Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cruising speed ?

Post by chrisryder »

I once got the needle over the IGN on the speedo. Which probably equates to 95mph, but that was downhill.

That was when the car was fairly standard besides the 1.5 inch carb and 1.5 inch exhaust.

There was no telling how accurate the speedo was at that speed though.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

When my throttle return spring snapped in the outside lane, passing a line of traffic - it went very very fast indeed until I was able to pull into a gap and then onto the shoulder before braking and switching off....... I won't say just how fast..... :lol: :roll:
ImageImage
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Oh well BMC, they need a good blowout sometimes!

Other drivers attitudes sometimes grate though. I can be doing 60 on a 60 road and at some point will have some pillock an inch from the back bumper, you just know that if it was a "modern" car I was driving they would not feel the need to hound me and overtake dangerously. Its even worse in the Pig, then again they don't get past that so easily.. :D :D :D
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

And after they have passed you, they then drive slower than you were in the first place. We have them here too.

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Roni wrote:And after they have passed you, they then drive slower than you were in the first place. We have them here too.
That's because we have to be taught a lesson for driving slower than them!
timlyon
Minor Friendly

Post by timlyon »

Personally I like to use the Traveller for all journeys that do not involve motorways. This is simply because I do have problems with slow moving vehicles on motorways that cause sudden overtaking and because I hate driving an elderly vehicle on roads that it was never designed to use. I enjoy driving my Minor on A & B roads and as more and more have 50MPH limits I can trundle along happy in the knowledge that if people overtake they are breaking the law and I am not stressing myself or my dear old car.
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

A 'G' reg traveller should easily cope on motorways. 1098 engine was fitted to the BMC 1100 range, Austin A40, Allegro and these are hardly back road cars. Will cruise at 60-65 no probs.

I agree though it is sometimes better to use A roads if you're not in a hurry.
timlyon
Minor Friendly

Post by timlyon »

You are right and in the past I have enjoyed the engine in both Minors,1100s and my A40. I have a suspicion that the sound proofing was better in the 1100 and, in fairness, it was a new car! I think that great thing about the Minor is its handling. I am surrounded by country roads and so know the 'racing line' round most corners and the speeds at which that 'ROG' will happily take them. It amuses me to be harassed by a modern car along a straight that suddenly drops right back as we negotiate a corner using the old 'slow in, fast out' technique. Why sit droning along on a motorway when you can be having fun going around corners and having people smile and wave as you drive through towns?!
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Indeed! :D My life is too hectic though.
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Rather envious reading this as I dont have a Minor on the road at present! I always find them happy at 50mph, speedo pointing straight up and bowling through some nice bends!
Andy Rose
Minor Friendly

Post by Andy Rose »

Yes, 50 is the go :-) I've just fitted a small tachometer , hidden just under the drivers side glove box, and 50 is 2800RPM, so it sounds very busy, but in fact is just taking it easy.. 8)
Life is better in a Morrie
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Andy Rose wrote:Magic :D Thanks very much for the info.. So with my 4.55 dif I should be doing 15MPH per 1000, so at a nerve racking 60 MPH I'm only doing 4000 RPM..and even for my old girl it's not too destructive. Most of the city roads around here are 50MPH and that is only 3500, so no problems at all. The diff has a fair amount of free play, but is quiet in operation. My plan will be, when the diff starts to get too noisey I will put a 4.22 from a sedan in place of the original 4.55.. Thanks again all..
60 MPH is fine and not too slow a speed for the Motorway.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

As I've virtually finished my van I've been using it now and then and was quite surprised how nippy it is, maybe motorway travel would be a different story, although around town it's fine. Makes me wonder if the 1275 engine I've been getting ready is really worth it.

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

les wrote:As I've virtually finished my van I've been using it now and then and was quite surprised how nippy it is, maybe motorway travel would be a different story, although around town it's fine. Makes me wonder if the 1275 engine I've been getting ready is really worth it.
Ah but then you could go for a different diff to retain the current nippiness, but improve motorway cruising and fuel economy...
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well that was my thinking when I bought the bigger engine but do now wonder if the difference will be that significant, motorways do not feature big in my everyday motoring. Also one thing leads to another, brakes for example. I've not ruled it out yet but it has made me think!

Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

les wrote: Also one thing leads to another, brakes for example.
I have a 1275 in my saloon, and have recently replaced the brakes with the standard 8" drum setup as per the 1098. They work very well as long as they are maintained. In my opinion they do not need upgrading for the larger engine unless you will be planning on driving at silly speeds. (OK, I used to when I had a Mk 2 Golf GTi 8v....!) If you are travelling at 70mph with a 1098 under the bonnet, do you really need to upgrade if you are going to be travelling at 70 with a 1275 in place?
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You might be forgetting insurance obligations! :-?

Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

My insurers are aware and completely ok with it :)
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
timlyon
Minor Friendly

Post by timlyon »

About 42 years ago, at the age of 16, I bought a 1953 convertible for under £10. Out came the old side-valve and in went an 'A' series engine, gearbox and prop shaft that I got from a scrap yard for about £15. Could have come out of anything! Yes, I know that the cross member behind the engine gets in the way. A sledge hammer remodeled it. New brakes, an MOT and off I went. The gearing was ridiculous, axle tramp in first but took off like a rocket in 2nd, flat out at 50 mph. I drove it for some 15,000 miles including a 900 mile round trip from Bristol to Northern Ireland with three passengers and all our luggage in 10 days. Ah. the confidence of youth!!
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Happy days!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"