Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stig
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

End of an era

Post by Stig »

I'm sad to report the demise of my faithful Traveller after 19 years service. I had a rather nasty crash last week which I was lucky to walk away from, though I expect to still have aches and pains for a while yet. I've decided that I'm not going to get another Minor just yet; though I may get bored with a modern hatchback it will have the advantages of a decent heater and not requiring me to weld it every year or so.

So you won't see me much on the board from now on, apart from offering any spares I've got lying around. There's a great community on here and I'll miss not being a part of it.

Stig
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: End of an era

Post by chrisryder »

very sorry to hear that Stig. Your contributions will not have gone unappreciated.

Hope you make a good recovery, and I'm sure you won't manage to stay Minor-less for long!
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

As long as you are well and not in permanent pain. Hopefully boredom of the hatchback overcomes but all the best in the meantime :)

Steve

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

I hope you do return to Minor owning, I missed out on 9 years when I sold mine and I am so happy to be driving a Minor and meeting all the lovely people who chat to you in the street and the friends in the MMOC and the messageboard. I am sure you will return to us one day :D
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

really really sorry to hear that. Hope you are OK.

what was damaged on the minor? you could always strip the remains, sell the parts and keep the money for another minor in the future?

Have a speedy recovery

Chris

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

have a speedy recovery, and i hope you get another moggy when you feel up to it good luck :D :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sensible solution is probably a Minor for summer use - and a small diesel for the winter. A Minor (or a pre 73 Mini) is probably the cheapest possible transport these days. No Tax, cheap Insurance and no depreciation. Low cost spares too - and easy DIY repairs mostly. But yes - if they get wet, they do need a bit of welding from time to time !
Sorry to hear of crash - what happened??
ImageImage
heathy12
Minor Fan

Post by heathy12 »

Glad to hear your alright, metal can be replaced - Humans cannot.

I know a little innapropriate maybe......but do you have any shots of the Traveller currently...would any big bits be salveagable??
JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Sorry to hear about the car, but glad you survived the incident. Probably best to go with your own instincts regarding ownership of minors. But remember, you don't need to own one to still remain involved with the scene.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

Thanks for all the kind replies. Basically, someone pulled out without looking properly, hit me on the nearside and I ended up in a ditch back on the wheels having rolled. I don't have any photos but it's a bit of a mess, fortunately the main roof stayed intact though one of the rear pillars was broken and pretty much every panel was dented. As I say, I was lucky to walk away (even though I did get a ride in an ambulance). It wasn't a show car by any means as I drove it all year round but still very sad to see it like that. There should be some mechanical bits (good engine, Marina discs etc.), I'll dig out the details of the salvage place.

I'm not saying I won't get another Minor again but for the moment I've got the Sprite for summer so a newish hatchback makes sense for now.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sounds nasty - I doubt you would have been so fortunate if you had been in your Sprite........ Keep in touch !
ImageImage