Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: JLH

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

I have had to remove this statement as it is alleged to breach the terms and conditions of the website
Incidentally... That is hilarious

*lol*
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Pyoor_Kate wrote:
The club want to bring in younger members and the web is an ideal way of doing this. Sadly the club is run by (and consequently for) the older members who, by and large, don't use the internet or see the forum as the valuable resource which it undoubtedly is.
And therein lies the problem. As long as the club ignores the internet, and by extension the forum; or at least casts it as it's ugly sibling; then the forum will struggle with the club's committee and the rules they set.
That's not entirely correct because after last years AGM it was reported on here.
The website was praised for helping to maintain the club as a viable organisation.
So the board is not being ignored as a resource to the membership and I believe that last year more new members joined via the website than the more traditional way.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

mike.perry wrote: However T&Cs prevent these people from passing on their knowledge, should they so wish, to the rest of us. How much easier would it be if the person who actually rebuilds gearboxes or modifies Minors or supplies certain parts could answer questions raised on the website. Instead we have the tortuous route where someone answers the question by naming the expert and supplying the contact details
The T&C's don't prevent 'traders' from passsing on their knowledge or answering questions, as can be seen by the numerous posts here by Jonathon and the other 'traders' who are registered here. They do however prevent trade advertising, which is a different matter. However if a member posted asking, for example, where to buy a specific part, there is nothing to stop a trader contacting them by pm to advise that they supply it and providing details. It's hardly a "tortuous route". With regards to a traders page with paid adverts, as per previous responses in the members area it is being looked into.

And with regards to the Club 'ignoring' the forum, we have now been recognised as a 'Branch', ideas & suggestions posted here have been put forward to the Committee and responses have been received (see members area).

Eric - 1971 Traveller
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

And with regards to the Club 'ignoring' the forum, we have now been recognised as a 'Branch', ideas & suggestions posted here have been put forward to the Committee and responses have been received (see members area).
Well as a sugestion can I put it to the comitee to reinstate Johnathon!
I'll see you on the otherside'!
RobMoore
Minor Addict

Post by RobMoore »

I think there is a definate need to revist the Ts&Cs of this forum.

AFAIK this forum is primarily for MMOC members and Non members who own Moggies or are interested in them. "Promoting the Preservation and Use of the Postwar Morris Minor"
To this end I think our needs should be met above and beyond that of any trader - we should be able to state "The steel wing panel I got from (named supplier, yes I do mean named) was of a poor standard and did not fit my car".
If traders do not like it then they thats plain tough, the solution is not to over zealously censor forum members with draconic Ts&Cs, the solution is for suppliers to meet the standards we both require and deserve for our hard earned cash.
It is laughable how traders "feelings" are so important to some, frankly I don't give damn about traders feelings if they are providing me with rubbish goods. I do care about getting a good service from the likes of ESM.
Traders need to work and earn a reputation and it is not right to have stuff brushed under the carpet and hidden so other fall foul and get the shame shoddiness.
When traders are providing shoddy goods or shoddy workmanship then they should be identified, providing nothing slanderous is used offending traders have no leg to stand on from a legal perspective. Speaking the truth is not a crime nor is it slander.
.. slander ... may be divided into five classes, as follows: (1.) Words falsely spoken of a person which impute to the party the commission of some criminal offence involving moral turpitude, for which the party, if the charge is true, may be indicted and punished. (2.) Words falsely spoken of a person which impute that the party is infected with some contagious disease, where, if the charge is true, it would exclude the party from society; or (3.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a person, which impute to the party unfitness to perform the duties of an office or employment of profit, or the want of integrity in the discharge of the duties of such an office or employment. (4.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a party which prejudice such party in his or her profession or trade. (5.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a person, which, though not in themselves actionable, occasion the party special damage.

