Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Another MOT

Post by bmcecosse »

But only just! The tester wanted to fail it 'because the wiper blades didn't clean the screen' . Apparently supposed to be no streaks/judders/marks - spotlessly clean..... On a Minor - clean the screen? He must be joking. I explained the car didn't go out in the wet anyway, so they let me off....... :lol: My own fault really - I used to have a brand new set of blades I fitted just for the MOT, and then wrapped up in tissue paper and put away till the next time. Last year I stupidly left them on the car.... :oops:
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Re: Another MOT

Post by dalebrignall »

well done roy ,mine is going tomorrow for mot /and new engine .
[sig]5641[/sig]
mikeysmorris
Minor Fan
Location: thurso,caithness,scotland (the very top of scotland)

Post by mikeysmorris »

and again well done Roy , molly is also going tomorrow for mot, fingers crossed all will be well .
my morris molly
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

Went straight through MoT on Saturday, no advisories, only second MoT in 21 years, and the car has only be recommishend not rebuilt.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good luck to you both.... it was just this 'wipers must be perfect' thing that surprised me. The blades are fine - as are the arms, but they commented that the screen was not being 'perfectly' cleaned......... A 'new' engine Dale ????? Oh dear ! Sounds horribly expensive....
ImageImage
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Well done on the pass, BMC.

If I got a comment like that at an MOT centre, I'd be looking for a new tester for the next MOT. One who understands and is sympathetic to classic cars, not a jobsworth!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh no - been going there for years. I guess the rules have changed and they were just 'letting me know'....... :lol: :roll: Next year I will a) clean the screen properly before I go and b) fit new blades for the test........and wrap them up afterwards......
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Just had my convertible tested and he forgot to test the wipers /washers entirely! I don't mind as he had a very good look underneath and found the worn bottom trunnion that I had missed. He kindly suggested it may be ok if I greased it and gave me a pass, so I sould go away and change it at my convenience, which I did.
Its what I like, an MOT with common sense all round. The important safety related item found, and I don't have to waste his time or mine taking it back the next day for a free retest... The potential for that car to be MOT exempt if the pre 1960 exemption proposals go through is a nightmare.
The wipers work fine btw, as well as Series 2 wipers ever do!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

IaininTenbury wrote:Just had my convertible tested and he forgot to test the wipers /washers entirely! I don't mind as he had a very good look underneath and found the worn bottom trunnion that I had missed. He kindly suggested it may be ok if I greased it and gave me a pass, so I sould go away and change it at my convenience, which I did.
Its what I like, an MOT with common sense all round. The important safety related item found, and I don't have to waste his time or mine taking it back the next day for a free retest... The potential for that car to be MOT exempt if the pre 1960 exemption proposals go through is a nightmare.
The wipers work fine btw, as well as Series 2 wipers ever do!
Result, Ian!

Sounds like this chap is a decent, fair MOT man. Please do publish details of this MOT garage so others in the area can benefit.

BTW, what I found works FAR better for getting my cars through the MOT by myself is to take the car to a friendly local mechanic who then takes the car to the MOT station. Passes every time then!
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

There you go BMC, section 8.2

RfR (reason for refusal)

2. A wiper blade insecure, missing, or in such a condition that it does not clear the windscreen effectively to give the driver an adequate view of the road (through the windscreen) to the left and right sides of the vehicle, as well as to the front.

3. The windscreen washers do not provide enough liquid to clear the windscreen in conjunction with the wiper(s).

For me there has to be an area of UNCLEARED screen inside the swept area. A bit of smearing does not constitute a fail in my book. The residue left from all this shampoo and wax rubbish leaves a film of wax on the glass, this is responsible for most of the smearing.
Also 1 washer hole ion a twin jet blocked isn't a fail as long as enough watwer is provided to clear the screen. sometimes enough water is provided from one side of the car to clear both the drivers side & passenger side.

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Confirms my suspicion, either BMC's tester was in a bad mood with Mr BMC :wink: or he was being a jobsworth! A little light "smearing" does not obstruct the view of the road!
Robbie/Mort
Minor Friendly

Post by Robbie/Mort »

Hi
i put new wiper blades on for mot, forgot to take them off ready for next mot. I thought i was the only one who did that glad i'm not the only one who forgot.

Robbie/Mort
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

hi roy,im having a new engine because ive never been happy with this one its always sounded rumbley and rough it does not use too much oil ,and the oil pressure is good .the revs drop a lot when you press the cluch down on tick over,too much end float on the crank so im biting the bullett before it goes bang .hopefully i will be set up for a few years . :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

have you tryed rainex its brilliant stuff hardley used the wipers today .
[sig]5641[/sig]
mikeysmorris
Minor Fan
Location: thurso,caithness,scotland (the very top of scotland)

Post by mikeysmorris »

Hi all, molly passed today with no advisories :D [frame]Image[/frame]
my morris molly
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done Mikey. As for my wipers - the blades are fine, but of course the car has lain all winter in my garage, and I just decided since it was dry day to see if they had an MOT 'slot'. So the blades may be in need of a bit of use to loosen them up. They do seem to clear the screen to me - but he was going on about some streaks, and bits not wiped properly at the end of the stroke. The garage owner told the lad it was as good as you get on a car of that age, and told him just to pass it. He knows full well he isn't going to wring any business out of me - and I will just be straight back down in an hour for a free re-test, which ties up his MOT rig for another hour - all for 'nothing'.......
ImageImage
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Excellent news all round congrats to all especially Bmc who puts a lot of effort into helping others (even coil issues, when it isn't the coil).

For the record too, mine passed no advisories, the MOT tester commented "he wished all cars were like mine to look at and work on".

Mere Green service station Mere Green, Sutton Coldfield is my garage... :wink: Very sympathetic to classics.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

we passed too!

[frame]Image[/frame]

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done all - it must be the season..........
ImageImage
win
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by win »

Hi all
Just passed, at Central Garage, Kendray, Barnsley. 01226 281161.
Included in the price of £25, a free chat about old cars, good result, what a wonderful life.

Regards Win
South Yorkshire