Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
southerly95
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Angle grinder

Post by southerly95 »

My 2year old Clarke 'contractor' 115mm angle grinder is , for want of a better word, knackerred. Motor ok but the bevel gears and chuck bearing are wobbling about and making a dreadful noise.

What would MMOC members recommend for a tougher replacement?

The item is in regular use 2-3 evenings a week plus w/e's, thanks, John.
[sig]4918[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Angle grinder

Post by bmcecosse »

I think Aldi have one this weekend?? They always come with a good guarantee....
ImageImage
southerly95
Minor Fan

Post by southerly95 »

Thanks, shame they closed at 4pm today, unless they keep selling during the week at that price if still available?
[sig]4918[/sig]
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Wikes have an offer on a really good Makita grinder at the moment....depends what sort of quality you're looking for
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Might just need the bearings in the head replacing

plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I found that my Clarke grinder lasted longer than others- certainly the Halfords one that managed a day :o .
I think it's pot luck with grinders - you could get lucky and get a good one. I had to send 50 makitas back (when I was in the Fire Service) as they weren't fit for purpose - 2 lasted 1 cut of a padlock.
My best grinder was a Black and Decker professional - lasted years.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I've always found Bosch grinders very good. The last one I had lasted 7 years of nearly daily use, and its replacement is a nice powerful very slim design andeasy to hold. It did cost over £50 but the use they get its worth paying it. FOr hobby or occaisional use it may be difficult to justify. I've had some cheaper brands which have lasted a matter of weeks, but I liketo kep one in reserve just in case...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

My Makita is still going strong 1995. :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Aldi price stays the same - but when it's gone -it's gone. Sometimes after a few weeks if are left with stock, they drop the price a couple of £. But doesn't happen often with good deals like grinder etc.....
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I use de walt which are overpriced but I got it free :D .I think Ryobi are good and well priced
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

They are all probably made in the same Chinese factory but with different branding. Nothing lasts these days.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

DeWalt are made in the same factory as Black and Decker.
That was Spennymoor co.durham till a couple of years back.
They are all Asian now, b and d aint made in the States where they originate since the 60s.
Dewalt use a heavier duty motor and bearings than the standard black and decker.
Hence the cost.
Where angels fear to tread
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I have 2 of the Aldi ones plus another thats still in its box for the future.Theyre good and the 3 year warranty is better than most come with.The main problem with the Aldi warranty is that if the item goes faulty you only get a replacement if they have stock which is annoying if youre in the middle of a job and just want to get back to it instead of shopping somewhere else.No problem getting a refund though.A couple of years back I bought a die grinder kit from Aldi and just stuck it on the shelf untested.Months later when a job arose that called for it I found I had been sold a faulty item.I took it back and they had none but refunded immediately.The offers arent just for that day theyre on until theyre gone and that item regularly comes back on offer.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Given the stock turnover in Aldi that hardly amounts to a warranty at all!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Check out the Toolstation and Scewfix websites,
Lots of grinders to suit all pockets.
The trick with small 5" grinders is to work gently letting the machine cut at its own pace and not leaning on it to try to speed up the cut. :D

daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

I have a Black and Decker 100mm grinder circa 1987 and it has never let me down. Bought a cheap 115mm and it barely lasted 2 years with very minor use. I have since purchased a Macallister (115mm) and although it seems sturdy enough (thus far) the on/off switch is a bit clunky. If it lasts, then all is good.
And as mentioned it does seem that a lot of the grinders out there are just re-branded same devices.
Just to add, I only purchased the 115mm grinder as the discs are much cheaper than the 100mm ones. Shame, as I'd purchase the same model in the 115mm if I could.