Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mmjosh
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

engine

Post by mmjosh »

hi all i wondered as my 1098cc engine is not working properly i wondered i am looking for a bigger engine but i was wondering what engine could i fit without altering too much to the chassis

cheers josh

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: engine

Post by chrisryder »

what's wrong with the 1098?

Easiest engine to fit is another 1098! Next easiest would be a midget or marina/ital 1275. Anything other than that isn't going to be straight forward on a budget.
mmjosh
Minor Legend

Post by mmjosh »

the 1275 head is leaking water into the engine then i changed it back to a 1098cc head and the same has happened again,i had plans of a bigger engine at a later date but i thought i might as well put one in now,i was thinking of a ford crossflow engine but wondered if there is any other engines with less modifying to the chassis

cheers josh

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Well that to me doesn't merit an engine change, have you checked the gasket or examined the head face?
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

Crossflow doesn't need any chassis alterations Josh, just a notch to the bellhousing to clear the steering rack. Obviously you need to consider changing the axle and brakes before dropping in a larger engine :wink:
Bash's Speed Shop
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
1275cc Midget engine is a straight swap, plus it looks standard with a single carb fitted, though I'd increase the SU to 1 1/2 inch with corresponding manifold and slightly larger bore exhaust, even sits on the same engine mounts and will give you plenty of power for the Moggy.
Of course it depends what look you are after as well.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just fix the problem with the 1098. Which head gasket did you use?
ImageImage