Cornbury Park - Catering Vans or the lack of!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cornbury Park - Catering Vans or the lack of!

Post by dalebrignall »

i agree get the local wi to do the catering for our next national rally,
[sig]5641[/sig]
pgc520
Minor Fan

Post by pgc520 »

All,

I am sorry that we had problems with the catering at Cornbury.

Catering was booked 18months ago and they were providing 2/3 units. Food certificates were obtained and sent to the council in April etc. We do not take a fee up front but a contribution based on turnover from the weekend.

5 weeks before the event the booked Caterer pulled out due to personal circumstances, leaving a big hole. I had been approached by "Creative Catering Express" earlier in the year and approached them to see if they could help. They were able to provide a "Jumbo" unit which I was assured would be more than capable of dealing with the expected volume. I can assure you I updated them with the expected numbers, but they ignored this in terms of food and freezers capacity etc. Then when they arrived on site I have never been so disappointed, with "Stanley and crew". The rest as they say is history, they packed up and left at about 15.00 on Saturday. I have never met a caterer who walked away from so much trade. We were very fortunate to get a replacement at such short notice.

Fortunately we had brought in additional suppliers ie the Great Cheese Company and the Posh Coffee stall and the Bar to see us though.

For next year we will arrange to have a range of wagons selling foods.

I hope this explains the situation.

Andrew
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by alexandermclaren »

pgc520 wrote:All,

I am sorry that we had problems with the catering at Cornbury.

Catering was booked 18months ago and they were providing 2/3 units. Food certificates were obtained and sent to the council in April etc. We do not take a fee up front but a contribution based on turnover from the weekend.

5 weeks before the event the booked Caterer pulled out due to personal circumstances, leaving a big hole. I had been approached by "Creative Catering Express" earlier in the year and approached them to see if they could help. They were able to provide a "Jumbo" unit which I was assured would be more than capable of dealing with the expected volume. I can assure you I updated them with the expected numbers, but they ignored this in terms of food and freezers capacity etc. Then when they arrived on site I have never been so disappointed, with "Stanley and crew". The rest as they say is history, they packed up and left at about 15.00 on Saturday. I have never met a caterer who walked away from so much trade. We were very fortunate to get a replacement at such short notice.

Fortunately we had brought in additional suppliers ie the Great Cheese Company and the Posh Coffee stall and the Bar to see us though.

For next year we will arrange to have a range of wagons selling foods.

I hope this explains the situation.

Andrew
thanks Andrew
the work load you and your team were working under to produce this event deserves a lot of praise indeed a very big applause and thank you from us all
thank you again for a great weekend

Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

I have been involved with organising events since I was a child (my parents did this). I understand the hard work involved,nobody is denying this. :D

Different styles of events require designing around a whole package that the participants and visiting public can enjoy.

An event say aimed at the modified and custom vehicle scene (one took place locally recently) would be planned totally differently to say a Morris Minor annual rally.

The average age and expectations of the participants would be totally different so the venue,camping areas, entertainment,trade village,visiting celebrities and food outlets would be planned out in tottaly different ways.

This topic is dealing with the catering side of the event.

The Morris Minor enthusiast by pure essence is a special breed. Are you serious in saying "Some more Waggons" will be booked for next years event.

Do Morris Minor owners want waggons.?

I certainly do not,that is why I will arrive at the event in my Morris Minor van and my wife in her Morris Minor Traveller,I will be looking for a venue,vehicles,facilities,trade stalls,catering and entertainment that fulfills my day out in my iconic 1950`s/1960`s motor car.

If I want a more modern day out akin to today`s living,then I will take my track or modified car to a race circuit or speed event and join a long queue to dine out next to a "Burger Van .... or Waggon,with obligatory generator thumping away " Drink insipid tea from plastic or polystyrene cups and eat my delicious burger from a paper plate.

