Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cruising speed ?

Post by chrisryder »

This bugs me just as someone who says horses etc shouldnt be allowed on the roads??? Why not, they were here first, those that come after have to adapt.
The first motorway was opened in December 1958. 2 years after the last 803 Minor rolled out. So arguably the 803 Minor shouldn't be using the motorway at all.

It should stick to the A roads that it was on first.

If you want to get somewhere fast, you use a motorway. If you want to drive at 50, there's no advantage over using an A road. You'll find life more relaxing on an A road, and all the traffic will be on the Motorways.
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

bmcecosse wrote:Driving at 50 on an Mway IS dangerous - and extremely selfish. You slow a truck to 50 on an incline - and a whole line of trucks will be brought to their knees - and will start trying to overtake each other, completely blocking the Mway for other traffic. And of course, you are also getting Minor Owners a very bad reputation. I avoid the Mway whenever I can - it's MUCH more pleasant to drive on a nice peaceful A or B road, where you can make your own speed, and stop where you wish. At 50 mph up here - the trucks would be 1mm from your bumper and when they did pass - the trailer wheels would be so close you would automatically cut over into the shoulder..........
Seriously - what you suggest is just not reasonable......
If it was so dangerous and selfish it would be illegal which its NOT. Bad reputation??? Dont know how they drive in Scotland (youve probably got your own laws :-? just to be different, I dont know) but I see many vehicles travelling at 50, especially those travelling with trailers.

Its NOT illegal, hence I am doing nothing wrong.

In fact, most accidents are caused by lorries travelling too fast, and over turning etc.

IN FACT , you should know that traffic jams etc are caused by speeding, as speeding alters the natural flow of traffic.

70 IS THE MAX SPEED, NOT A TARGET. THERE ARE NO SLOW OR FAST LANES, EVERY LANE HAS A LIMIT OF 70, IN WHICH CASE, OTHER MOTORISTS HAVE 2 OTHER LANES TO OVERTAKE.

I suggest you read up on your knowledge, and then answer.

ANSWER THIS

In Germany, where I frequently drive, you have cars on the autobahns driving anything from 50-60, to 150 mph plus. Guess what, there are hardly any accidents, and hardly any traffic jams. So your theory on slow driving is dangerous blah blah is false.
Last edited by LouiseM on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of personal comments
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Chill out---you get wound up too easily. If you want to do 50, well no one can stop you but it is unexpected behavior on a motorway, possibly causing approaching vehicles to slow dramatically whilst waiting for the next lane to present a gap, (we all know what happens when brake lights suddenly appear) or indeed swerve into this lane suddenly, yes they should be ready for any eventuality but that's not always the case.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It could be classed as 'causing an obstruction' which would be an offence.
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

Yes, people do more than 70 on motorways. Yes, that can in itself cause jams, but you travelling at 50 causes lorries to have to overtake you, meaning that the 3 lane motorway is now basically a 1 lane motorway for anyone wanting to do over 60.

And that's when accidents start occurring... everyone sees the obstruction coming up, and everyone piles into the outside lane. Some of those people are doing 65. Some are doing 80+.

Anything, even just one Minor, that can reduce the number of Lorries causing two lanes to be blocked can help to ease conjestion and accidents.

Plus, it really cannot be all that fun to be sat trundling along at 50mph with the whole world flying past you? Have you got nowhere to go?

If the 803 really can't cope with keeping up with lorries, it's about time you got a 948 engine in there... or rebuild the 803. You suggest that everyone on the road has to adapt to suit you... how about you adapt?
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

les wrote:Chill out---you get wound up too easily. If you want to do 50, well no one can stop you but it is unexpected behavior on a motorway, possibly causing approaching vehicles to slow dramatically whilst waiting for the next lane to present a gap, (we all know what happens when brake lights suddenly appear) or indeed swerve into this lane suddenly, yes they should be ready for any eventuality but that's not always the case.
Perfectly put. Your way over reacting, but I hope now you see this is not just my point of view against yours.
___Anne___

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

kingzjdc- The fewer 803 Minors on the motorway the better!!! If going over 70 MPH immediately leads to traffic jams, then the traffic on the autobahns (where you frequently drive) must be pretty horrific, with 803 Minors in the right hand lane at 50 MPH and Audis and BMWs at 155 MPH in the overtaking lanes... :-? If you don't feel vulnerable at 50 in an 803 Minor, then I'm afraid you are not aware of your surroundings. That's not to say you shouldn't go on the motorway (I did from time to time until I blew my 803 trying to maintain pace with lorries at 56 mph so as not to cause a nuisance), but if you do use it, you could do with driving with consideration. You should also realise that there are a lot of bad drivers out there, and they won't notice your low speed, possibly until it's too late and you become involved in an accident. You have no more 'rights' than anyone else on the road. I'm speaking as someone with a fair bit of driver training- I'm a qualified IAM observer. Feel free to contact me if you want to find out more about IAM's 'Skill for Life' :wink:
Andy Rose
Minor Friendly

