Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Insurance and NCD

Post by Arthurdaily »

Hi, I have an insurance question...

Now, I intend to sell my Rover 25 and go totally Morris, but I have about 7 years no claims discount at the moment, but have been told that classic insurance policies do not have the ability to 'carry through' NCD? Which means even though my insurance will be cheap for the Morris, after two years I'll have no official NCD available to use if I choose to get a 'new' type car... is this the case?

Is there any way around this issue?

The other question is to do with having two Moriss cars... at the moment the Morris is insured as a second car, a classic, but when I get rid of the Rover I'll have to make it my only car on the insurance, I know that will bump up the price a little, but will it still be possible to insure it as a 'classic'?

Thanks!!!
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Re: Insurance and NCD

Post by 8009STEVE »

Try talking to FJ
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

You can't earn or carry a ncb on any classic policy the only way round it would be to insure it through a normal policy with a regular provider, 99% of whom won't insure it due to age..... Just don't get another modern =]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just unsure the Minor with your Rover Insurers... generally, the cheap classic insurance is only available provided you have access to another regular car on a daily basis. But I guess some Cos may be willing to take your car on as the main car.
ImageImage
Quendil
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Quendil »

NFU with insure it with your NCD
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

NFU? Thanks for the tip :0)
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Lancaster are giving me NCB on my classic policy...
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Classic policies don't usually* earn No Claims Discount / Bonus, because of the sums involved. After all, if you are entitled to a 70% NCD and you only pay £100 for your policy, they're not going to make enough money to cover the phone call! :lol:

Most insurers will, however, confirm that you have been 'claim free' for x amount of years under their policy, as a trade-off of the legal requirement to inform your insurers if you are involved in any accident whether you claim or not. When I went the other way from driving Phyllis every day to using a modern car, Direct Line took the claim-free years from my AON policy and applied it directly to my new policy on the understanding that I wouldn't be using the NCD on the classic policy (which I couldn't for the reasons outlined above).

* I know there are exceptions, depending on company and underwriter's policy
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery