Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andrew.searston
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

ft young drivers scheme

Post by andrew.searston »

hi everyone
just phoned up footman james regarding a quote and they told me that they have stopped the young drivers scheme. ive currently got my mgb gt insured with them and when it comes to renewal i will have to go else where
they also told me that i will have no no claimes bonus once my insurance is up??? how can they do this, what am i paying for, now ive got to start a square one again :evil: cant not stress how dissapointed i am. quick enough to take the money. anyone else experianced this?
[sig]9671[/sig]
LouiseM

Re: ft young drivers scheme

Post by LouiseM »

To clarify, FJ are still continuing to insure young drivers (from 17 years) under the MMOC young drivers scheme if they drive Morris Minors - see earlier thread: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42262

Most classic car insurance does not accrue a no claims bonus - did your policy state that you would get one? Unfortunately not many insurers will insure drivers under 25 years with classic cars. Youngcamper currently has his MG advertised for sale here because he has been unable to insure it for a reasonable price: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42323

Eric - 1971 Traveller
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Just to re-iterate what Louise says: FJ DO insure young Morris Minor drivers under the MMOC scheme, which is unique to the MMOC, and surely justifies membership. Unfortunately, not all FJ staff seem to be aware of the scheme, but the company has instigated a comprehensive training exercise, which should solve the problem. If you experience any problems then talk to the MMOC office at Derby, as most issues can be solved amicably.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Andrew shop around there are a lot of companies cheaper than Footman James as i found out for my son :o
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

thanks for the advice guys, tough situation for young drivers to get reasonable quotes :roll: .
im currently shopping around a cant find anywhere cheaper at the moment
what places would you suggest lee?? :D
[sig]9671[/sig]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Andrew try the Co Op young drivers scheme you have a box fitted but careful driving (Morris minor driving ) reaps rewards :D and your insurance goes down accordingly
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

You will find (it was certainly the case when I took out my first 'proper' policy with Direct Line*) that although you do not, and usually cannot, earn any 'bonus reduction' or discount for your claim-free years you probably have documentary evidence of continuous insurance. :) This is often all you need to prove that you have been insured for x number of years thus being entitled to a no-claims discount of x number of years.

Don't fret about it. I would say that it might be worthwhile moving from FJ - a yearly insurance juggle is de rigeur for most of us often shuttling between two different insurers on a biannual basis. :wink:

* Other insurers are available...
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
mrmorrisminor
Minor Fan

Post by mrmorrisminor »

My brother (22 yrs) recently insured a modern car and wanted to use his 'bonus' as he'd been with FJ for 4 years with no claims. They gave him a letter to give to his new insurers and they honoured it with no problems.... so minors of youg drivers really are the way forward :)
https://www.facebook.com/minor1000

Life is too short to own only one Minor :D
Gulliver 1969 Traveller, Green Machine 1967 2 door, Roxy 1967 4 door, Delilah 1960 convertible, Pheonix 1958 4 door, Francis 1953 4 door, Marilyn 1949 lowlight (1970 pick up & 1971 van both awaiting restoration)

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66053#p599269
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Andrew have you had chance to ring the Co Op for a quote be interesting to know the price ??
DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

Ive had the same problem,TBH if your under 21 forget anything over 1500cc (this is where MGBs get stuck)
Ive been with FJ for 5 years,the price never came down,the service got worse,as did the mistakes.
ive moved to Lancaster for my 1973 Reliant Rebel, £170 fully comp,opposed to £438 tpft with FJ.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Has anyone had a quote of the Co Op would be interesting to find out ??? there is some information on FT in the members section