EXPORTING your Morris Minor...anyone done it??

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
heathy12
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

EXPORTING your Morris Minor...anyone done it??

Post by heathy12 »

Has anyone on here exported their Minors to warmer climates??? Nez Zealand in particular.

Ive started looking into moving a couple of my fleet down under seeing if its viable to do over purchasing whilst away.

I know that customs will be pretty strict on Mud, grime and insects etc when arriving into the country but has anyone any recent shipping costs, experiences etc for the process?? My initial thought would be to load into a container and secure.
JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: EXPORTING your Morris Minor...anyone done it??

Post by ASL642 »

PM "Swithland" He exported Daisy over to Hong Kong just before Christmas.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Had to deliver a container to a removal co. a couple of years ago. It had come fron NZ. All contents from the house and
54 Focus
52 Golf
Both cars had quarantine stickers on them, not allowed in.

Suggest you contact NZ house and ask.
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

Do a Google search for " importing cars into nz " or similar. There is lots of info. This link -
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html would be a good place to start.
It must be possible, there are English assembled Minors here, I have one in the garage.
To check the local market have a look at http://www.trademe.co.nz/ .

swithland
Minor Fan

Post by swithland »

Hi, I shipped my Moggie from the UK to Hong Kong. You have 2 options :

(1) RORO
(2) Container Shipment

Option (1) is Roll On Roll Off. Thats the cheapest. I was quoted about 800 quid from Southampton to Hong Kong. Option (2) is ship by 20' container which was a few hundred quid more expensive.

Now when you actually work out which option is cheaper, you need to consider how you are going to get your car down to Southampton. In my case, I loaded the car in Nottingham into the container, and off it went to Southampton. It actually worked out cheaper for me to go by container.

Also, container shipment guarantees the car wont get pranged on the way.

I had HUGE problems getting the car registered for use on the roads of Hong Kong. They Government made it almost impossible as they judged the registration requirements against a modern day car. I dont know what its like in NZ, but I can say without any shadow of doubt that I would not do it again. It really was such an incredible stress.

In fact, ive heard of many that are buying Moggies from NZ and Australia shipping back to the UK !!

So my word of advice would be......dont ship a car.

In my case, I had no choice as there were only two more moggies in Hong Kong and they were not convertibles.

Good luck if you go for it !!

Charles
Daisy's first drive in Hong Kong. 6th December 2010 a great day out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGN5K1Iik9A