Specification of NEW parts

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

Buying a NEW radiator would you want it to have the drain plug for originality and ease of service?

Poll ended at Mon May 17, 2004 10:48 am

YES, and prepared to pay an extra £9 for it.
54%
NO.
46%

Total votes: 13

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Specification of NEW parts

Post by simmitc »

I've noticed that a lot of newly manufactured parts do not match the spec of the originals. For example, radiators without drain plugs. The excuse is that the plug would add £9 to the cost, but if you're already forking out for a new one, would that make any difference? I'd rather pay a little bit extra for both originality and ease of service. What about others? There is no commercial interest in this post, it's just for my interest.
rayofleamington
MMOC Member: No

Post by rayofleamington »

I don't use the radiator drain plug...

But for other parts - original is the only way. There was a trend to cut cost with things like handbrake cables with no grease nipple, propshaft UJ's with no grease nipple, chrome that was pitted after 12 months etc...
A lot of this came about as the suppliers were competing between each other for business and people would phone around to get the lowest price. That trend seems to have changed as a lot of people now suffer with these low quality parts, therefore many people now look around for good quality instead of cheapest price.

Some suppliers now offer a choice - cheap parts or good parts. This way they cater for both sets of customers.
Cam

Post by Cam »

I don't use the radiator drain plug...
Me neither, I just pull the bottom radiator hose off.

If you have a concours car then yes, I would buy one with a drain plug, but a scruffy/personalised daily driver I would not bother with one.

To have the choice of the two would be nice though!
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

You can have cheap, quality, or quick.
If it's cheap and quality, it won't be quick
If it's cheap and quick, it won't be quality
If it's quality and quick, it's not going to be cheap

If it's supposed to be all three.... don't pay until you've seen the finished result and probably spoken to trading standards! :lol:

Never mind the plug - what about the little brass tap at the base of the radiator... where did that go to??
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

If originality is an owners desire then I suppose the extra £9 may be worthwhile for them. But £9 seems a bit too much for a 75p plug/valve!
The radiator on my Traveller does has a drain cock a doodle diddley but it needs a spare half day before the water empties out. I can pee faster :o
Last edited by 57traveller on Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Why did "a doodle diddley" replace "fitted?" :evil: :( "pee is naughtier than that!!! Or the one after drain! Of course I could delete a bit and my Traveller would have a dooldle diddley then. Or is it the word after drain that's causing offence to the system? A male bird or valve with a handle :-? :roll:
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

stop cock a doodle diddley ?

nah - it wasn't 'fitted' that it objected to ;-)
Last edited by rayofleamington on Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

I believe you mean a drain 'plug' or 'tap'... I can't think why it has an aversion to the type of valve to which you refer... :lol: :roll:
We're so nicely behaved most of the time, I reckon the profanity-filter does things like that just to show it's still there... hehehe
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Well fitted has been removed and cock a doodle diddley remains. A mystery. But it looks like the male bird is the offending word and hasn't been filtered out. :-?
Not to worry, I think it's quite funny. :)

And it's a brave person who tries to remove the plug if it's not been touched for some time.
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

cock a doodle diddley a doodle diddley ?
I didn't know Ned Flanders had joined the board? :lol:

Oakily Dokily ! My drain plug still works as it should.... :wink:
twinkle
Minor Friendly

Post by twinkle »

To keep the old girl as original as possible I had her rad re-cord,Thus keeping all the Rad as was, But must admit its a devil when you have to pay for something now that came as standard when the car was new ( DRAIN PLUG or TAP) -A sign of the times we live in -me thinks. Bill & Twinkle the Traveller . :(
Theo
Minor Friendly

Post by Theo »

got the tap for free (used, had to screw it out myself) when i bought some other spares 8)
[img]http://members.chello.nl/~t.vandevelde1/Morris_2004_3a.jpg[/img]
[url]http://morris.thecodemaster.net[/url]
nick_h
Minor Friendly

Post by nick_h »

Never mind the plug - what about the little brass tap at the base of the radiator... where did that go to??
Gareth, You have to have a CLASSIC Minor to get one of those. In fact you get two - one on the engine block too. I've recently unseized mine. It's so good that I keep playing with it to make sure it's still working! Must stop now the anti-freeze is in.

Nick
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The little brass winged drain tap is what this is all about. It has a proper spout, and if you put a plastic / rubber tube on it, then you can drain the radiator, including that precious anti-freeze into a container for either re-use or disposal. Clean and simple, better than the later plastic screw-in bung, and much much better than removing the bottom hose and making a mess all over everywhere. Particularly useful if removing & refitting the head. I suppose a similar poll could be run on the drain plug that has disappeared from new petrol tanks....
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

sorry, error.
Last edited by 57traveller on Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cam

Post by Cam »

exactly