Go with noakes

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wilfred

Go with noakes

Post by wilfred »

Hi all,
was thinking about "Go With Noakes", the late 1970's BBC Blue Peter spin off series.
I remember watching this as a child and being much more mesmerised by John Noakes' minor convertible, with its different coloured panels, than by the actual episodes.
Am sure he christened it Nellie but I may be imagining this.
What I do remember as a 10yr old was "I want that car!"
Does anyone remember the registration number or have a picture?
Hope I'm not covering old ground :)
Last edited by wilfred on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Go with noakes

Post by MarkyB »

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
wilfred

Post by wilfred »

Thanks for that, Marky.
Haven't found it yet but still hopeful.
Wish I could recall the number plate.
If it was Starsky & Hutch, Kojak, The Dukes of Hazzard I'd probably remember the reg.no.
What I do remember is that John Noakes only had one Minor convertible througout the series and didn't perform stunts with it like jumping ravines or high speed handbrake turns.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Great memory - I also recall the car and enjoyed watching the programme too. I have tried searching YouTube for it but sadly, the only episodes there are after his minor exploits. There is very little info about Go with Noakes posted anywhere to be fair. I think, if memory serves, he bought it, having answered an advert placed in a Post Office in Halifax, drove all over in it, visited the Minor Centre in Bath and had a new hood fitted, and then put it up for sale back in Halifax at the same Post Office.

As for the registration number, I think I'll have to dig out an old copy of Minor Matters. Years ago there was an article on TV minors including the Go with Noakes car, Johnny Morris on Animal Magic (Almond Green convertible), Sykes, George and Mildred (convertible) and many seen in passing during 70's shows. It may take me a day to find it but will scan the relevant page and post here for all to reminisce.

wilfred

Post by wilfred »

That would be excellent.
In this time of instant information it's not often that you can't find said item straight away, we've got used to it very quickly!
It'll be great to see it once again.
Many thanks.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

I am sure there is a picture of this in one of his books :) along with shep
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Delving back through my stash of Minor matters I have found the list of TV minors. This was from the nov/dec 1993 edition. There may have been a later one too so will keep looking for that. Sadly, this doesn't reveal the registration of the Go with Noakes convertible but does confirm that it was called Molly!

Hope it can be read OK :D[frame]Image[/frame]

Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time

Post by Matt Tomkins »

maybe have a look here:
http://www.imcdb.org/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]
wilfred

Post by wilfred »

Well done for finding all that info :D
Didn't know minors were so ubiquitous in TV and Film!
Apparently there is a John Noakes Fan Club on Facebook. Maybe they would have specific info or pics of the car.
Am not on Facebook so am no use on that one I'm afraid.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Checking the DVLA database, 8 of the cars on the Minor matters list are still going strong today. Others vary from 1986 to 1995 when they were last on the road. I'm guessing some owners are driving round in film stars but probably don't even know it!

For the record those still registered are:

VBJ 892G White Convertible from 'No Sex Please We're British' licenced to 09/12
571 STO White Traveller from 'Boon' licenced to 09/12
CME 979A Green 2dr saloon from Top Gear (Tiff Needell demonstrating handling on a skid pan) licenced to 09/12
OAR 253D Green Traveller from Top Gear licenced to 04/12
XDG 492J Blue traveller from Top Gear licenced to 12/12
PNW 479G Whitte 2dr saloon from 'Open All Hours' licenced to 05/12
626 HYM saloon from 'The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin@ licenced to 05/12
SNU 557E Trafalgar Blue saloon restored by Cilla black's programme 'Surprise Surprise' licenced to 06/12

wilfred

Post by wilfred »

Found another by chance whilst watching an episode of Sykes, entitled "You'll never walk alone", this morning.

898 JPF 1956-63 Minor 1000 convertible, green, lovely patina, rear indicators added, featured throughout the episode.
Last edited by wilfred on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattyb
Minor Fan

Post by mattyb »

remember the car as well - johnny noakes "did it up" in a barn in the first episode - I think it had grey or light blue body with red wings - but that could be Noddy......

can remember the brass band theme tune even now ......
wilfred

Post by wilfred »

Think your right, it definitely had different coloured panels,
though which ones I can't remember.
Someone must know the identity or have a picture of this characterful old steed.

It's getting a bit like the search for the lost episodes of Dr.Who 8)
'61Morris
Minor Friendly

Post by '61Morris »

I have very vivid memories of watching the repeats of "Go With Noakes" in the early eighties when the show was re-named "Back With Noakes". I think that information in Minor Matters about the car being named Molly is actually incorrect, as I always remembered the car being called Nelly, just as "Wilfred" remembers. The car was definitely a grey convertible and I remember the bonnet and boot lid were painted bright red! I've been searching Youtube for years to see this car again but sadly nothing has materialised yet.
[sig]9257[/sig]
Bluebell - 1961 Clipper Blue 948cc genuine Tourer.
John C
Minor Friendly

Post by John C »

Yes, I too remember Go with Noakes and his Convertible - I came from a Minor-ing family so already wanted a Minor but those TV shows made me want to paddle the Liffey Descent canoe race. It took a few years but I did eventually - it became an annual canoeing pilgrimage through the mid-80s-early-90s...

JC

IForgotMyPassword

Post by IForgotMyPassword »

Hello. I came across this page cos I was desperately nostalgic for the old 'Go With Noakes' convertible, it was such a key moment in developing my love of cars as a kid.

I sadly can't remember the numberplate any more - but back in the 80s (when my memory for number plates was stronger) I do recall the very same car appearing as Mrs Meaker's runabout in an episode of Rentaghost. The bonnet and boot (or was it the wings?) had been reverted back to the original grey, from the red that John painted them.
mattyb
Minor Fan

Post by mattyb »

Rent a ghost ! ?

admit it - your Timothy Claypole ! - Pogles wood anyone ??
wilfred

Post by wilfred »

Interesting link re Rentaghost.
Anyone seen the Mrs. Meaker convertible in question or know its reg plate?

Dobbin the pantomime horse always the scene stealer :)
'61Morris
Minor Friendly

Post by '61Morris »

I have to say, being an avid viewer of Rentaghost in its final years from about '81-'84, I don't ever remember seeing any Morris Minors at all - and trust me, I would remember! I do remember Mrs Meaker having a red Triumph Herald which was magically shrunk in size to a toy, found by the nextdoor neighbour who thoughtfully put it on her kitchen table in case a neighbour had lost it, then restored to its original size in the kitchen!

I do remember seeing a Morris Minor Traveller appearing quite a bit in the early '80s kids TV series of "Stig of the Dump".
[sig]9257[/sig]
Bluebell - 1961 Clipper Blue 948cc genuine Tourer.
spartan

Post by spartan »

Hi all.

I was just reading this post on the John Noakes morris minor, The registration was 284 UPH, i can still vividly remember it from watching the series as a kid. It inspired me as a kid to have a moggie which i did, it was my first car, wished i still had it.

Anyway its my first post and would like to say hello, its a great forum