Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gammy126
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Stainless Steel sills for 2 door

Post by gammy126 »

Hi , I thought i run this past you guys before i spend my money.
Im after 2 st steel sill for my 2 door moggie and iv seen some for sale from GS Jones for around £26 + vat and postage for the pair, which seems v cheap. Have any of you out there used GS Jones as im wondering about the quality of his stuff as his chrome bumpers also seem v cheap.
All thought welcome .
If you can suggest other suppliers you would recommend through personal use let me know especially for the chrome work.

Many thanks
Alan :D
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Stainless Steel sills for 2 door

Post by alexandermclaren »

gammy126 wrote:Hi , I thought i run this past you guys before i spend my money.
Im after 2 st steel sill for my 2 door moggie and iv seen some for sale from GS Jones for around £26 + vat and postage for the pair, which seems v cheap. Have any of you out there used GS Jones as im wondering about the quality of his stuff as his chrome bumpers also seem v cheap.
All thought welcome .
If you can suggest other suppliers you would recommend through personal use let me know especially for the chrome work.

Many thanks
Alan :D
hi alan
yes i too looked at his prices and thought the same as you
so i did a wee test i went through the checkout to the end without sending my card details
it will surprise you
a 7.98 gbp brake hose
ended up costing 20 .98
FOR ONE brake hose
how did it get to that
what is going on?
shipping is an horrendous 8.95gbp
vat is added to the item and would you belive also to the postage
he aint so cheap now is he
so beware thats all i can say
esm seems to get a great write up on this site so think i will be dealing with them for my spares
take care

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I've had stainless door sills fitted to my Traveller for 10 years now. Still in good condition. Mine came from Bull M.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

Thanks for the info guys. Once bitten twice shy. :D
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Have you tried Moss Europe? A tad more expensive but they have a shop in Stockport, if they are near enough collecting from them will save postage.

Richard
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Unfortunately VAT is always levied on postage and packing. Don't blame the supplier, blame the taxman.
You or I can go to the post office and buy a stamp to put on a package, when Fred from Better Bits for Minors buys a stamp and sticks it on the parcel to send to you he has to pay VAT on it so he charges the VAT to you.
[sig]3580[/sig]
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

I have just ordered a pile of bits from GS Jones and he was much cheaper on all the items including the VAT, then other places. The postage was £8.95 (plus vat) for a big box full, it was cheaper as I needed a few items. If you just need a single item then shop around. It came the very next day too! :D
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

mike.perry wrote:Unfortunately VAT is always levied on postage and packing. Don't blame the supplier, blame the taxman.
You or I can go to the post office and buy a stamp to put on a package, when Fred from Better Bits for Minors buys a stamp and sticks it on the parcel to send to you he has to pay VAT on it so he charges the VAT to you.
yea its certainly the tax man to blame
but 10 pounds to post me one brake hose that cant be the cost of postage for a brake hose
i dont need or want 60 pounds worth of stuff at one time
a bit of common sense is all i ask

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I supply engineering parts on a very regular basis as part of my lot in life.
It is worth noting the dispatcher of parts has to insure to the value of the parts which drives the carriage charge up,the supplier can then increase his carriage costs or take the hit himself reducing his profit margin, or share the costs with his customer.
Any courier right now will charge at least £8.00 or so for just about any parcel on a next day delivery.
Its a real bind but someone has to pay for the delivery.
Where angels fear to tread
tomas.geoghegan
Minor Fan

Post by tomas.geoghegan »

Just A few Words to say what Fantastic service off ESM MINORS And A Very Easy online Websight to use.
Sware bi um
Best Regards Tom Geoghegan

chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

I tend to order different things from different suppliers depending on how they calculate their postage costs. For small, light, relatively low value things, I tend to order from ESM as they calculate their postage based on weight. If I'm ordering something heavier, somewhere like Bull Motif who charge a flat rate may be cheaper. Most suppliers also offer free postage if you order more than a certain amount, so if you can, 'save up' an order to qualify for this. I think for both ESM and BM, the threshold is £60 - hardly difficult to spend these days!

As has been said, VAT, although annoying, is not the fault of the trader. The thing that does irritate me is traders quoting prices ex VAT on websites that are clearly aimed at ordinary retail customers, who'll have to pay 20% more than the price listed.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
bernalwrongun
Minor Friendly

Post by bernalwrongun »

I've also ordered a few bits from G. S. Jones and like a lot on here I find that doing some research on certain parts means you can find better discounts but on this occasion they were pretty good on the whole. Also very fast delivery and packed up very safely so can't really fault them so far.
x

jobberwock

Post by jobberwock »

I bought mine off Jones together with other bits and pieces. Standard charge for postage.Got a confirmation email and advised of courier service. Delivered the next day. On my car,together with new stainless kickplates(bought off 'preloved' unused) the following day. One of those dream jobs ....for a change! :D