Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
John C
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor Matters

Post by John C »

Just thought I'd say that I've just read the new issue of MM and really hate the 'holier than thou' comments by that bloke about modified Minors. I loathe that, 'I used to modify my car but I've seen the light' attitude.

If cars weren't meant to be modified, God wouldn't have invented the hackaw.

JC (582)

chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Minor Matters

Post by chrisryder »

i couldn't agree with you more.
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Dito it really annoyed me to. Although that in a way seems to be the minor matters attitude towards modifying. Even the comment about the orange 4x4 thing at the end annoyed me, as if in this country we don't already have at least 2 others..
That article would have been just as interesting and less rude if it was about the period parts and accessories available.
___Anne___

John C
Minor Friendly

Post by John C »

I agree 100% - fitting an accessory in 1957 or fitting one in 2007... It's the same deal, just the accessory that's changed. His whole tone is just so unnecessarily rude; 'Fiat engine an affront', 'external sun visors monstrous'... he might not like modifcations (any more) but he doesn't need to be so pompous because his Minoring is different - not better, not worse just different - to mine. I'm staggered by his self-assured arrogance.

JC

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

he's like a born again christian, but worse!

it wouldn't be quite so bad if he's held that opinion his whole life, there's plenty of people out there that think cars should stay standard.

the fact that he's had a change of heart and now feels possessed to enforce that view on everyone else. the type of things he disapproves of so much are the things he himself has done!

he literally is his own worst enemy!
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

was thinking about it more this morning,

i just remembered that he mentioned people effectively turning their minor into a marina by putting all marina running gear in. he said something along the lines of 'if you want a car that performs like a modern car, get a modern car'. he seems to be missing the point of minors. the reasons i dont have a modern car are numerous, as are the reasons to have a minor. also, any old fool can buy a car that already performs and handles well, it's very rewarding to take something and make it better. it may not be cost effective, but it's a learning experience, and personally it's providing me with a hands on way of putting what i'm learning at university, into practise.

modifying is also a way of expressing yourself. I know a minor is a bit different to what most other motorists are driving around in, but we all like to be a bit different, especially at shows like the national. it's boring to have a field full of standard cars, the only real conversation you can have is 'oooh, his screen wash bottle is in the wrong place!' I spend the same amount of time walking around all of the standard minors, as i spend looking at each of the modified ones.

how long before this thread gets locked?
John C
Minor Friendly

Post by John C »

I agree, I like standard Minors AND modified ones. I don't want a Marina TC (if I could find one) although I enjoyed my time with a Marina van I had years ago. I also enjoyed my time with a Marina-axled, disc-braked, 1275cc two-door a few years back.
I'm in another club for another model of car and it is far more welcoming to modified examples...
What annoys me here is that bloke is so rude about modifications - even radiator grille badges!
I have emailed Minor Matters.
Am in the workshop today fitting JLH disc kit to my Pick-up. JC

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Well, its a personal opinion which everyone is entitled to. I suspect it'll keep Minor Matters going in follow on letters for a while! (which probably hasn't escaped the editor - nothing like a bit of healthy debate).

Personally, I'm there on both views, I can spot a non standard bolt head with the best (worst?) of the anoraks, but my own S2 convertible has more mods than you can count. I try and keep it periodish, but think spotlights, badge bar period bootrack etc all add to the charm of the car.
I share his views on headlamp peaks though...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
John C
Minor Friendly

Post by John C »

Fair enough Iain but he could use language that is slightly more respectful to others within the same club... A Fiat engine isn't an affront and a sun visor isn't a monstrosity. JC

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I could understand his attitude if he'd always disliked modifications - many purists out there like the Minor as it came off out of the factory - but he had a modified Minor to start with. Rather a strange article I think.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
PGH
Minor Friendly

Post by PGH »

The writer claims to be a Professor. These guys are often said to live in a world of their own (nutty professor and all that) and I suspect that they can be totally oblivious to the fact that people may be offended by their remarks. On the other hand perhaps he is a genuinely nice chap and wrote his article 'tongue in cheek' knowing that his comments would attract attention and result in lively debate. If so, he has clearly achieved his aim.
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