Post by Andy Rose »

Wow, sorry to have stirred up so much emotion. :oops:
Life is better in a Morrie
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

bmcecosse wrote:Driving at 50 on an Mway IS dangerous - and extremely selfish. You slow a truck to 50 on an incline - and a whole line of trucks will be brought to their knees - and will start trying to overtake each other, completely blocking the Mway for other traffic. And of course, you are also getting Minor Owners a very bad reputation. I avoid the Mway whenever I can - it's MUCH more pleasant to drive on a nice peaceful A or B road, where you can make your own speed, and stop where you wish. At 50 mph up here - the trucks would be 1mm from your bumper and when they did pass - the trailer wheels would be so close you would automatically cut over into the shoulder..........
Seriously - what you suggest is just not reasonable......

I 100% agree Roy. The idea with motoring is that you don't cause an obstruction to other road users - so keep up with the flow of traffic. If you can't in whatever vehicle you drive, then this 'fast' road is not for you.
I personally feel safer in the 'fast' lane as i'm not surrounded by folk dithering around.
kingzdjc, you seem rather antagonistic toward others that don't share your viewpoint, please chill and get a life.
Any 948 or 1098 Minor will easily cope with cruising at 60+, the remainder don't - horses for courses.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Cruising speed is limited by tyre balance, diff whine, prop shaft balance, general body shake and other factors which make driving any faster an uncomfortable experience. Engine capacity comes well down the list.
My Series MM is quite happy at 55-60 mph, enough to keep up with HGVs and venture into the centre lane to overtake the slower ones
[sig]3580[/sig]
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

kingzdjc wrote: Bad reputation??? Dont know how they drive in Scotland (youve probably got your own laws :-? just to be different, I dont know) but I see many vehicles travelling at 50, especially those travelling with trailers.
Yes it does give a bad reputation. I prefer to stick at around 60 ( car vibrates alot- need to fix the engine steady bar) and I feel safer and a less of a nuisance to other road users if I use an A road. if a 'old morris minor' travelling at 50 causes ,as others of pointed out, a 1 lane motorway because of lorries overtaking then that person is going to think "bloody morris minor clogging up the roads" other people will think that same. before we know it everyone thinks that all they do is clog up the roads.

No need to get personal to Bmcecosse by picking on his country, and his 'small minded comments' are very similar if not the same of many others on the forum. Bmcecosse is one of our regular users and he has every right to comment on a thread that you also have done. I am sure that he is not picking on you.

You are not doing anything wrong at all, and I don't care what you do, but people are trying to say that you personal views are possibly selfish and unsafe to other road users.

Cup of tea anyone?
Last edited by LouiseM on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of personal comments from copied quote

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Kingdick - Your unwarranted and very personal comments against me have again been reported to the Mods. I'm sure you have been warned about this in the past.....
ImageImage
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

bmcecosse wrote:Kingdick - Your unwarranted and very personal comments against me have again been reported to the Mods. I'm sure you have been warned about this in the past.....
Your comment has also been reported for using an innapropiate word.
The innapropiate language I find completely uncalled for, and I have never used such language against yourself.

Many on this forum see anyone opposing you as a major 'crime' as you are an active member of the forum. Your answers aint gospel, and just because you are such an active member doesnt make you right.

I wont be posting on this forum again. It appears that the few, but active members that use this forum have their own little 'click' and are quite quick to call other peoples driving dangerous etc to back up a fellow member.

You may have your fellow supporters (in the masses I believe on this forum) backing you up and demonising me (again), but never mind.

This is to be my last post, tbh I have better things to do than defend myself everytime on this forum.
Last edited by LouiseM on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removal of personal comments
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

BMC might have been thinking of Abingdon's fine range of tools

I feel another locked thread coming on... sigh :cry:
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

I think that the word 'kingdick' is probably mistaken for kingzdjc-not an insult as such, but a mere mistake.

There has been many arguments involving BMC about coils and the like, and many people still disagree with him. All I can see here is someone else saying their view, not bullying you. But getting the forum personal is wrong, and I think that you seem to pick on BMC the moment he writes a thing.

Sorry that you don't want to be here, but manybe you should stay and have a tougher skin?

As JowettJavelin has said I imagaine this thread will be locked.
Regards
Chris

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I thought the name was hilarious :D I've still got a few King Dick spanners, I also knew a guy called Dick King! Think I've beaten the locked thread

plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I for one won't miss you kingzdjc - goodbye.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ooops - sorry king**** whatever your name is - I was indeed thinking of the range of tools......if the name fits.....consider it yours. I was led to believe this thread had been closed? :-?
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

The reported posts were closed and various messages edited. Hopefully there won't be any more personal comments posted to necessitate closing the thread.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Out of interest, what is the maximum speed folks have seen in Minors? Mine will sit at 70 all day if I want to and has gone faster with a good wind blowing! It is quite happy to roll along at 60 though. I have only driven the 1098 Minors, none of the other engines.