Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Hello! Newbie looking for advice/support please

Post by CherryPeeks »

Hi everyone!

I've just joined the club after reading the message board posts for quite some time and have seen the great advice you have been giving to newbies like me!

I am a bit of a petrolhead, having been brought up in the 70s and 80s with a dad who always had his head under the bonnet of one car or another, and have owned a few interesting cars in the past including a '76 MGB GT and, more recently, a Nissan Skyline GTR (owned for 7 years and still sorely missed!). Now driving an ultra reliable Golf, but have the familiar craving for something a little bit different again. :D

My dad bought my mum a Morris Minor 1000 in the early 80s, but being 5' 2", she found it hard to see over the steering wheel and refused to drive it! Our chickens ending up living in it (which is criminal!) before he eventually sold it to someone who lovingly restored it.

I have wanted a Traveller for a while now, and am now in a position to buy one with a budget of £3500 - £4000 (at the moment!). Ideally I would like one that didn't need any immediate work wood/welding etc. but I realise my budget is not huge. I intend to improve my very basic knowledge and learn to maintain the car myself (with support from dad), leaving the important stuff to the pros of course!

I will definitely need some advice on finding the Traveller for me.....I know I will need to be patient (not my strong point!) and wait for the right one to come along! I just hope I can find the one I want for the money I have...

:D
Emma
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Hello! Newbie looking for advice/support please

Post by mike.perry »

PM sent
[sig]3580[/sig]
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

Hello Mike!

No pm showing - unless I'm doing something wrong!

Emma
x
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Hi and welcome,
There are lots of people on here who will give advice and information, possibly come along and view with you if needed. For me it about looking for one that is fairly local so you can have a good look and ask lots of questions before deciding. What part of the world are you living in?, This one in Cardiff may be worth looking at (nothing to do with me tho) if your not to far away. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor- ... 3f1acbd729

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Just posted it
[sig]3580[/sig]
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

Thanks welshrat! I'm in Folkestone, Kent...but can travel if the car seems worth it.

I've got a bit to learn and am trying to do my research....I think I'd like an Almond Green Series II....

x
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

Just looked at the one you suggested welshrat and it's certainly interesting! Thank you x
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the forum - plenty of good advice and encouragement on here. You need to realise that a Traveller really needs covered storage if it's to survive. Do you have that?
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Series 2 Travellers are extremely rare for sale, 1953-56, the colour would be Empire Green, Almond Green came later and the original engines were 803cc, but don't let me discourage you
The one on ebay looks very attractive, blue looks good on a Traveller but it is already at your stated budget and I expect that it will go higher.
The Traveller in Reading is not up to that standard and as stated would appreciate some TLC, but it is sound and within your budget
[sig]3580[/sig]
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Welcome to the forum Emma. Good luck with finding the right car.

CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

Thank you everyone!

Re: cover - I don't have a garage, but my dad lives in the same village and does. I am building a car port that would be very sheltered on all sides in my enclosed garden, and would be really interested in any advice in the best sort of weatherproof cover for the car if anyone has any?

Thanks for the advice re models - I have a lot to learn about such things! So if I wanted the 1098 engine in an almond green traveller would that be possible? I do love British racing green too (again, if that's possible?).

I can handle minor tlc (no pun intended) if it means getting my ideal traveller within my budget....so if tidying up a seat isn't to complex/expensive I wouldn't mind! I just can't afford to buy the car and immediately spend lots of money. I expect to invest in the car in the long term though and hope to keep/bring it up to an excellent standard.

I hope I'm being realistic, and you aren't all raising your eyebrows at another dreamer! Haha :oops:

Thanks again :D

Emma
X
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

Does this sound too good to be true?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C318896

x
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It looks good to me! Battle it down to £2000 with a full tank of petrol and an oil change/ service and a NEW MOT!! Never buy without a NEW MOT.
ImageImage
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

Thanks bmcecosse!

My father-out-law is a second hand car dealer and lives near Thirsk - I might ask him to go and have a look for me.....

x
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Welcome to the madhouse! I must say that Traveller does look promising, make sure its good underneath though! Travellers are wonderfully useful cars, you will soon be carting stuff about in one!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

It looks ok - passenger seats needs re-webbing - easy task you could do yourself. all the bits needed available from a morris suppliers.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

Thanks you StaffsMoggie! I've set my father-out-law and his police sergeant son onto it - they wouldn't try and swiz an officer of the law, would they? :lol:

x
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Well one would hope not! Good luck with the car if you buy it, if not don't worry, there are plenty more Moggies about.
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

:D
CherryPeeks
Minor Fan

Post by CherryPeeks »

And thank you ASL642 - missed your reply in the list - great news, thanks :D