Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
biffa
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Morris Minor everyday only car?

Post by biffa »

Hi all,

My name is Rob, I'm currently 20 years old and live in West Yorkshire. I currently own a 306 cabriolet 1.8s, my first car april last year was a 79 triumph dolomite 1300 (so not completely new to sitting at a steady 50mph and using backroads more than the motorway). I'm seriously considering selling the cabriolet (had it 4 months :-? ) and getting a series 3 morris minor 1098 to use everyday in all weathers. I don't have garage access and will be parked on the drive in all weather's too.
I'm capable of servicing and greasing the required points (having read all the guides available thanks to this club!!) :)
and of course if using all year round when the weather is good, cleaning the underside and wheel arches and such and re-applying waxoyl and cavity wax to keep the winter salt away as much as possible.

The insurance is the biggest thing for me. Come April (when insurance is up for renewal, day after my birthday) the Cabriolet will still be costing me over 1k with 2 years ncb covering 5k miles per year, not used for commuting etc with a £300 excess. (with mother on the policy as additional driver) so is as low as possible.

If insurance on a minor can be obtained for around £500ish fully comp per year I will certainly be able to get one and wave goodbye to modern cars. (they are nice but... over complicated, expensive to tax, and expensive to insure...
I've always liked classic cars and thinking back, it was easier to drive the classics everyday (dolomite and mk2 fiesta).
the history also intrigues me too, growing up the 90's i missed all the good stuff! :lol:

at present it looks like I won't be using the car everyday as I'll only be working 5 minutes down the road, so will be parked on the driveway and used only on days off and car shows.

is it seriously worth considering? cutting all my costs, having a car i really like and should it ever go wrong I can fix myself with little fuss and straightforward simplicity. Where I can start attending classic car shows again and be part of it with my relatives and friends again..

Thanks in advance

rob
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Re: Morris Minor everyday only car?

Post by Fingolfin »

Hi Rob, good to see more young blood on the forum. If you have a Facebook account, go look for the MMOC Young Members group on there and join up -- we get into great trouble! :lol: I intend to use my Mog as my sole "everyday" car when it's done, and moreover it will be my very first car (though I've plenty of experience with other people's cars). I can say firsthand that a Morris Minor is well worth your consideration -- they are extraordinarily simple and tough, and what does go wrong can be easily fixed (except in a few isolated cases).
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Rob,
Mines an everyday car kept outside, so it can be done, you just have to keep up with the rust protection / prevention.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
tunnyx
Minor Friendly

Post by tunnyx »

hi Rob

Having just been quoted £950 for my 17 year old lad I can't see how you wouldnt be able to get it cheaper. As for everyday use, it all depends on whether you stay stock or not. Fitting an altenator will probably help with day to day use during winter and you'll need to convert to neg earth to use new equipment in it (ipod/stereo for example). Other than that they're simply fun to drive.

Oh, dont forget they're a bit of a babe magnet - expect to be giving lifts quite a bit!
biffa
Minor Friendly

Post by biffa »

Thanks for the quick replies folks :)

I've just applied to join the facebook group! - filled out the membership form thats required for joining the facebook group too.

The simplicity really appeals to me and if it can be used everyday, It sounds like the perfect car for me! I love just pottering about and setting off early and taking a nice steady drive to get to places as i like driving (why cut it short? make it last longer lol)

Thanks for the info on the negative earth, I had quickly read about that in the guides, will be a learning experience :D

When I bought the 306 cabriolet people said that would be a babe magnet, ya know "top down..." lol nope.
If the insurance works out then it's on the cards really. if your 17 year old son got quoted that. It should be fairly reasonable I would imagine. :)

Thanks again

rob
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

Hi Rob
Definitely an option as an every day car if you don't mind keeping up with servicing, which is straightforward. If it's to be kept outside, I'd recommend the saloon rather than a traveller or convertible. They are really best kept under cover.
Dom.
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
Windy Pig
Minor Friendly

Post by Windy Pig »

Alright Rob,

definitely worth doing. I've got a 59 saloon, sits on the drive in all weathers, drive it once or twice a week at most. As you say, a bit of upkeep is neccesary, but it's great fun to learn it all. I'm a little older than you, 25 now, but 24 when I took the insurance out, and even after a rather large claim from a motorcycle accident, and having only passed my test the day before taking out the policy, got it for just over 500 quid, versus nearly 2grand for a modern 1.2. admittedly mines a 948cc, but if you have 2 years no claims I'm sure it'll be good.
Look out for add ons by previous owners is my only advice, the only problem I've had the whole year apart from tackling rust, and a few bad earths on the electrics, was a poorly fitted oil pressure gauge that was spitting oil all over everything, very frustrating.

also I didn't know there was a young mmoc, do I still qualify at 25? I'll have a look.
ImageMy little Moggie
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Minors are fine for daily use. I used mine as my only car for 8 years or so. As said, keep the maintenance and waxoyling up and replace any leaking rubbers, a Minor that is wet inside is not a nice car to sit in!
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

that's really good advice about the rubbers especially the door seals ,

i recommend the modern ones if its going to keep on raining like it has recently,

my moggie was out side for the last 18 months with no problems,good luck :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
biffa
Minor Friendly

Post by biffa »

Thank you all for your kind replies. :)

My younger brother who is soon to be 17 is also showing a great interest in potential minor ownership too. Which will be nice, both travelling together in our minor's to attend a show :lol:
Wonder what the neighbors would think :lol:

Thanks again :)

rob