search for 1961 2 door - RVL 255

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
scotty57
MMOC Member: No

search for 1961 2 door - RVL 255

Post by scotty57 »

I hope someone out there in Morris Minor land can help me. My father owned this car in the early 1960's and sold it in Lincoln in 1976 when he bought a new Allegro (well, someone had to !). I'd like to know where it is and if available buy it, and restore it if necessary. DVLC have not been very helpful, they say it was last registered in 1984. I asked if they would forward a letter to the current registered keeper but declined to do so. I asked about f the reg number was availalbe and they said no so I'm assuming it's off the road somewhere.

I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any info on the car or how I can contact the current owner ??
Dean
Minor Legend

Re: search for 1961 2 door - RVL 255

Post by Dean »

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 88#p328773

See the topic above for a very similar discussion. A V888 form requests current owner details, but I think they will only send you the info if you were a registered keeper at some point. You also need a valid reason for wanting to know who the current owner is. Not sure I've been any help, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility it has been garaged and left somewhere, it is likely though to have been scrapped.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

scotty57

Post by scotty57 »

Thanks Dean, I'll give the V888 a go. If anyone does come across the car, or have owned it, please get in touch as I'm serious about restoring it no matter what the condition.
scotty57

Post by scotty57 »

I tried the v888 form as Dean suggested but the reply was my reasons were not good enough for them to help me so I'm back to square 1. Any other suggestions ?
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

This is what shows on the DVLA database. I have tried the V888 with the same result.

Date of Liability 01 05 1984
Date of First Registration 01 04 1961
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder capacity (cc) 948cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

I live in Lincoln and it's not a registration I recall seeing around. Given the date of last tax it is either sitting in a barn/garage rusting in peace/waiting to be restored or has already made the fateful journey to the great scrapyard in the sky :cry:

scotty57

Post by scotty57 »

That's the conclusions I came to Bruce but if it had been scrapped then I would have thought the reg number would be available to buy but it's not. I tried tracing the owners after my dad sold it in 1975 but the trail went cold at the end of the 70's. I even put a 'where is it now' photo in Practical Classics last year but with no joy. I shall keep trying though, just wish DVLA would be a bit more helpful.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

You have got about as far as I did in my search for my first car. DVLA can only help if there is a reason to divulge the current owners information - such as a hit and run, accident etc. I'm not sure you can read too much into the fact that the number isn't available. I'm not an expert but unless the number was transferred to another vehicle, once the car is scrapped the number is not issued again.

When I was asking for help to find my old car, a fellow forum member explained how to get some additional info via e-bay. I have tried this and it shows the car as having 2 owners so it would seem that if you could trace the people the car was sold to, they would be able to tell you what happened to it. Good luck :wink:

scotty57

Post by scotty57 »

Hello everyone - still searching but beginning to think I'll never find it.
scotty57

Post by scotty57 »

Hello again,
Still not found the old family car or the registration. If the reg is not available I think the car is sat in a field or garden or in a scrapyard where it has not been officially scrapped - or am I clutching at straws?

Just for info, my current classics are a 1972 MGB, 1969 Mk2 Cortina 1600e and a 1973 NSU Ro80.

Keep safe everyone
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
'Brucek' is correct, in that when a car is scrapped the registration ceases to exist and is no longer available to anyone. I asked about the registration of our family Triumph Herald, written off by the next owners about a week after purchase from my father and got this answer from the DVLA.
However it is still on the DVLA website, so must surely still exist somewhere, the hope for you is that it is not just on paper.
I understand the need for data protection in this day and age but it does seem a shame that the DVLA can't be a little more flexible (human?) in matters like this, they could have at least have forwarded your letter.
It seems that since they closed their branches and went computerised they have become a vague faceless organisation and can sometimes be downright obstructive (unreasonably so).
I for one would like to see the restoration of local offices and with them a certain degree of helpfulness and flexibility.
(One can but dream......)
Good luck in your search, if you can narrow it down to the area (county) the car was last registered in that may be a start.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The chances of this car being anywhere are 1,000,000s to 1.
The simple fact is that until quite recently, the scrapping of vehicles was uncontrolled. People were supposed to deregister a car when scrapped, but a great many didn't. They took it to the Breakers, got a few Notes in cash and it was never seen again. Country Reg Offices and then subsequently the DVLA never enquired after these vehicles, they simply kept them on the records as untaxed/MOT'd.

I know that my SII Minor has donor parts from a much later car which is still on the DVLA database and was last taxed only a couple of years before Basil was rebuilt. I know this because both Drop Glass in the doors were etched with the other cars Reg number, as was only 1 of the 1/4 lights.

If a car was correctly de-registered, then the details are simply archived; never reissued.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:00 am Hi,

However it is still on the DVLA website, so must surely still exist somewhere, the hope for you is that it is not just on paper.

Best wishes,
Mike.
The DVLA have, in part, created this situation themselves. To quote from the V5C: "If you have broken up the vehicle yourself, you must either tax it or tell us you are keeping it off the public road by making a SORN......." There doesn't now seem to be any obvious way of letting the DVLA know that you have dismantled a car which you own?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:50 pm

The DVLA have, in part, created this situation themselves. To quote from the V5C: "If you have broken up the vehicle yourself, you must either tax it or tell us you are keeping it off the public road by making a SORN......." There doesn't now seem to be any obvious way of letting the DVLA know that you have dismantled a car which you own?
Well the statement on the V5C actually concludes '...SORN, until you take it to an ATF or tell us you no longer have it.'

It then finishes with the website link : https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles

It is actually illegal to scrap a vehicle anywhere other than an ATF (authorised treatment facility, or a Breakers in other words).

So I agree someone who completely breaks a car for spares at home would probably have trouble deregistering. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

scotty57

Post by scotty57 »

I've come to the conclusion the car is long gone and having attended a show near Gainsborough a couple of weeks ago where there were a good selection of Minors I've decided to buy one. Either a saloon or traveller, 1960's vintage but not a project as I have 2 other classic cars. Not too messed around with but sensible upgrages are ok. Now where to look..............