Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

no more MOT for pre 60 cars

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

well the goverment have failed to listen..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326
JSimons
Minor Friendly

Re: no more MOT for pre 60 cars

Post by JSimons »

So i have to MOT one of mine but not the other...
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Such a daft idea! We've all gone to look at classic cars with some horrendous bodges on them. With non-enthusiasts now picking up on this as well as the fact that insurance is so cheap I can see this ending in disaster!
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
JSimons
Minor Friendly

Post by JSimons »

I wonder if testers will still carry out an 'off-the-record' test at an owners discretion?
donsrule

Post by donsrule »

The BBC states no MOT for vehicles manufactured before 1960.

My Minor was first registered on 23/02/1960.

The chassis number is MA2S3803262

Is there any way of establishing if my car was manufactured before 1960?[frame]Image[/frame]
estwdjhn
Minor Friendly

Post by estwdjhn »

I wonder if testers will still carry out an 'off-the-record' test at an owners discretion?
Voluntary testing will remain available for anyone who wants it...
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Hope this doesn't push up the prices of pre 1960s vehicles, or lead to restrictions on their use.
Tamsin
Minor Friendly

Post by Tamsin »

I agree with Matt.

Its all well and good saying that classic owners maintain and look after their cars well - in the large part this is true. But we all occaisionally miss things that might get picked up at MOT.

I can just see a new class of classic owners cropping up too who think "its pre 1960, it runs and drives - so wahey!" totally ignoring the fact that the structure of the car is made of blu-tak and the brakes have the stopping power of a fart in a hurricane and smashing it when the brakes dont work. Thus the insurance will have to pay out, the insurers costs will increase and those costs will of course be passed onto those of us who do look after and maintain our cars.

The other thing is that the insurance will want evidence that the car is in roadworthy condition - and how does one do that without an MOT?

Signifies the end of cheap classic insurance to me....
Last edited by Tamsin on Mon May 21, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1968 Maroon 2 Door
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

StaffsMoggie wrote:Hope this doesn't push up the prices of pre 1960s vehicles, or lead to restrictions on their use.
Especially pushed-up prices for cars that don't have the security of an MOT :o
morrisminorbzh
Minor Fan

Post by morrisminorbzh »

StaffsMoggie wrote:Hope this doesn't push up the prices of pre 1960s vehicles, or lead to restrictions on their use.
Partly because of botching etc, the French brought in testing (every 5 years and when a vehicule is sold) on on classic cars in 2009 !!! We managed to get the stupid geographical restrictions removed - we were not allowed to go outside of our département.
Pretty sure that someone's going to say that it's the fault of the EU !!!! Not this time !!!!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

donsrule wrote:The BBC states no MOT for vehicles manufactured before 1960.

Is there any way of establishing if my car was manufactured before 1960?[frame]Image[/frame]
A BMIHT Production Trace Certificate will give the build date
[sig]3580[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

JSimons wrote:I wonder if testers will still carry out an 'off-the-record' test at an owners discretion?
The computer says no
[sig]3580[/sig]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The scrapping of the MoT for pre-1960 cars is definitely a bad idea... there are a lot of rogues out there.
Also a lot of owners have only basic mechanical knowledge and may never have lifted the carpets.

Imagine this scenario which could become a reality:

a so-and-so 1936 Eight has been rotting in a barn for 40 years. Someone buys it, gets it running, effects a few structural repairs, frees the brakes off and then hits the open road without any obligation to have it checked over. So they might get pulled for driving an unroadworthy vehicle, but it might be too late.

Deffo a very bad idea. How am I going to know the handbrake linkages are worn, rubber bushes have perished and there's an unsafe amount of free play in the steering???
dalgrae
Minor Fan

Post by dalgrae »

I like most people I think welcome the MOT as a further check on what maintenance / repair work I carry out , but I really hope that any vehicle that is currently on a SORN has prior to being put back on the road has an MOT carried out to at least show it is roadworthy .If not all sorts of things can and will happen
Austingirl
Minor Friendly

Post by Austingirl »

I worry that this is the thin end of a wedge whereby pre 1960's vehicles are thought of only as museum pieces and we are eventually told how and where we can use them :(
Hope I'm proved wrong
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

donsrule wrote:The BBC states no MOT for vehicles manufactured before 1960.

Is there any way of establishing if my car was manufactured before 1960?
The first chassis number of 1960 was 790007 so yours was built in '60

A have a 1957 thats been off the road for 10 years now, looks like theres no need to fix it up properly and if i was so inclined could drive it in an unroadworthy state now. Ridiculous ruling.
Saying that, for those who do still intent to look after their cars you wont have to deal with MOTers that dont have a clue about cars, like one that tried to fail my car as he couldnt open the passenger door from the outside, he obviously hadnt realised that minors dont have central locking...
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Just a thought, this would probably mean that even more older cars will just be sold for their number plates and left to rot as they would no longer need to be made roadworthy and MOTd before nicking the plate. :(
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Well I think it's great!

It will help promote older cars and reduces a lot of red tape and a test that was less and less applicable.

As for the condition or road-worthiness of cars I see that it will make little difference. I host our branch mechanics days and I can say that whether a car has an MOT or not is absolutely no indication of it being safe. Most of the posts on this forum about brakes, lighting or suspension problems relate to cars that hold a current MOT!

Let's not forget that it is our legal obligation to make sure that our cars are roadworthy, regardless of MOT.

It will increase the value of older cars because the annual running cost has now been reduced by about £40 or more. It will also generate interest in older cars, which is good for all of us.

As for comments referring to not needing to fix cars properly that have been off the road, anyone driving such a car is very (more) likely to be stopped and prosecuted. It is no more legal to do that now than it was before, having (zero duty) tax and insurance does not mean you can legally drive an unsafe car.

I think there is a lot of knee jerk reaction to something that will in fact be of great benefit to owners of older cars. I can understand those people that have a post 1960 car (of the same design) being a bit miffed though. I have several classics and three will qualify, which is a good start!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Sidney'61 wrote:Just a thought, this would probably mean that even more older cars will just be sold for their number plates and left to rot as they would no longer need to be made roadworthy and MOTd before nicking the plate. :(
This was my only question, regarding the re-registering cars that have not got a V5C. My assumption is that these cars will still need to be inspected. I very much doubt that plates will be transferable either without a vehicle inspection.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
heathy12
Minor Fan

Post by heathy12 »

How do we tax them then ????

Guessing its a V5 logbook and insurance prentation at the post office then!

Great news for the Classic car scene :)
JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION