Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MarkyB
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Thefts at Cornbury Park

Post by MarkyB »

Is this actually new or has it just got worse?
Even as a Londoner I tend to be more relaxed about security at events feeling that I'm among friends :( This puts a different light on things.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

MarkyB wrote:Is this actually new or has it just got worse?
Its been going on since the first National Autojumble I held a stall at in 2005 for sure and every one I "traded" at afterwards.
Its normally the small bits that disappear, never had anything large like wings go walkabouts for sure!! :o
Yes, its sad but happens just about everywhere these days.
You only have to walk around the supermarket and see the parents letting their kids stuff their faces on the way round for free then dumping the wrappers on a shelf somewhere. If they are dragged up like that then its little wonder eh! :roll:

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Bring back Victorian values!

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you should beat them black and blue and send them out to sweep chimneys from the age of five ( :lol: ) but children need proper discipline.
At present people, especially teachers, have their hands tied so far up behind their backs that they're afraid to speak out in case social services get to hear about it and take the kids away / get them the sack!
What we don't need is any more of the wishey washy liberal left claptrap that they try and indoctrinate people with from an early age these days!
That's what's ruined this country! :x
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Jagnut

I don't think the country is ruined but your right that some of the social changes have been difficult for schools to come to terms with ,plus a more litigious ethos has made life difficult for the vast majority of good people .
We lack strong moral guidance from government, the church and our neighbours etc,plus the constant dumming down etc.

Why o Why doesn't somebody say it's poor parenting :( :( :( :(

NOT just being poor that causes the problem's :roll: plus some people are just plain BAD,

Iv'e just parked the soap box up for the night :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

MarkyB wrote:Is this actually new or has it just got worse?
Even as a Londoner I tend to be more relaxed about security at events feeling that I'm among friends :( This puts a different light on things.
I've been trading at Nationals since 2002 (Harewood House) and have heard stories about things going missing from stalls, though not inthis league, normally small easily pocketable bits. The saying is that Morris Minors are a classless car and owned by folk from all walks of life, so I suppose with a cross section of 2000 people you'll find some thieving gits...

I know there were issues at the Donnington National on the camp site, but that was easily visible and accesable from the public road so anyone could have walked during the Sat eve. I panicked once when packing up at Haynes as I thought I'd had a steel sunvisor stolen. Later found it safely under one of the caravan seats :oops: but it was a reminder to be watchful....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Sad to learn of the amount of thieving at Cornbury Park, I went on Sunday and got a few last minute bargains :D. I was also a keen carbooter a few years ago both seller and buyer,there is a particular event in Oxford that was known for the local tea leafs to vist more than most, the last time I went to that one I got back to my motorcycle in the car park someone had nicked the sidepanel off my KH250!, :evil: never went back.
dicktalbot

Post by dicktalbot »

I am a small trader and we lost items to the value of £45 when you add that to the cost of getting ther and the work involved in setting up and maning your stall for 2 days it is very sad,but my wife was talking to the lady on the help the heros stall and they lost several items including mugs and thats more than sad thats dispicable.
dick talbot
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

my wife was talking to the lady on the help the heros stall and they lost several items including mugs and thats more than sad thats dispicable.
That's more than despicable, words fail me, at least polite ones, those lads died serving this country, that's like stealing from them after they were dead, those responsible should be ashamed of themselves, not that I suspect they are capable of even comprehending why they should feel shame, they are lower than brain dead lowlife scum, that again being too polite.

Personally I'd have them stripped and flogged through the streets and I won't apologise for saying that.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
barton

Post by barton »

We do not need to get paraniod about the series of thefts at this years Rally.
It will almost certanly be the work of outside groups.
These events are easy picking to these people.
They don't even need to load the booty into a car. Simply hide it, and return in a couple of days to collect.
We need to be aware of the risk/world we live in and take precautions, by never leaving stalls /cars unattended.
My wife and myself had a car boot stall which was always attended, even in the rain, and our small trailer locked at all times.

Brian Arton
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The thefts at Donnington were certainly by outsiders, I don't think the scrap value of Minor wings or exhausts is going to be high enough to attract even the most desperate of tea leaves.
Bring back the stocks for the next national!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The wings were reportedly stolen from a trader - hence new. Sell for a nice profit on Ebay

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Has anyone any idea which days the thefts occurred ? The Saturday, or Sunday, or both ?
PhilR
Minor Fan

Post by PhilR »

1098 wrote:Has anyone any idea which days the thefts occurred ? The Saturday, or Sunday, or both ?
As far as I am aware, the trader I spoke to said it was over the weekend and most likely when it was raining and people had gathered in his tent to avoid the rain (so both days!)
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

PhilR wrote:
1098 wrote:Has anyone any idea which days the thefts occurred ? The Saturday, or Sunday, or both ?
As far as I am aware, the trader I spoke to said it was over the weekend and most likely when it was raining and people had gathered in his tent to avoid the rain (so both days!)
Thanks PhilR. There has always been a little theft at these events,sadly I must add. But what appears to have happened at this one is quite serious.If anyone can actually contact the victims of these sad people,and give the days there items were stolen,that may show a pattern of people (low life's ) at work.
Prevention is better than cure. I would bet my bottom dollar a gang were at work,who came with the sole intention of thieving. They knew what they wanted,and chose their moments. They must have had legitimate access to the event as well,or entered illegally,and were, or were not challenged. Ringing any bells for anyone ?
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

As they say on crime watch someone somewhere knows :evil:
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If they arrived in a modern car and paid the required entry fee how would anyone know their intentions?

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

:roll: Who said there intentions somebody knows who did it somewhere
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Might be good if the club asked the offended parties if they wanted to put a small reward up ??? I would put in £20 to see them caught
JPX877J
Minor Fan

Post by JPX877J »

Regarding illegal entrance, what was the entry ticket system like? Did you get your ticket ripped or hand stamped or what?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Not nice but remember, we're dealing with the human animal here, which have behavior patterns ranging from good to downright evil.
Regarding the comment about kids eating the stock in supermarkets and hiding the empty packet back on the shelf, I pulled a culprit once, should have seen the parents face! However I made sure they went to the checkout with the empty container and paid the price. :D