Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dr@c
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

New or Original?

Post by Dr@c »

Hi all, some might know I'm still on the look out for a Moggie resto project, however I'm curious after looking around the site what the majority prefer, new or original?

By this I mean replace or try an restore where possible, I know there are certain upgrades to be done that will help to make a moggie a better daily driver, such as alternator from dyno etc etc. But how about all the other stuff? Such as carpets, bonnet badges, boot hinges, interior stuff, hubcaps, even engine components such as radiator etc I'm sure you get my drift by now lol. As a lot of things can be "saved".

I ask because I would likely replace a lot of things rather then try and restore everything as IMO newer is better in a lot of ways. :) I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks about it.

Cheers Paul

PS sorry if its been covered before, and If it doesn't make sense lol
GBond
Minor Fan

Re: New or Original?

Post by GBond »

Most of the original stuff can be reused, but it takes more time to restore than to buy a replacement.
I also thought like you that replacing stuff would be easier since newer is better BUT you have to take into account that the market for classic car spares is MUCH smaller than the spares market for recent cars and also that classic cars usually see less mileage. What this means is that there is less competition so many of the spares being made today are not nearly the same quality as old spares (Say, in 1970 there were several companies selling, for instance, distributor caps so each had to try and be better than the next. Nowadays there is less competition so whomever sells distributor caps will get the sale regardless)

In the long run it's also better for the budget if you can get time and restore your parts, and get to know your car better.

As for carpets and upholstery yes, I'd go for the newer stuff there.
Gabriel
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I prefer original where sensible, it doesn't seem to be the majority view though.
Rallies are full of highly restored shiny cars.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Dr@c
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr@c »

GBond wrote:Most of the original stuff can be reused, but it takes more time to restore than to buy a replacement.
I also thought like you that replacing stuff would be easier since newer is better BUT you have to take into account that the market for classic car spares is MUCH smaller than the spares market for recent cars and also that classic cars usually see less mileage. What this means is that there is less competition so many of the spares being made today are not nearly the same quality as old spares (Say, in 1970 there were several companies selling, for instance, distributor caps so each had to try and be better than the next. Nowadays there is less competition so whomever sells distributor caps will get the sale regardless)

In the long run it's also better for the budget if you can get time and restore your parts, and get to know your car better.

As for carpets and upholstery yes, I'd go for the newer stuff there.
I see what you mean, quality could suffer for those reasons which certainly isnt a good thing for sure. I suppose I would like to re-use what I can but if it was to far gone I would of course change it. I have looked about and the costs dont seem to high for many of the parts, which is what made me wonder :D
MarkyB wrote:I prefer original where sensible, it doesn't seem to be the majority view though.
I kind of thought that the majority would be to stay as original as possible, unless of course you make changes as I said to make it a more bareable daily driver 8)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As long as it 'looks' original - 'new' parts are sensible where safety and reliability are involved. However some ignition parts are better to be original ie coil/points/condenser/rotor arm.....the quality of new parts in this area is sadly deficient......
ImageImage
PhilR
Minor Fan

Post by PhilR »

MarkyB wrote:I prefer original where sensible, it doesn't seem to be the majority view though.
I disagree. The events I attend always have a cross section of cars in varying states. It's nice to see original non-restored cars as well as the beautifully kept restored examples.
My preference is to stick with original parts and clean and refurbish them, except where there are safety considerations... For example new inertia feel seatbelts as opposed to static originals.
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

:D I'm doing a restored shiny car but mostly refurbishing the old parts. I even managed to restore the glove boxes and door cards to better than new condition.

From my experience use original parts when possible for:
All metal parts (Sandblast, nickel or zinc-plate when possible, paint)
Light fixtures, switches (better quality than new reproductions)
Chromed parts

Use new for:
Improvements (seat belts, alternator, electronic ignition, brakes, tyres)
Upholstery
Rubber and sundries (for these there are different quality levels, try to go for the better ones. For ignition parts like bmcecosse said it's best to go for originals or I'd add for the "good" new ones from distributor doctor although they are much more expensive.)
Headlamps, if you'll drive at night get everything new. Old ones will have the chrome reflector pitted or rusty and will not give good illumination.

