Footman James problem. No access to another vehicle.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Footman James problem. No access to another vehicle.

Post by liammonty »

Footman James managed to lose my business on 3 Minors and a VW Camper, as they were just so much more expensive than others (and yes, I do have the same level of cover with my new insurer, as that is their usual excuse for their higher prices). This was after 15 years of being insured with them (well, Bain Hogg before they became FJ). My premium increased by 50% in 2 years, despite not having moved house or made any claims. Unfortunately, at the grand old age of 36, I don't qualify as a 'young member', so no help there. I'm glad that they are helpful to young owners, but it would be nice if they also looked after those who have faithfully paid their premiums for donkeys years too.

From what I've seen, I think that Dave works hard to help out with FJ insurance issues, but what seems a shame is that he so often has to get involved, as seemingly the folks in the office at FJ are simply not aware of what products they are supposed to offer, frequently misquoting prices etc. Why does he have to step in so often to help?!

Re club members getting a discount- I don't think there's anything the matter with thaper set - it's a really good benefit of being a member, and is certainly not unique to the MMOC! What would be nice would be for the MMOC (of which I have also been a member for a very long time) made more effort to ensure that their members actually got a better deal on like-for-like insurance through their club policy, not end up paying significantly more! And I know they have made arrangements for young members, which I applaud. When I was under 30, however, there was no such arrangement, and now I'm over 30 there isn't either!!!
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

When Footman James was owned by PeterJames it was a good company to insure classic vehicles with.
You could meet him at classic car shows promoting his business at the time.

He sold the company to a large insurance concern which trade under the old name.Lost is that personal approach.

In the past I would phone and they knew who I was,no call centre style in those days.

When Peter James set up" Peter James Insurance",you must have seen the adverts in magazines with him and Sterling Moss, I switched my multi vehicle policy over to his new company.
A Morris Minor Traveller valued at say £5,000 costs me about another £40.00 per year fully comp.

What I like is that you phone a number,a person answers the phone,I give them my name and straight away they know who I am and all the vehicles that are insured through them.
If I sell a vehicle and purchase another I just give them a call,delete one vehicle off my policy add the other one,and its done straight away.5 minute call.

No long phone calls asking about my personal profile,like a lot of companies now days,no pressing buttons on the phone switch pad to get to the right dept,no silly quotes either.

They even do a laid up vehicle policy,when you are either restoring a vehicle or its off the road sorned.
As the restoration progresses you simply give them a call and increase the value of your vehicle.
This is worth doing just in case the vehicle catches fire,is vandalised or stolen during restoration work.
I know people who have spent thousands on restoring a vehicle,had the vehicle stolen or parts stolen but were not insured.

Morris Mike

Morris Mike
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Modified.
Austin 6cwt Van 1972. Teal Blue
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Original
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
What else is lurking behind those open doors.?.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well i did reinsure with FJthis year
but i amafaid they wil losee next year if they dnt come in line with othr companies
i rang a dozen companies and they were the most expensve by far for the same cover
exept R&H who do class i added
Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

I had exactly the same problem!
The first question I was asked after what car I was looking to insure was 'is this your only vehicle?' After I replied 'no' they flatly refused to insure me and wouldn't speak any more about it. Now I know...
1965 2Dr - She's called Lola

Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

Tudge wrote:I had exactly the same problem!
The first question I was asked after what car I was looking to insure was 'is this your only vehicle?' After I replied 'no' they flatly refused to insure me and wouldn't speak any more about it. Now I know...
Hi Tudge

You have PM

There is NO requiremement for you to own an additional everyday vehicle if the classic you are wanting to insure is a Morris Minor.

If you have phoned us for a quote and were wanting to insure a Moggie then please PM the details I have asked for and i'll pick this up with the member of staff persoanlly. All calls are recorded so i can listen to the call and offer retraining if necessary

Best regards

Dave
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

drivewasher wrote:Why the hell should it matter wether an insuree is a member or not on the type of cover they can obtain.
It all smells a bit old boys club and clicky!
Nothing wrong with perks, we all get them, if you run a business there are plenty of discounts available, as one example and rail travel if you work for the railway, you may even get free pencils if you are unfortunate enough to work in an office, the list goes on. :D