"Certain words, all admit, are in themselves actionable, because the natural consequence of what they impute to the party is damage, as if they import a charge that the party has been guilty of a criminal offence involving moral turpitude, or that the party is infected with a contagious distemper, or if they are prejudicial in a pecuniary sense to a person in office or to a person engaged as a livelihood in a profession or trade; but in all other cases the party who brings an action for words must show the damage he or she has suffered by the false speaking of the other party."
Other trade sectors do it.
Moggieless :(

Another great Moggy orientated Forum.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Well the problem is that there will always be people who might wish to post up incorrect information for a variety of reasons such as they've had a falling out with a trader, are a rival trader, or just wish to cause some mischief for the sake of it. There would be no way of knowing what the true position was without further investigation but by then someone's business or reputation may well have suffered. And don't forget that the problem may lie with the manufacturer of the part rather than the supplier. Unfortunately a lot of people would rather pay for cheaper products and this does have a knock on effect on quality. As has been said here on many occasions, if a member is unhappy with the service they receive by a trader they should contact the trader themeselves in the first instance. Invariably, as posts here have shown, a refund or replacement will be offered. If the matter can not be resolved obviously there are a number of options available to an individual but any complaints about traders should also be sent to Ray Newell so that the Club is made aware of them.

Obviously there is no problem with any member asking for advice on parts quality etc - we have had many posts of this nature - and other members can make recommendations.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

leyther8008 wrote:
Well as a sugestion can I put it to the comitee to reinstate Johnathon!
Of course you can that's what the members area is for.
RobMoore wrote:
It is laughable how traders "feelings" are so important to some, frankly I don't give damn about traders feelings if they are providing me with rubbish goods. I do care about getting a good service from the likes of ESM.
Rob can you tell me how many times you have bought things from a Morris Minor Trader that were faulty and were not replaced by the trader, no names wanted just the number of times you personally had problems and with what parts.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

So members only suggestions are considered? Well please do it (Membership number 63698) and acknowledge the fact on here! otherwise how do we know if its happening?
As everytime I go into the members area it tells me 'You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.even though I'm a paid up card holding member.
heathy12
Minor Fan

Post by heathy12 »

leyther8008 wrote:So members only suggestions are considered? Well please do it (Membership number 63698) and acknowledge the fact on here! otherwise how do we know if its happening?
As everytime I go into the members area it tells me 'You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.even though I'm a paid up card holding member.
Same problem with members only section, I guess that should read (comitee only!) and I second that man.

Lets start a poll to get JLH back on and a re-vamp on the forum Terms and conditions as I for one am entirely fed up of things like this happening within MY club. This is a ridiculous situation and things need to be changed. If the mods are behind us (As its them enforcing them on us all) then action will take place, if not then I think we all know where we stand.
JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

leyther8008 wrote:So members only suggestions are considered? Well please do it (Membership number 63698) and acknowledge the fact on here! otherwise how do we know if its happening?
On dear
You asked to put a question to the committee and the way for it to be passed on is in the members section, thats one of the reasons it was created.
Same problem with members only section, I guess that should read (comitee only!) and I second that man.
No it should read follow the instructions correctly.

In the Members Area bar it says Confirm your membership here if you enter your details and the current username and password from Minor Matters you will get straight in.
I have just checked it and it works fine.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

I havn't recieved the current issue of Minor Matters so I cant get in currently as last issues passwords have been superceded (and I find it insulting that you question my abilities to read the instructions correctly in a public forum).
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

leyther8008 wrote:I havn't recieved the current issue of Minor Matters so I cant get in currently as last issues passwords have been superceded (and I find it insulting that you question my abilities to read the instructions correctly in a public forum).
Right then as soon as the current issue arrives all will be fine.

As for the second remark you have made I suggest you withdraw it as my comment was made after the post below (please see my previous post)
Which was posted by Healthy12 which suggests that only committee members have access to the area.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

Nope will not withdraw my complaint as it's under a box with a quote from my post! so obviously aimed at me.
Have obtained codes now and suggestion entered.
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

I have the feeling that on this and other threads http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33450 we are banging our heads against a brick wall
RobMoore
Minor Addict

Post by RobMoore »

RobMoore wrote:
Rob can you tell me how many times you have bought things from a Morris Minor Trader that were faulty and were not replaced by the trader, no names wanted just the number of times you personally had problems and with what parts.[/quote]

