looking for a trustworthy and honest mechanic

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Imelda
MMOC Member: No

looking for a trustworthy and honest mechanic

Post by Imelda »

i am now the proud owner of a morris monor convertible and i am looking for an honest trustworthy mechanic in or near Glasgow to service and repair my car. can anyone help
Imelda
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: looking for a trustworthy and honest mechanic

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the forum - and to the wonderful world of Scottish Minoring..... And no - I am sorry to say, since the tragic death of Graham Harper a few months ago, I can only suggest you do the job yourself. Plenty of advice on here. :)
ImageImage
Imelda

Post by Imelda »

thanks for such a prompt reply but unfortunately that was not the reply i had hoped for. When i look inside a car bonnet i think the engine monster is going to chew me up with its big sharp teeth and spit me out again. I do love my car but i think iwould be cruel to her if i attempted to do it myself. i did contemplate doing one of these college leisure courses on car care/ mechanics but not sure if they are any good. Any other suggestions???
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Hello Imelda, if you lived down here in Kent I would help you out as I now do some mechanical and restoration work on classic cars.

However, if there is no-one nearby to you the best I could suggest is to seek out a local garage that still has an "old boy" type mechanic there. This will likely be a mechanic in his 50's or even early 60's and may even have owned a Morris years ago.

These places are still around, look in the Yellow pages, online and in the local paper. The garage will most likely look a bit of a tip, but if the mechanic is good, don't let this put you off.

Oh, and of course, ask your local branch of the Morris Minor club- someone should know someone!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Imelda

Post by Imelda »

thanks for your reply chicken john.
i have been checking out internet etc but nothing so far. i think its difficult to track down a trusty mechanic unless they are recommended by someone but i will keep looking thanks anyway.
luckily she did just pass her MOT but unfortunately or luckily on the way home form test cut out and i had to get AA . when AA got there she kicked into life again so he couldn't really suggest what went wrong. i managed to get her home but really could be doin with someon to check her over for me. all i've managed to do so far is change spark plugs.
Thanks again anyway
Imelda
GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

Welcome aboard.
Sound like the fuel pump.....if the ticking stops,so will you...
If you cannot find someone local you can always give me a shout(i'm working in Glasgow at the moment and can stop by if you are struggling)

Graeme.
ImageImage