Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
santadawes
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: VW weekend

Post by santadawes »

MColes wrote:You'd be surprised how many 'youngsters' drive Minors... we're going to have quite a large presence at this year's national rally.

Santa always have large presents wherever I go........

lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

But only for the good little boys n girls who don't moddifie there minors .
speed not tweed
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Interesting to revisit this thread again.
Agreed re the music: "So why not book someone like Cara Emerald , amelda may or Kitty Daisy n Lewis or Sea Sick Steve "
It'd make a change and be a new theme anyway. (I know next year will be well on the way to being organised now, but worht a thought for the year after perhaps...).
I went to a VW rally a few years back (long story, not really into VWs) and the atmosphere was great. Really laid back and friendly. A live stage with various bands playing, no admission - if you're at the rally, you're at the party and folk could come and go as they wished. The closed marquee at the MMOC do with tickets beign checked at the door is a little unfriendly. Take the side off the tent open it to all. Then we don't need volunteers to man the door and they can go and enjoy themselves too. And folk who haven't bought a party ticket, if they weren't sure if they wanted to go, first time at the event etc, can pop in, have a drink and stay as long as they wish...
Just some thoughts.... :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

IaininTenbury wrote: The closed marquee at the MMOC do with tickets beign checked at the door is a little unfriendly. Take the side off the tent open it to all. Then we don't need volunteers to man the door and they can go and enjoy themselves too.
I don't know if it has been the same every year but this year food was also included in the price of the party ticket so opening the marquee to all wasn't really an option and the caterers needed to know in advance how many were coming. Perhaps consideration needs to be given to not providing food at the party as most campers tend to bring their own food & drink with them to the rally anyway and for those that don't there is food available on site.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Fair point, I didn't realise that, though a food ticket rather than a party ticket would get round that issue. I didn't get to the party this year but spent the evening in one of the various gatherings around the campsite. I was trying to put my finger on why the VW event I went to had a completely different feel to the MMOC do and its difficult to put into words... It wasn't the horrible clatter of air cooled engines anyway... :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

IaininTenbury wrote: Agreed re the music: "So why not book someone like Cara Emerald , amelda may or Kitty Daisy n Lewis or Sea Sick Steve "
I wouldn't say no to Kitty, Daisy and Lewis if they could be booked... their style of music would certainly appeal to all ages I'm sure :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxW3Ed7GrhQ
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I think the VW meets have more of a 'festival' air to them with the live bands etc, this would be good at the MMOC National aswell, turn it into a bit of a shindig. 8)

Might not happen next year (2013) though due to it being held in conjunction with the Int'l Morris Centenary.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I think JOWETTJAVELIN has hit the nail on the head, the MMOC National has the feeling of an overgrown church Fête, quiet and safe but not much fun.
I'm guessing that the person or people who arrange the VW meet have a background in organising gigs for the student union or some such.
It may also be that the most vocal sectors of each club have very different tastes too.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

MarkyB wrote: I'm guessing that the person or people who arrange the VW meet have a background in organising gigs for the student union or some such.
Depends on which VW meet you are talking about Marky. The big VW events - Bug Jam, Run to the Sun, VW festival etc - aren't organised by owners clubs for their members, they are run as commercial enterprises.

Unlike the Minor scene the VW scene is massive and there are loads of different Beetle clubs who hold their own events & rallies - there isn't just one national owners club which holds one national rally. So Beetle owners have a huge choice of large events to choose from, catering for different audiences, including track days, weekend festivals or more laid back rallies. Some VW rallies have live bands and all-night rave tents but others have children’s entertainment, birds of prey and fancy dress parties. So comparing one or two VW events to the MMOC national rally isn't really a great comparison. If you’re arranging an event you have to tailor it to suit your target audience and if you are a national club and you have a diverse range of members aging from teens to over 80 you are never going to be able to please everyone. As can be seen in this thread, some owners like the punch & judy but others don't, some like going to the party but others prefer to stay round their tents, some want live bands but others don't. Even when live bands are provided, because people’s musical tastes are so varied you’ll still get some people complaining because it isn’t to their taste so whatever is provided the organisers can't win. Saying that, most of the people I meet at various classic car rallies are there to rummage the auto jumble, look at the cars and meet up with people with a common interest - they don’t seem particularly bothered about the entertainment!

Eric - 1971 Traveller
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

[
I went to a VW rally a few years back (long story, not really into VWs) and the atmosphere was great. Really laid back and friendly. A live stage with various bands playing, no admission - if you're at the rally, you're at the party and folk could come and go as they wished. The closed marquee at the MMOC do with tickets beign checked at the door is a little unfriendly. Take the side off the tent open it to all. Then we don't need volunteers to man the door and they can go and enjoy themselves too. And folk who haven't bought a party ticket, if they weren't sure if they wanted to go, first time at the event etc, can pop in, have a drink and stay as long as they wish...
Just some thoughts.... :)[/quote]

Very good idea. The MMOC is a broad church, so I am sure, if publicised there would be members come forward with there own acts/music at no charge and with the Bar run correctly there would be sufficient money generated to pay for a disco.

It's interesting to note that a lot of new ideas mooted on this site have an initial negative reaction and then you see a year or so down the line the ideas are put into action with great success (even ideas from those that have been banned from the site!)

So, please, any comments on how to innovate and improve, not how xyz does it for profit, etc, etc...............
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

In the day you wanna look at the cars an have a rummage or whatch cars dragging, but at night , well I personaly like a bit of rock n blues or ska so I can dance my old wrinkley butt off ,
speed not tweed
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

There was a VW meet and auto jumble during the summer on Southsea seafront common (Portsmouth). Entrance was free but if you were showing your car it was approx £12.
I was impressed with the distances some of these folk had travelled. Had children's 'street dancing' show and some other small entertainment. It was open to all VWs of all types and ages, Golfs etc, as well as pretty much anything if you were willing to pay the £12. Absolutely fab array of cars and vans. Particularly enjoyed the custom section and 'Yank' car display. As well as a chap who had one of those very old 50's Porche's, who was very keen to talk to anyone about his car (without being a showoff).

A grand day out and it was free!
Cam

Post by Cam »

lowride stepside wrote:
ASL642 wrote:Morris Minor "Youngsters" are usually about 16 - 30! :wink: :D
So what happens a thirty ,do they put on the tweed and walk round the shows saying things like mmmmm thats not original and I realy don't think you wanted to do that (LIKE THE HARRY ENFIELD CHARECTER)
My GOD! Big Brother is watching me!!!!!! :o :o :lol: :lol:
Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time

Post by Matt Tomkins »

Cam wrote:
lowride stepside wrote:
ASL642 wrote:Morris Minor "Youngsters" are usually about 16 - 30! :wink: :D
So what happens a thirty ,do they put on the tweed and walk round the shows saying things like mmmmm thats not original and I realy don't think you wanted to do that (LIKE THE HARRY ENFIELD CHARECTER)
My GOD! Big Brother is watching me!!!!!! :o :o :lol: :lol:

has to be said, we do this anyway! tweed caps/jackets checking out engine/body numbers etc! Though this is far from all we do, we do have a keen interest in being old farts even before our time!
lowride stepside wrote:But only for the good little boys n girls who don't moddifie there minors .
not at all! a large number of our members do modify their cars and are by no means discouraged from doing so. It's your car, do what you will with it. So long the cars stay on the road in one form or another!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]