Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peteatreat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

1953 Series 2 for sale on ebay

Post by peteatreat »

Hi
I have been without a Minor for a few years and think it is about time to purchase another.
A series 2 is on a classified ad on ebay ref 270697772610 which looks quite tidy. However, before I make contact with the trader, I wonder if I could have some advice/views on this vehicle based on the photos and description. Plus anyone who has any prior knowledge of the car. I am a little concerned as to why there is over 12000 views but it has not sold yet! Is it too expensive? Is it not quite right?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
In addition, if anyone knows of a good 'cheesgrater' for sale within approx 100 miles of Cambridge, please let me know.
Thanks.
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1953 Series 2 for sale on ebay

Post by Dean »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/270697772610?ru=h ... 3D1&_rdc=1

There could be a multitude of reasons why the car hasn't sold. The car from the pictures looks nice and probably worth the money, but you would need to take a look at it to satisfy yourself their description is an accurate account of the car. It's been upgraded to 950 from 803, therefore it doesn't have the 803 gear stick and original Morris diff. Not that that should attract a lesser premium but if watchers wanted originality then perhaps it wasn't for them.

Cars usually remain on the market through no fault of their own... it's just waiting for the right person to come along and that person just might be you. :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

peteatreat
Minor Friendly

Post by peteatreat »

Thank you Dean for your reply.
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

peteatreat wrote:Hi
I have been without a Minor for a few years and think it is about time to purchase another.
A series 2 is on a classified ad on ebay ref 270697772610 which looks quite tidy. However, before I make contact with the trader, I wonder if I could have some advice/views on this vehicle based on the photos and description. Plus anyone who has any prior knowledge of the car. I am a little concerned as to why there is over 12000 views but it has not sold yet! Is it too expensive? Is it not quite right?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
In addition, if anyone knows of a good 'cheesgrater' for sale within approx 100 miles of Cambridge, please let me know.
Thanks.
The engine and gearbox may have been changed but that is no proof that the rear axle ratio was changed. If it was not then the car will accelerate well but the engine will soon be screaming with a final drive ratio of 5.375:1. I also notice that a later signal switch has been added to the steering column. It may be a nice old car but a "virgin" it ain't!
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Looks nice, and probably a fair price for a dealer. the original seats are lovely and the underside looks as described with no visible repairs. The 948cc conversion most people would regard as a bonus as it makes them much more drivable. It looks like it still has its original Series MM type axle, hubs and wheels (smaller hubcaps) which is right for a '53 car, so not too easy to upgrade brakes or diff, but then it'll be fine as it is.
Only things I'd want to do with it would be to reinstate an original cream speedo and respray the dash board panels a more correct shade of bronze/gold but thats very 'minor' stuff that shouldn't put you off a nice car. I'd also probably revert back to the underdash type indicator switch and loose the later column stalk and look out for a Series 2 type airfilter rather than the Mini one but thats just personal taste really as would be my preferance for early type 3 1/2" high lettered number plates rather than the later ones it has now.

Nothing major really, If the car is as sound as it looks, it seems a good buy with scope for bits of improvement or tinkering shoudl you feel that way inclined. If not enjoy as it is...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

My guess as to why it hasn't sold is that it is very scruffy, much scruffier than the pictures suggest. Normal price from a dealer, but around £1,000 more than a private sale. At that price I imagine people would expect the car to be in better cosmetic order or very original. I agree that the (dealers) price is reasonable if the car is structurally and mechanically good, but it would need careful and expert inspection to verify.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
peteatreat
Minor Friendly

Post by peteatreat »

Thank you all very much for your constructive comments. They are a great help to me. Based on the information you have all supplied, I will give this one a miss. Cheers. Pete.
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

Hi,

I bought this car.

Yes it is scruffy, but it is very solid and looks to have been kept off the road and in the dry for a lot of its life.

The engine is sweet with good oil pressure etc.

It needs a full respray and the interior is nowhere near as "nice" as described.

The brakes are scary and seem to slow you down slightly if to press down hard with three feet on the pedal!!

But fear not, I am a genuine car enthusiast and I plan to bring her back to life. I have already booked her in for a full quality respray. I have ordered all of the bits I can find to renew the chrome and rubbers etc (they always look a bit sad when a the paint is refreshed.
I am currently sourcing new brakes all round.

I have a "friendly" trimmer, who will be able to sort out the interior (which is showing its age, but then again I was born in 1953 too and I am beyond restoration!!!)

I have joined the club and plan on being an active member!!

I now just need to make sure that I get her as original as possible, but very much a usable car, I don't want a museum piece.

More posts to follow as things p[rogress (and as I need to ask questions).

Cheers
Steve B

Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Welcome Steve and well done for saving another Minor. I also have an original unrestored Series II and I use it as my daily transport. Although mine still has its 803 engine and gearbox, so life runs at a different pace when I drive it!

I am sure we all look forward to seeing it when it's finished!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Excellent news... well done
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

now back on the road and as fresh as a daisy!!!!

Cream speedo fitted as suggested and the dashboard colour corrected.
Still has the "mini" air filter (just while I prepare the original)
Still has the later indicator stalk, but also now has the trafficators sorted.

See the post in the restored section !!!![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done - looks great.
ImageImage
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

bmcecosse wrote:Well done - looks great.
Thank you.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The original advert says that it was converted from a side valve Series MM but as the bonnet badges were changed there was nothing to prove that. Perhaps if you could send me the chassis number I may be able to identify it.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

mike.perry wrote:The original advert says that it was converted from a side valve Series MM but as the bonnet badges were changed there was nothing to prove that. Perhaps if you could send me the chassis number I may be able to identify it.
Hi,

Thanks, PM sent.

The heritage certificate doesn;t show the original CC, so i have no idea what it came out of the factory with, I am assuming that it must have been a side-valve >>>

Steve B

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Looks very nice :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Lovely! :D
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar