it.

Since money is not our primary concern (within reason) we are therefore thinking that a complete rebuild to our specification might be the best way to go. Charles Ware of Bristol would, on the face of it, seem to an obvious choice but from asking around and reading this forum that might not be the case. I have found a company in Manchester (Morris Minor Millenium Company) and reference to Minor Services of Ely, both of whom seem to do rebuilds. Would anyone like to pass comment on any of these companies (by PM if necessary) or suggest any other companies that could do a complete rebuild for us? We would be looking for a quality job as we are intending to keep the car for a long time.

We are based in Worcestershire, and obviously the closer to home the better.

How much should a complete rebuild cost if done properly?

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Keith

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Advice regarding a Traveller rebuild

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the forum! You could try JLH - Jon comes on the board most days and has an excellent reputation. http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/ Good choice with that OEW Traveller idea.........! If you use a Traveller 'every day' you will have to take good care of the woodwork![frame]Image[/frame]
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

I would also recommend JLH and not too far away from you either, based in Southam....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

bmcecosse wrote:Welcome to the forum! You could try JLH - Jon comes on the board most days and has an excellent reputation. http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/ Good choice with that OEW Traveller idea.........! If you use a Traveller 'every day' you will have to take good care of the woodwork![frame]Image[/frame]
Thanks for your advice. I will give them a call.

When I say 'every day' I obviously don't mean when it's raining. The wife will have to walk on those days.

Keith
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So -quite a lot of 'walking' ahead............ Travellers are great cars - very useful, lots of room etc etc. But I have to say - for an 'everyday' car, if it really is expected to be used every day in all weathers - a two door saloon is a better long term prospect.
ImageImage
Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

Check out the Club magazine 'Minor Matters' - lots of adverts from suppliers/restorers. Look them up via t'internet too.

'Everyday travel' - do you mean pottering about or more serious mileage. Standard car OK for pottering, but you may want something with a bit more go if longer trips/motorways involved.

If for the wife, she may want a few comforts too - radio/cd, inertia reel belts, better seats, heated rear windows, better heater. The list is endless but make sure you get a sound car as a base.

Plenty of tips & advice on here as to what to look for when buying (rust spots, soft wood, rattles,etc)

Happy hunting & welcome to the Club
timmo
Minor Fan

Post by timmo »

bmcecosse wrote:So -quite a lot of 'walking' ahead............ Travellers are great cars - very useful, lots of room etc etc. But I have to say - for an 'everyday' car, if it really is expected to be used every day in all weathers - a two door saloon is a better long term prospect.
Or buy both :wink:
ptitterington
Minor Fan

Post by ptitterington »

I say go for it and get a Traveller. If you do as I did and get one from Charles Ware, go see him, pick one out and agree what works you want doing then if possible call in to see it at various stages and have them take pictures. That way you see what you are getting and can pick your colour scheme etc. Of course there are many other restorers who would be happy to help and can give recommendations from members regarding the quality of the work they do.

Dont worry about what people say, the only colour for a Traveller is Maroon. :wink: :wink: :wink: :D
Traveller rebuilt in 2007 by Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre
Pickup Fully restored 2011 by Rich Legg

ImageImage

http://WWW.minor1000.com
http://www.morrisowners.co.uk/
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

It depends on what you want to do, but you can buy a really good Traveller for around the £6,000 mark, which has all the "modern" comforts : inertia belts, modern high backed seats, disc brakes, upgraded heater, heated rear screens, 1275cc engine and better suspension. Many classic car suppliers sell these cars, it is just a matter of hunting around and going to try them to see what suits you. If you go down the route of finding a restoration project and then waiting for it to be restored it will be next year before you can really get the car back (most restorers ask for 6-8 months to do the job)

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Firstly may I thank everyone for their comments. They were very much appreciated and very helpful.

My wife and I have acquired a Traveller which had been beautifully rebuilt by a private individual. It is a 1959 (the year we were both born) and has the trafficators (working) which were both things we wanted but had given up on because we were looking at later 1098cc cars. However, this car has had the later 1098cc engine, gearbox and rear diff fitted (with re-calibrated speedo), and other than halogen headlights with built in side lights is a standard car. The car is Frilford Grey with red/maroon interior rather than the Old English White and red we were looking for but it looks lovely. The paintwork is fantastic and it drives great. We are really pleased and because we did not have to wait 6-9 months for it to be rebuilt we can (and have) take full advantage of this summer to get out and about in it.

Brilliant!!

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well if the photo in you signature is anything to go by it looks really great.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706