Would you buy a 'new' body shell if they were available?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Would you buy a 'new' body shell if they were available?

Post by chrisryder »

There's been discussion about production of reconditioned body shells here http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/about6208.html

Wondered what people 'over here' thought about it. It'd be along the same lines as a 'reshell' like you can do with new body shells from British Motor Heritage for MGB's and the like.

To this sort of standard:

But without the modified battery box and chassis strengthening kit (unless you ask for it).
Matt
Minor Legend

Re: Would you buy a 'new' body shell if they were available?

Post by Matt »

I would (dependant on price! - if they were 10k maybe not)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
trigger1
Minor Friendly

Post by trigger1 »

This is an interesting idea, price dependant, would a soft top shell also be available?
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

trigger1 wrote:This is an interesting idea, price dependant, would a soft top shell also be available?
It's discussed on that thread too. There's talk of supplying converted convertible shells.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I suggested some time ago that convertible shells would be the simplest to produce - since no roof. And that MMOC should get involved in making it happen, But no-one really seemed to fancy the idea. It is NEVER legal to rebuild your car with a 'reconditioned' shell - the shell always retains the identity. Only NEW shells can be used. Obviously the Traveller shell wouldn't be too difficult to make either - just the small cab roof section required, and the Pick-up of course!
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Like others, yes, definitely interested subject to price. I'd vote for Traveller and 2-door saloon, but that's just being selfish.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

If these were available they should only be sold if the car they are going to re-condition has been written off Cat B in an accident (i.e. the body shell is too distorted and can never go back on the road).

Otherwise would be cheaper and easier to restore your car with new panels!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

chickenjohn wrote:Otherwise would be cheaper and easier to restore your car with new panels!
I think the target market is people who can't do it themselves... Whether they're lacking the ability, facilities, time, or the neighbours prepared to put up with angle grinding at all hours.
MrDodo
Minor Friendly

Post by MrDodo »

Slightly off subject but might be interested in a "winter hard top" for a convertible, subject to price. Do such things exist already?
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

bmcecosse wrote:I suggested some time ago that convertible shells would be the simplest to produce - since no roof. And that MMOC should get involved in making it happen, But no-one really seemed to fancy the idea. It is NEVER legal to rebuild your car with a 'reconditioned' shell - the shell always retains the identity. Only NEW shells can be used. Obviously the Traveller shell wouldn't be too difficult to make either - just the small cab roof section required, and the Pick-up of course!
My understanding from reading the other site is that the shell would come with its original documentation. You would in fact be legally restoring the other car using parts from yours.

Whether your shell gets an exchange value in the equation I don't know.

If you can't weld, or don't want to, it makes building up a nice car much more practical, less mucky and financially controllable. How many times do we see the phrase from someone's restoration,

"... and then I pulled back the underseal/fibreglass/filler/pie tins and found no floor/sills/spring hangers..."

But in the end it depends on price. Can it be done cheaper than being patient and waiting for a really nice car to come along at the right price.
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

MrDodo wrote:Slightly off subject but might be interested in a "winter hard top" for a convertible, subject to price. Do such things exist already?
I was thinking the very same thing myself while driving home the other night, there are plenty of hard tops around for other convertibles, anyone know if its been attempted?

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Go old school and get a good blanket to cover the legs and a Russian-front style hat. I'm sure in the old days a good whiskey would have gone down to keep the cold out too! :o
MrDodo
Minor Friendly

Post by MrDodo »

The hard-top wasn't for my benefit (I bought a sheepskin "flying-helmet" at the Goodwood Revival to keep me warm in winter) the shell was to provide a little extra protection for Dodo from the elements :)
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

welshrat wrote:
MrDodo wrote:Slightly off subject but might be interested in a "winter hard top" for a convertible, subject to price. Do such things exist already?
I was thinking the very same thing myself while driving home the other night, there are plenty of hard tops around for other convertibles, anyone know if its been attempted?

You used to be able to purchase an aluminium hardtop for an MM series convertible when they were current. Back in the day they were around £80.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

You used to be able to purchase an aluminium hardtop for an MM series convertible when they were current. Back in the day they were around £80.

Pete

I have been interested in moggies and owned a rag top for 30 years, first time I have heard there were hardtops available (not the 1st day of April is it?). Have any survived or any pictures available?

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

My feeling is that there are still plenty of sound enough cars around and that Minors aren't rare enough to warrant the expense of a new shell.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

taupe wrote:Welshrat

Have a look at this link

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 15#p252648
Thank you, I have opened a new thread as felt I was hijacking this one. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46970