M M
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Modified.
Austin 6cwt Van 1972. Teal Blue
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Original
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
What else is lurking behind those open doors.?.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Personally I cater for myself at events such as these (possibly in a group of friends)

BUT there will be demand for most types of food, be it burgers from the van, cake from the WI or evening meals at the pub!

I have to say I think the best pizza I have ever had came from a catering van! (Stonebaked cooked while you waited!)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The people/firms that do catering these days use the modern vans. They have the space and are purpose built to house deep fat fryers grills etc and have the necessary extractors required by the food hygiene laws.

Nice "period" vans may be more in keeping with a Morris Rally but would not be big enough. Perhaps a Morris Minor Ice Cream van (if one is still working - I have never seen one)

I personally think you have to think "modern" when it comes to the toilet facilities and the food outlets.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
JPX877J
Minor Fan

Post by JPX877J »

Barely any catering vans? They were all at Download where I was :P

Seriously though, this sounds like a poor no show from the caterers. If I had known your plight, I'd have spared you a thought when eating my pork sandwich/ostrich burger/fish and chips etc
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

ASL642 wrote:The people/firms that do catering these days use the modern vans. They have the space and are purpose built to house deep fat fryers grills etc and have the necessary extractors required by the food hygiene laws.

Nice "period" vans may be more in keeping with a Morris Rally but would not be big enough. Perhaps a Morris Minor Ice Cream van (if one is still working - I have never seen one)

I personally think you have to think "modern" when it comes to the toilet facilities and the food outlets.
May not be "Minor" but is certainly a Morris - seen at the RHS Gardens, Wisley on 14/04/2012[frame]Image[/frame]
Date of Liability 01 03 2014
Date of First Registration 31 12 1953
Year of Manufacture 1953
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1477cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BROWN
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

The "modern" DLVA colour descriptors are way off the mark :-?
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

What a great find the van is lovely
jollyroger
Minor Fan

Post by jollyroger »

Hi folks,

Just took these photos in the park while walking the dog this morning. Catering vans for a certain parade in Coatbridge today. Maybe the sign of things to come at the rallies!

[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame]
[img][/img]
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

HORRIBLE :evil:

I would rather stay at home .
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Modified.
Austin 6cwt Van 1972. Teal Blue
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Original
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
What else is lurking behind those open doors.?.
kattweaver
Minor Friendly

Post by kattweaver »

Hello all,

I'd love to be considered if this is happening again next year! Morris event with tea and coffee from a Morris Traveller :D

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Katt, this is being discussed, will get back to you ASAP. Simon
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

please forgive my ignorance ,but what's to discuss?,Kate's coffee is lovely ,great discussion point etc.

especially after this years events
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Another vote for Kate's coffee.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

+1 Can't be many caterers coming on here offering their services and one of us too.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

gtt1951 wrote:
ASL642 wrote:The people/firms that do catering these days use the modern vans. They have the space and are purpose built to house deep fat fryers grills etc and have the necessary extractors required by the food hygiene laws.

May not be "Minor" but is certainly a Morris - seen at the RHS Gardens, Wisley on 14/04/2012[frame]Image[/frame]
Date of Liability 01 03 2014
Date of First Registration 31 12 1953
Year of Manufacture 1953
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1477cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BROWN
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

The "modern" DLVA colour descriptors are way off the mark :-?
Colour discrepancy is because it has recently been rebodied into an ice cream vanby Whitby Engineering, Crewe. I think this one was a minibus with factory body with side windows in a light brown colour until a few years back when sold on ebay. Nice conversion though... I'd certainly have an ice cream from it, and a coffee off Kate too. Otherwise I'll fend for myself!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

:D :D :D
lambrettalad wrote:please forgive my ignorance ,but what's to discuss?,Kate's coffee is lovely ,great discussion point etc.

especially after this years events
:x :x :x

stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Good on you Katt and a lovely business - you should definitely be invited
]
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It's taken care of, all should be happy.