Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mrmorrisminor
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Toyo or Nangkang.... that is the question

Post by mrmorrisminor »

Hi all, I'm in the market for some tyres for my standard minor rims. I'm currently running old style Nangkangs on the rear, which have lovely rigid walls so no rear end wobbling and the softer Bridgstones the on the front for better grip on my 2 door and she handles lovely....... but they are in need of replacement.

I've experienced Bridgstones on the rear of my 4 door and they are, quite frankly, frightening at speed due to their very flexible walls which allow the rear to wander all over the place, even when inflated to 34 psi. When you pushed the rear of the car you could see it 'wobble' on the tyres.

I've recently gone for newstyle Nangkangs on the rear of the traveller and notice that the walls are not as rigid as the old style, which allows a little rear end wander, reducing the handling a little but they seem to have good grip.....

I long for the firestones I ran for many years but alas no.....

So..... my question is...... are the walls of the Toyos any less flexible than the Nangkangs? I'm looking for the tyre with the most rigid walls that'll give me the best handling on the rear.....

any thoughts or comments gratefully received :)
https://www.facebook.com/minor1000

Life is too short to own only one Minor :D
Gulliver 1969 Traveller, Green Machine 1967 2 door, Roxy 1967 4 door, Delilah 1960 convertible, Pheonix 1958 4 door, Francis 1953 4 door, Marilyn 1949 lowlight (1970 pick up & 1971 van both awaiting restoration)

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66053#p599269
carlosramalho
Minor Addict

Re: Toyo or Nangkang.... that is the question

Post by carlosramalho »

Camac, is also Nice, and are Portuguese :wink:
Cheers
MM Lowlight 1949 - Portuguese Registration
Traveller 1964 - formerly AKR 343 B
Convertible1969 - formerly XCH 455 G
Pickup 1971 - formerly BTT 213 K
MMOC 66138
MORRIS MINOR is Forever also in Portugal
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

i like you, miss the firestone tyres. There was a long gap between driving on firestones and changing to toyo tyres but I can not see any difference but and this is a big BUT.. I have not driven the car in any real amount of rain to tell you what the wet handling is like.
C6Dave
Minor Fan

Post by C6Dave »

Haven't got Toyo on the MM but had them on a C4 in the past and they were good value and handling was fine, but they were a rather different profile to what your after

I have Nankang on the MM ATM and have never had a tyre with so flexible walls on any car I have owned
Alan Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan Pearse »

I have a full set of Toyo's on my Series II not had any problems yet. Have had them on my modern before found to be a good tyre. My son runs his Fiat Stilo 2 Ltr Sport on 205/45/17 Toyo's never any problems. Toyo Tyres where originaly made by Toyota cars in house for there range of cars, until it was sold off years ago. Toyo is now just a brand name but the name is under leicence from Toyota. Nangkang are cheap and cheerful re profiled tyres (remoulds) I've known them to de laminate going down the road side wall cracking after a few months and as has been said soft. so i'd go for the Toyo's Bull Motif were doing a deal last time i looked.
Alan Pearse
Register of the
Series II
Saloon & Convertible
Register
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed the rather baloony nature of the Bridgestone tyres! The sidewall of the old Firestones and Uniroyals had a thick band of rubber extending about half way up, whereas the Bridgestones seem to be unsupported, which might be what's leading to the flexibility. Not sure if this has anything to do with them being designed as a low rolling resistance tyre. As far as I'm aware the Bridgestones are the only 14" 145 tyre now available in the UK - Camacs were available but seem to have dissapeared.

This sort of thing is why I'm quite interested in the idea of some relatively inexpensive standard-looking wheels that can accept a wider tyre. At 175 width there's a good choice of tyres from major manufacturers, readily available from any tyre shop, for less money than the Bridgestones these days.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I used to run m Series MM on 155/14 Goodyears when they were available and they stuck to the road. When Goodyears stopped I ran on Firestones which were also good and when I fitted wide wheels on the Traveller I used the Firestones off it on the MM.
I eventually fitted Nankangs on the front of the MM and the car was all over the road. When I had to replace the rear Firestones I moved the Nankangs to the rear and fitted Toyos to the front. Running the tyres at 28-30 psi all round they were an improvement but still felt skittish. I dropped the pressures down to 26 psi and the road holding and handling felt excellent on the twisty country roads at between 50 and 60 mph.
[sig]3580[/sig]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i had bridgestones on the rear of mine and i was not that impressed ive got nacking on the back they dont look like remolds at all ive not driven it in the wet yet will do tomorrow ,the tyres are all rated and i dont drive over 60 so im sure they are ok .
[sig]5641[/sig]
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

I have found Toyo to be fine on the front of my Traveller, but awful on the back due to flexing.
Making comparisons with Toyos on modern cars is a bit misleading, as they will all have a lower aspect ratio than ours, so flexure in the side walls becomes less, and possibly even advantageous on ultra low profiles (to a point).
mrmorrisminor
Minor Fan

Post by mrmorrisminor »

thanks for the feedback.... so the jury is still out!

this is all a little worrying that the only tyres we can get all seem a bit on the wobbly side....... Good handling is dependent on good tyres.

I'm not a fan of alloys generally (they look great on modified minors though) but it makes me wonder whether that is the way to go to get better tyres......
https://www.facebook.com/minor1000

Life is too short to own only one Minor :D
Gulliver 1969 Traveller, Green Machine 1967 2 door, Roxy 1967 4 door, Delilah 1960 convertible, Pheonix 1958 4 door, Francis 1953 4 door, Marilyn 1949 lowlight (1970 pick up & 1971 van both awaiting restoration)

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66053#p599269
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Definately not Toyo :o camac are a good option like Carlos said :)
carlosramalho
Minor Addict

Post by carlosramalho »

irmscher wrote:Definately not Toyo :o camac are a good option like Carlos said :)
Thanks Irmscher! :wink:
MM Lowlight 1949 - Portuguese Registration
Traveller 1964 - formerly AKR 343 B
Convertible1969 - formerly XCH 455 G
Pickup 1971 - formerly BTT 213 K
MMOC 66138
MORRIS MINOR is Forever also in Portugal
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Found some
http://www.vintagetyres.com/display.asp ... 4&m=2&dc=3

They're a tenner cheaper than Bridgestones as well!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

What ever tyres you have, try different pressures from 24 - 32 psi until you find the pressures that suit you. I run mine on 26 psi.
If you choose the wrong tyres then you can change them in 25,000 miles :)
[sig]3580[/sig]
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

If you think Nankang tyres have a soft sidewall then you should try the Toyo! These are incredibly soft. The Nankang tyres are a lot better with the new tread pattern and I would use them every time where there are only budget tyres available. I even use the same Nankang tyre (albeiit a different size) on my Volvo.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I previously ran a set of Toyo 155x14 on standard Minor wheels on the Traveller, and handling wasn't bad, despite the soft sidewalls.

Then I part-exed them for a set of LP917 4.5J van rims shod with a mixture of 165x14 tyres - handling is about the same.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)