Hi Kevin,
I am very new to the morris scene and as a result have only had a few dealings with traders both of which have been faultless ty ESM :)
Be certain of one thing though Kevin, IF and I imagine I will at some point have issues with a trader I will seek resolution with them in the first instance giving them an acceptable time period to resolve. I would have no issue with naming them publicly should they not resolve however but I will give them fair opportunity to do so.
Moggieless :(

Another great Moggy orientated Forum.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

leyther8008 wrote:Nope will not withdraw my complaint as it's under a box with a quote from my post! so obviously aimed at me.
Have obtained codes now and suggestion entered.
Ok fair enough
But I am puzzled at you taking umbridge over remarks made by another at me which is quite clear as you didnt post the comment in the first place.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

on the subject of the members area, i entered the password from the march issue, and i will still able to access the members area until the first of july. my understanding was that the password lasted the 2 months that the current issue of matter covered. had i have been a member who had not renewed i would have been able to access the members area without the right authority. mind you i doubt if i would have bothered going on there- it is boring, just like the club.

wanting to gain extra YOUNGER members i seriously suggest you consider revision of club policies, including perhaps the 1984 "big brother is watching you" attitude from the moderators- i think that maybe this puts younger members off- it does me. i am only in the club because of advice, which i can actually get on here more comprehensively, and the insurance scheme which i have yet to take advantage of. i didn't go to the national because of the distance from me, but from opinions of others, on here and also fellow minor friends, it is similar to a village fete- again, i presume because it is organised by older people, and has little in way of young input- and this is perhaps one reason why the minor club is not as popular with younger members as volkwagen or mini owners clubs

this really appeared to be a bad move on behalf of the staff on this site- it has caused them no end of hassle. perhaps a step to far in policing this forum?

now to see how much of my original post is removed by the "ministry of truth" by this time tomorrow
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

RobMoore wrote:
RobMoore wrote:
Rob can you tell me how many times you have bought things from a Morris Minor Trader that were faulty and were not replaced by the trader, no names wanted just the number of times you personally had problems and with what parts.
Hi Kevin,
I am very new to the morris scene and as a result have only had a few dealings with traders both of which have been faultless ty ESM :)
Be certain of one thing though Kevin, IF and I imagine I will at some point have issues with a trader I will seek resolution with them in the first instance giving them an acceptable time period to resolve. I would have no issue with naming them publicly should they not resolve however but I will give them fair opportunity to do so.[/quote]

Right so you have not had any problems Rob that's good news to here as your post gives the impression that you had recieved good service from one trader but not from others, at least that's cleared up and you havent any issues to report.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

marcusthemoose wrote:on the subject of the members area, i entered the password from the march issue, and i will still able to access the members area until the first of july. my understanding was that the password lasted the 2 months that the current issue of matter covered. had i have been a member who had not renewed i would have been able to access the members area without the right authority. mind you i doubt if i would have bothered going on there- it is boring, just like the club.

wanting to gain extra YOUNGER members i seriously suggest you consider revision of club policies, including perhaps the 1984 "big brother is watching you" attitude from the moderators- i think that maybe this puts younger members off- it does me. i am only in the club because of advice, which i can actually get on here more comprehensively, and the insurance scheme which i have yet to take advantage of. i didn't go to the national because of the distance from me, but from opinions of others, on here and also fellow minor friends, it is similar to a village fete- again, i presume because it is organised by older people, and has little in way of young input- and this is perhaps one reason why the minor club is not as popular with younger members as volkwagen or mini owners clubs

this really appeared to be a bad move on behalf of the staff on this site- it has caused them no end of hassle. perhaps a step to far in policing this forum?

now to see how much of my original post is removed by the "ministry of truth" by this time tomorrow
Marcus thanks for the comments that we are staff as I had not looked at it like that especially as we are all unpaid volunteers.

I assume you are a younger member by your remarks (apologies if I am wrong) there have been moves in the past to try and get younger members to add contributions and ideas so events appeal to a wider audience but as soon as you try to get to get the ideas and assistance to move thing along they nearly always have something better to do and fade away.
If you want to get a group together and put some practical ideas I am sure you would be listened to, because from my point of view I dont see things in the same perspective as the younger members, mind you I wish I could :D
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706