For internal engine components such as rings and bearings I found both the new and the NOS to be of equal quality.
Gabriel
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Isn't the idea of restoring a car, to use as much of it as possible, then the bits are as old as the log sheet says the car is. Otherwise the woodmans axe starts to take shape. Fair enough sometimes there's nothing left to repair and brakes etc need to be renewed from time to time. That's my view even if excellent quality parts are available, but sadly they are not.

Dr@c
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr@c »

Hmmm some interesting thoughts. I totally agree with the safety aspect, using more modern items is much better in those areas. Restoration is of course as it says, to restore something to its former glory but there are of course some parts you cannot do that. Just because your restoring a car doesn't necessarily mean that you have to use all the old parts neither does it mean you use all new for that matter, I guess you just have to use discretion when the time comes. No idea if that even makes sense lol 8)
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

It also depends on what you begin with I guess. If it's a complete, original although worn car then yes it would be a shame to throw everything away and replace the restorable original parts for new ones.

I've also seen some people start with basically empty shells and build their car to their own specification and I think this is also more difficult and a very respectable decision as well, and ends up saving many cars from the scrap yard that would be almost impossible to restore to original specification.

Moggies are very simple cars and there are not too many instances where a restorer has to decide between refurbishing an original part and getting a new one. New parts are often bought to replace missing ones or severely worn out ones.

I think at the end almost every restorer ends up spending more time on the car than what they did originally in the factory so in a sense it is more "his" (or "her") car and the final product will reflect the restorer's ideas.
Gabriel
Dr@c
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr@c »

Well said, I guess it does depend on a lot of different factors wether to restore or replace, more so which route the restorer wants to go down themselves. 8)
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Most of the modern parts aren't manufactured to the standards of the originals and I would refurbish what you can
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
There has also been allot of comments on here about the poor quality of panel fit with the replacements you can get, even the Heritage ones, so if you can save / rebuild your original wings for example you may be better doing so.
Best wishes,
Mike.

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,
There has also been allot of comments on here about the poor quality of panel fit with the replacements you can get, even the Heritage ones, so if you can save / rebuild your original wings for example you may be better doing so.
Best wishes,
Mike.

The problem is people won't pay for things that actually fit. I put a pair of NOS British Leyland 1000 front wings on ebay about 18 months ago to see what happened. Properly listed with photos/descriptions etc and the bidding went to less than for a pair of the cheap pattern wings, and some of the offers I got were plain silly! Fortunately I had set a reserve, so back in the shed they went ready for me to use one day!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Dr@c
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr@c »

Matt wrote:The problem is people won't pay for things that actually fit. I put a pair of NOS British Leyland 1000 front wings on ebay about 18 months ago to see what happened. Properly listed with photos/descriptions etc and the bidding went to less than for a pair of the cheap pattern wings, and some of the offers I got were plain silly! Fortunately I had set a reserve, so back in the shed they went ready for me to use one day!
That's true, same thing has happened to me in the past with my Mk2 Golf GTI wings I was trying to sell, suppose its like you say some people just aren't prepared to pay for original parts :o
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

I too prefer to keep as much as possible, but i wouldnt skimp on brakes, new all round if theres any doubt. your nice original car is no good after its been through a wall!! :D

Dr@c
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr@c »

stevey wrote:I too prefer to keep as much as possible, but i wouldnt skimp on brakes, new all round if theres any doubt. your nice original car is no good after its been through a wall!! :D
No that would not be good at all lol. :)
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

and unless you know the full history of the car you don't know what was original to the car or replaced anyway
margriff
Minor Fan

Post by margriff »

I've read comments and threads on this site that poo-poo different and turn up noses at cars that they dont think are 'correct'.

I have a Traf Blue 63' saloon...I sprayed the dash cream. "Sacrilege", "What the hell have you done" and "oh dear!" 3 comments I have received.

At the end of the day, when any of these cars drive down the street and people look, they ask..."wow-what was that?" and someone says "that was a Morris Minor".

If you buy your Moggy with your own hard earned...you do it how you like, as long as that Moggy isloved and driven and people see them and say "wow!"

THAT...is my 2 cents.
Sir Hugo Reginald Von Bartesby - "Burble and Squeak"
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

4th comment ''please say you're joking'' :D