Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
EwenCameron
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Petrol Prices

Post by EwenCameron »

The price of petrol needs to come down. My local garage was £1.42 tonight. Not looking forward to filling the car for the 800 mile trip for the National on top of all the other Events I had planned on.
What do you think the price will be by the summer?

Dean
Minor Legend

Re: Petrol Prices

Post by Dean »

I don't claim to now what price it will be.... but I can have a good guess as to the way it will head!

If we found a way of powering our cars on fresh air, it wouldn't be long before a heavy tax was laden onto it.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Noticed a headline on the net today ,petrol heading for record levels ,blaming falling pound :-? :evil:
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
Audrey1955
Minor Friendly

Post by Audrey1955 »

The government will still increase fuel duty, despite the wholesale price. They know that everyone needs to use cars, and the economy relies on it (trucks etc) so the motorist is a cash cow for them.

I tire of hearing that they need the taxes for the defecit etc etc, yet no one dares mention the fact that this country is the 4th in the world when it comes to spending on its military, and the billions spent on foreign wars. Oh, and the large sums of money sent overseas to the likes of India that has its own space programme? :o

In the 70s, 80s, people protested in the masses. Nowadays, no one blinks. Then again, not suprised with all the drugs in our drinking water etc. We have all become almost like zombies now, taking whatever excuse they give us to raise taxes.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

You cant do a thing about the price of petrol.
So the way I see it is you must economise elsewhere.
Last night I was invited to a local bash where the beer was reduced for one night only to £1.50 a pint, this means of course the more you drink the more you save.
Therefore it is reasonable to quaff as much of the landlords finest as possible, at a gentlemanly pace of course.
The sums are easy, every pint supped saves at least £1.00 (regional variations apply) so in supping 6 pints £6.00 was placed in the rear pocket, therefore logic states that I now have £6.00 more to spend on petrol.
I can make no claims on originality here, this is my good ladys logic when purchasing shoes and of course matching bags,it means though I apparently have 6 additional British pounds to spend on fuel......simples.
Where angels fear to tread
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Great logic moggie :lol: :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Only 133.9 at the Esso places in Hamilton and Stonehouse. ALWAYS buy the cheapest - DO NOT support the rip off places with high prices. BP always seems to be higher than anywhere else.. The DEAREST petrol in Scotland is the BP garage in Bo'ness - right next door to the refinery in Grangemouth!
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

In the 70s, 80s, people protested in the masses.
I think people have realised that the MP's (of whatever political colour - though they're two sides of the same coin these days) don't take any notice of /don't care what we think anyway.
Didn't Tony Blair say as much when we had the last fuel price protests!? :evil:
So people don't waste their energy anymore.
Of course this could also be a reason behind the falling turn out come election times, when they desperately try to suck up to us, so they can stay in office and hang onto their fat salaries for (mis)representing us................ :evil:

Roll on the revolution!................ :roll: :wink:
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I forsee a price war at the supermarket pumps shortly :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They were queued down the road today at Sainsburys....and not even particularly low price.... Perhaps they have heard that the Tanker Driver strike is still on. I would panic buy - but my tank is full....... :roll: :lol:
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I have heard that the drivers that deliver for the main ones are at war with the new private ones .At night you see plain white tankers with petrol delivery on them which has to be on them by law delivering to the mainly Asian owned stations by Asian drivers :-?
santadawes
Minor Addict

Post by santadawes »

I have noticed the rise over the last few days too.....
I now get my petrol from local supermarkets. .... Back in the 1970' they use to say "put a tiger in your tank"....Now with all the fuss in the meat in supermarkets I am tempted to put a "My little poney" through my pump....

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

:lol: :lol: neigh lad
crossst01

Post by crossst01 »

I imagine it's just one of those things that follows a cyclic pattern. It gets harder and harder for the younger drivers (presumably still building careers/learning) and it will continue until nobody can afford to drive, public transport becomes oversubscribed, the unemployment rates continue to rise and nobody buys any of the horrendous tin euro-boxes anymore. At which point due to the lack of demand petrol prices will drop. Better get undersealing, these minors will need to be laid up while the highest paid idiots continue to eradicate any hint of a healthy economy... Anyway I suppose they've not noticed yet if there's money to be spent on the military fighting for what's rapidly declining now. Wouldn't have thought I'd get the word declining in a rant about petrol prices !
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

£1.47 at most of our local garages
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

My filling records show that only 4 years ago it was 85p a litre.
AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

you must be really lucky with your local filling stations then

The price then kept climbing through 2009
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

the unemployment rates continue to rise and nobody buys any of the horrendous tin euro-boxes anymore. At which point due to the lack of demand petrol prices will drop.
The Chinese buy more cars than anyone else now.. The global sale of cars will continue to rise during my lifetime..
Fuel prices are unlikely to have any significant drop.

Don't believe the hype about climate change - in this country household energy (heating etc..) produces more CO2 than transport, yet transport fuel is taxed 5 or 10 times more heavily. Cars are made far more expensive by regulation (EU4...5...6) but no equivalent big push for triple glazing & decent insulation into existing housing stock.

What we need more of is energy efficient houses, but we're desperately building hundreds of thousands of mediocre houses that will help ruin the country (when energy costs really rise) over the next 100 years.

The cost of fuel does have some benefit - if it was still 35p a litre (like it was when I was driving my first Minor) then there would be so much traffic it would be quicker to walk everywhere!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

if it was still 35p a litre
Aaaahhhhhh..................... those were the days!
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes and we would still be earning 50 quid a week :D :D