People are entitled to write what they like. Minor matters are the ones who shouldn't have published this article, or edited it suitably.
___Anne___

DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

I like that fact that there the 'fresh out of the factory' minors and the ones that are out of this world ( like the 4x4 one). if there was only standard minors I imagine there would only be half as many that there are and there would be a much lesser 'fan club'. i don't like some modifications, but wouldn't the world be boring if we were all the same. most of the things he doesn't like are actually accessory's ( headlamp peaks, sun visor, grill badges etc....) . I don't really like the headlamp peaks but I think that the sun visors look good on split screens.

I don't agree with his views, but some might, so really each to their own.............

Chris
Last edited by DaisyMayFozz on Sat May 07, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

Are those Radials on there? And has he also fitted the Desmo after market mirrors that are like looking into a postage stamp at arms length? Anybody daft enough to change their point of view because others don't like it is more to be pitied than blamed....
He perhaps should have kept a lot of those thoughts in his head.
[sig]6530[/sig]
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Glad I kept mine the way it is meant to be
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Minor's suit all kinds of people in all walks of life with all kinds of opinions, open and closed minds...
Always have and always will.

Surely the comments on this thread should show the kind of support modifiers have in the club - My skin is thick enough to not worry about a new born purist. Rather like a born again Christian he's got passion and motivation for his new way of looking at life and isn't scared to take a stand... albeit with a less worthy cause.

Standard and modified cars - God has love for them all.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

rayofleamington wrote:Standard and modified cars - God has love for them all.
Amen to that, brother! :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

You cant please everybody all of the time :) i like customs and standard cars and grew up with them in the 70,s and admire the skill and creativity that goes into them .I have an inkling to put a cossie in a stripped traveller for santa pod but never get round to it but maybe next year :D
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Alex'n'Ane wrote: Minor matters are the ones who shouldn't have published this article, or edited it suitably.
When you read the article in it’s entirety it’s clear that the author dislikes anything which - in his personal opinion - spoils the period charm and aesthetics of the Minor. He’s not against period performance modifications like a Shorrocks super charger, feels that discs from a Marina or Ital are acceptable if ‘discreetly incorporated’, has a period rear window heater but dislikes other after market accessories which in his view spoil the look of the Minor. He asks a number of rhetorical questions which seem designed to generate debate amongst Minor owners but I don’t consider the article to be “anti-modification” as such. It’s just someone stating their own Minor related likes and dislikes. People may not agree with him, and not like his choice of words, but I don’t feel that these are grounds for not publishing the article.

The author doesn't actually state anywhere within the article that he has ever modified a Minor himself, only that he once used to own a modified Minor and now has a standard Minor, which he prefers. It’s not unusual for peoples tastes to change over the years - it’s hardly a crime is it? And as someone has already pointed out, most of the things that the author expresses a dislike for - headlamp peaks, external sun visors, grille badges, spotlights, reversing lights, tow bars - are accessories not modifications. The author might well consider my Minor - with roof rack, wind deflector, tow bar and grille badges - to be a 'hideous abomination' but I’m not going to feel offended or insulted or get angry about it. At the end of the day, people are entitled to their opinions so each to their own.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

I have the entire article thank you. As i said i just don't think minor matters should be publishing articles which will anger some people and create such a split opinion within the minor world. Even if not specifically stated the tone of the article is anti modification and i feel the 1st post on this thread explains that well. Period modifications are not always realistic and not ideal for what people are looking to achieve. For example the newer ford discs kits are better than marina ones and would be more sensible for someone to fit if doing this conversion now for a number of reasons such as future parts supply.
LouiseM wrote:"I don’t consider the article to be “anti-modification as such. It’s just someone stating their own Minor related likes and dislikes. People may not agree with him, and not like his choice of words, but I don’t feel that these are grounds for not publishing the article." "At the end of the day, people are entitled to their opinions so each to their own."
People are entitled to their own opinion and views, and although not directly stated, surely the articles selected to be published in minor matters reflect the views and opinions of the club.
___Anne___