Gaydon

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
teestoke
MMOC Member: No

Gaydon

Post by teestoke »

Just got back from Gaydon. Good turnout. Shame I didn't get mine done on time. At least I can take my time doing the rest of the work. Got few photos.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Re: Gaydon

Post by lambrettalad »

Very nice day lots of other makes of cars there as well,made the day interesting ,as( please don't take this badly :D ) once youv'e seen 50 travellers ,they start to look similar :-?
Last edited by lambrettalad on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
teestoke

Post by teestoke »

Very true. We paid to go into the museum too.

Looks like my photo didn't upload, so will try to send it with this message.

Terry
teestoke

Post by teestoke »

Ok, a reply to my own message, as the last two attempts to post a photo failed.
I have reduced it's size, and will try again.

Terry[frame]Image[/frame]
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

Very good day - great to see so many early ones - series 11s & series 111s

Rog
britab1967
Minor Fan

Post by britab1967 »

Had a great day at Gaydon today, despite the fuel pump giving up as we made it onto the car park. It must have been the bit of motorway driving as she was fine on the way home, although we took it easier.

I think we counted 217 Travellers, 26 saloons, 3 pick-ups, 3 1/2 vans and something like 35 other classics (depending on what you class as a classic.) Great to see so many.
[frame]Image[/frame]
Knebworth 2011 National Rally
Sky and Molly

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Just home, a great day out and well done to the organisers!! There were at least 10 and maybe 11 series 11 travellers on display which is the most there have been together for many years - certainly more than any of the last few national rallies. Great also to catch up with old friends and speak to lots of new folks as well.

Only minus point, some autojumble would have been good as we all like a bargain :D[frame]Image[/frame]

Too many Minors so little time.....
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:Just home, a great day out and well done to the organisers!! There were at least 10 and maybe 11 series 11 travellers on display which is the most there have been together for many years - certainly more than any of the last few national rallies. Great also to catch up with old friends and speak to lots of new folks as well.

Only minus point, some autojumble would have been good as we all like a bargain :D[frame]Image[/frame]
Well done David

Quite a journey
You made good time getting home

pdeanMM1000

Post by pdeanMM1000 »

We were one of the Saloons that turned up to support the 60th Anniversary of our Wooden cousins!
I was there celebrating the 65th Anniversary of the Saloon, as it was launched at Earls Court 20th September 1948, by seeing the 1st one.
Where were the rest of you Saloon owners?
I was really surprised that more didn't turn out to support.
It was a sunny day for the Tourers / Convertibles as well.

It was still a great day, great turn out of Travellers at a great location.

Did all the Cream Tea Rally drivers make it round the 63 mile course and back in time for plenty of clotted cream? :D
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Well I'd just like to thank the Organising Team for all their hard work yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Lovely turnout of Travellers.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

great day , great to see and meet up with everyone again. As David says, nice to see so many series 2s in one place.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

we had a great day even though we could not arrive in a moggy ,thank you david and lou i back flushed matildas cooling system got loads of brown rusty gunge out of it .the car seems to be running ok now .i have also ordered a head gasket will do it when im feeling brave . :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

britab1967 wrote:I think we counted 217 Travellers, 26 saloons, 3 pick-ups, 3 1/2 vans and something like 35 other classics (depending on what you class as a classic.) Great to see so many.
pdeanMM1000 wrote:It was a sunny day for the Tourers / Convertibles as well.
Including 3 Series MMs, one with the hood down, from the Oxon and Berks Branch
[sig]3580[/sig]
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

Yes yes a superb day out thanks to everyone

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Yes, a very enjoyable day, 'cept for my injured toe!

Thanks to all those who allowed me to note their vehicle's numbers - especially the chaps owning the early Ser2's.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

I had a great day, lovely to see everyone and the most series 2 travellers I have seen in one place, I think 10 in total! Well done to all that organized such a lovely day, well done you lot!
The car, with skis, had a lovely journey back to Portland, following an early series 2 traveller to past Newbury!
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

What a fantastic day, great venue, perfect weather, and an unbelievable collection of cars.

Well done to all concerned, best £5 worth I have spent in many years.

THANK YOU ALL, roll on next national rally where ever it is.

Regards Win
South Yorkshire
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

Totally Brilliant, thank you to all who arranged it , my day began with disaster and ended with disaster of sorts , i was supposed to set out at 7am to try and arrive for 9.30 , but my micra banger gig mobile which has never let me down in 4 years of ownership failed to start , i store our traveller about 8 miles away in secure storage as the locals here like to dance on top of your car on saturday nights !, i found the problem was a wire broken off the alternator to a capacitor / resistor type thingy (techno babble for no idea what its called ) anyway being a working jeweller i managed to solder a very fine piece of wire inside the end of the 'thingy' and attached a spade connector to that , connected up it still worked and fired up first time whizzed over pronto to pick up the traveller threw the missus and picnic set into the back and set off , we arrived at gaydon around 12.45 ish , i had noticed a bit of a clacking noise from the engine during the journey and was mildly concerned but not much i could do anyway.
As it was our first rally with the traveller i wasnt sure what the 'etiquette' was for selling spare parts as we had one or two to clear , some people just lob stuff onto the floor and leave it for perusal i left our bits in the back of the motor with a for sale sign and my phone number , it attracted the attention of a couple of folks who wanted to buy the car .....i was flabbergasted to recognise one gentleman who was the person who taught me my trade 40 years ago , how small a world is it !!! his partner was looking for a traveller ,she'd owned one years ago .
After a quick trip round the museum i got chatting to some fellow brummies which made me feel homesick all over again !
Upon leaving the site the engine noise was getting worse , i checked the oil level which was over 3/4 full and oil pressures were where they should be so i ploughed on, we were staying in brum overnight ,it made it convenient to pay a visit to the company in willenhall who had sold the engine to me, but as the guarantee had run out 6 weeks ago there wasn't much to be done , 3000 miles and the engine was definately not vorrrsprung whatever ....it was Kaputt !!! they were as mystified as me , we have run it in really carefully oil change at 500 then 1500 miles i've not even driven above 60mph in it yet , so i guess we were just plain unlucky . The company owner has asked me to take the engine down on my day off next monday and he and i are to rebuild it together i'll be doing the dirty bits and he will be doing the technical bits , he has offered his labour free of charge and i have to pay for any new bits required , i was pleased with the arrangement , it means more photo's for the album and i get to learn a whole lot more about the car , i can also change a few of the things like sump and tappet chest gaskets for neoprene rubber types and hopefully this will stem the traditional oil leaks.
We're looking forward to having the car back on the road by the first weekend in october fingers and everything else crossed and hopefully attending as many rallies as possible in 2014